Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

No, this is NOT from the Onion

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:03 am

Here's an Elizabeth Warren tweet from the 7th:

"Thank you, @BlackWomxnFor! Black trans and cis women, gender-nonconforming, and nonbinary people are the backbone of our democracy and I don’t take this endorsement lightly. I'm committed to fighting alongside you for the big, structural change our country needs."
(https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1192 ... wsrc%5Etfw)

The comment thread on the Breitbart article about this tweet is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Just don't try to eat or drink while reading it:
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... democracy/
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: No, this is NOT from the Onion

Post by Tyler » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 am

The Breitbart comments are predictable, but the canary in the coal mine is that she also completely lost Twitter with that hot take.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:17 pm

Tyler wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:11 am
The Breitbart comments are predictable, but the canary in the coal mine is that she also completely lost Twitter with that hot take.
So there really is some limit to the level of insanity that she can get away with? That's good to know.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:15 pm

I’d like to comment, but since I’m @BlackWomxnFor on Twitter (you probably suspected), I should probably recuse myself.

No, seriously, this is a crazy age we’re living in. I used to turn on NPR and hear stories about science, history, and things that mattered to me. Now, it’s different.
RIP Marcello Gandini
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 pm

There's more educational content online than ever before. People want clickbait. Outrage/lashing out feels good man. Also we dont want to pay for "quality journalism"
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:07 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 pm
There's more educational content online than ever before. People want clickbait. Outrage/lashing out feels good man. Also we dont want to pay for "quality journalism"
What if we did want to pay for quality journalism? Where would we find it?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:55 am

Depends on the topic. Politics isnt a science, its just deciding who gets what resources, so I think you cant get the unbiased truth. Everyone has an agenda. Ergo I dont feel a moral obligation to have an opinion on political topics like Palestine. "Not my problem"

The New Yorker's pretty good. I will continue researching your question tho, I would like to able to have stronger (ie more informed/nuanced) opinions
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:09 am

I've lately become a fan of Reason magazine. And thinking of subscribing to the Wall Street Journal. I've been really impressed with the thoughtfulness of some of their reporting and opinion pieces.