Executive Member

Democrats saying they don't want to take guns away

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:45 pm

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Democrats saying they don't want to take guns away

Post by boglerdude » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

EU seems to be doing fine with stronger gun control.

If you like guns and meat and SUVs and other destructive things, just own that instead of convincing yourself climate change is a hoax etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

If you like guns and meat and SUVs and other destructive things, just own that instead of convincing yourself climate change is a hoax etc
This isn't the EU. We have a Constitutional republic, not a country where rights can be taken away at a whim.
Not yet, anyway.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm
boglerdude wrote:

This isn't the EU. We have a Constitutional republic, not a country where rights can be taken away at a whim.
Not yet, anyway.
you haven't lived in the republic of new york city yet .... our rights were pulled decades ago .

while we can easily get a residence permit , carry permits for ordinary citizens are off the table .

they have restrictions on the premise permits too ... the city just ran scared as some of the restrictions went to far and our courts agreed to hear the case after decades of not wanting to . so the city just eased up some restrictions on the premise permit in hopes of squashing the up coming case but so far the courts are not buying it . they want to hear the case being brought by the new york rifle and pistol association .
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:33 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:14 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:06 pm
boglerdude wrote:

Not yet, anyway.
you haven't lived in the republic of new york city yet .... our rights were pulled decades ago .

while we can easily get a residence permit , carry permits for ordinary citizens are off the table .

they have restrictions on the premise permits too ... the city just ran scared as some of the restrictions went to far and our courts agreed to hear the case after decades of not wanting to . so the city just eased up some restrictions on the premise permit in hopes of squashing the up coming case but so far the courts are not buying it . they want to hear the case being brought by the new york rifle and pistol association .
I have indeed lived in the People's Republic of New York City, and I'm quite aware of their completely unConstitutional victim disarmament laws.
The problem, of course, is that it is impossible for a citizen to bind a government to its promises, no matter how explicitly they are stated, because the only recourse is to ask another government entity to enforce those promises. This is an inherent conflict of interest of the most basic kind.
Would you do business with a company that gets to decide whether it is following a contract that it has agreed to?
This is why I'm an anarchist.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am

What is the rate of gun ownership where you live?

I grew up in intense suburbia Rhode Island and I actually thought that only the police and the bad guys owned guns. I had zero idea that regular people could and did own guns. Since it was the suburbs there wasn't any hunting in that area so even hunting was a foreign concept to me.

After I moved to this area (western MA) a friend had me hold and fire his gun when I was in the my early 30s. That was my first and only time shooting a real gun (as a kid I had every version of toy gun imaginable from six shooters, Winchester repeating rifles, to bazookas).

Later on an EMT told me that my town has the highest rate of gun ownership in the state. For some reason 45% seems to stick in my mind. But that was told to me 25 years ago so I might be off on that.

Finally, I think Massachusetts has among the most restrictive gun ownership laws of all the states? I also think Massachusetts has not had any mass shootings.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:49 am

https://www.heritage.org/crime-and-just ... ce-america

"Here are eight stubborn facts to keep in mind about gun violence in America:

Violent crime is down and has been on the decline for decades.
The principal public safety concerns with respect to guns are suicides and illegally owned handguns, not mass shootings.
A small number of factors significantly increase the likelihood that a person will be a victim of a gun-related homicide.
Gun-related murders are carried out by a predictable pool of people.
Higher rates of gun ownership are not associated with higher rates of violent crime.
There is no clear relationship between strict gun control legislation and homicide or violent crime rates.
Legally owned firearms are used for lawful purposes much more often than they are used to commit crimes or suicide.
Concealed carry permit holders are not the problem, but they may be part of the solution."

Read details in the linked article.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.