55%?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

55%?

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

I am listening to Jackie Gingrich Cushman speaking to Republicans.

She just stated that 55% do not have friends of the other party.

I have friends who voted for Hillary and those who voted for Trump. I live in an area, though, where many have no friends who voted for Trump.

Are you part of the 55%? Or, do you have friends who voted for the opposite party to you?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: 55%?

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:54 am

I live in Seattle. If I didn't have friends who didn't vote for Trump, I'd have no friends.

Then again, I've dealt with hostile work environments at multiple companies as a "closet" Trump supporter/voter. And many folks who are so dismissive and condescending of those who hold different political views that I wouldn't want to be friends with them regardless...
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:31 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

I have friends who voted for Hillary and those who voted for Trump. I live in an area, though, where many have no friends who voted for Trump.

Are you part of the 55%? Or, do you have friends who voted for the opposite party to you?

Vinny
Surely you jest. Most Republicans I know think that the Democrats have lost their minds, but still have no problem being friends with them. By contrast, most Democrats (and the farther left their views, the more this is true) will delete your contact info from their phone and un-friend you on Facebook if they find out you even slightly disagree with their left-wing views.
Amen to that. My wife has a socially/morally/politically liberal friend of almost 50 years who did not speak to her (and other conservative friends) after the 2016 election for two years because she was so angry that Trump won. Talk about worshiping at the altar of self - TDS supreme! They are once again in contact; the s/m/p liberal friend came to the conclusion that she had behaved irrationally and their friendship was more valuable than whomever occupied the white house.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:48 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:48 am

Vinny
Surely you jest. Most Republicans I know think that the Democrats have lost their minds, but still have no problem being friends with them. By contrast, most Democrats (and the farther left their views, the more this is true) will delete your contact info from their phone and un-friend you on Facebook if they find out you even slightly disagree with their left-wing views.
Was not. I wrote the above while I was listening. After I wrote what I wrote she later said it again except this time it seemed like she was saying that it was 55% of Republicans do not have friends of the opposite party. Which made more sense given that she was speaking to an all Republican audience and the theme of her talk was how to be more effective with the other party.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:53 pm
The only way I could see that being accurate is maybe in a rural town in a red state where there simply aren't enough Dems for anyone to shun as friends.

Here in the burbs of a blue state, there are plenty of both Rs and Ds and I stick by my original statement.

Within a few seconds of an internet search I find this:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/10/18 ... ity-based/

"Today, 55% of Republicans and 64% of Democrats say they have few or no friends in the opposite party."

This was her writing. Today I thought I twice heard her say "no".

Vinny
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:50 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 pm
"Today, 55% of Republicans and 64% of Democrats say they have few or no friends in the opposite party."
Note the terminology... "in the opposite party".

It's not a sports team, nor a life-long, exclusive commitment. Politicians may be members of a party, but to try to cast voters in such a single-dimension is a disservice, IMO, and part of the problem (people thinking about it that way, rather than about ideas/ideals)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:50 pm
vnatale wrote:
Note the terminology... "in the opposite party".

It's not a sports team, nor a life-long, exclusive commitment. Politicians may be members of a party, but to try to cast voters in such a single-dimension is a disservice, IMO, and part of the problem (people thinking about it that way, rather than about ideas/ideals)
She was addressing Republicans in the context of Republican voters, not Republican politicians.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:23 pm

vnatale wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:53 pm
The only way I could see that being accurate is maybe in a rural town in a red state where there simply aren't enough Dems for anyone to shun as friends.

Here in the burbs of a blue state, there are plenty of both Rs and Ds and I stick by my original statement.

Within a few seconds of an internet search I find this:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/10/18 ... ity-based/

This was her writing. Today I thought I twice heard her say "no".

Vinny
If those stats are correct, kind of points out who is more tolerant in action rather than in virtue signaling. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm
She was addressing Republicans in the context of Republican voters, not Republican politicians.
That is what I understood and was responding to. I think it's a disservice to our country to label individual voters as being "in" a party, vs voting for one (or voting for a candidate who's a member of one).

It makes it like religion -- you can only be one, and there's "us" and "them".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:05 pm

Most of my friends are fiercely anti-Trump, but we keep political talk to a minimum at meals. A few of them get kind of annoying, as they can find a way to connect a hair in one’s soup to the President.

I have a shrink friend who has a patient who is afraid to express her pro-Trump sentiments. And of course, plenty of patients who are stressed by Trump.

My parents voted for Trump and love him. I cannot imagine it ever getting in the way of our good relationship.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:19 pm
That is what I understood and was responding to. I think it's a disservice to our country to label individual voters as being "in" a party, vs voting for one (or voting for a candidate who's a member of one).

It makes it like religion -- you can only be one, and there's "us" and "them".
I listen to Washington Journal on C-Span almost every morning of the week. And, there are high percentage of the callers who self-identify themselves as either a Democrat or a Republican.

Vinny
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
there are high percentage of the callers who self-identify themselves as either a Democrat or a Republican.
Curious, do you (or anyone else here) think most people are that way?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:55 pm

Almost all of my friends are Democrats ;D ;D

EDIT almost all of my civilian friends.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:07 am

drumminj wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm
there are high percentage of the callers who self-identify themselves as either a Democrat or a Republican.
Curious, do you (or anyone else here) think most people are that way?
1) Just a few seconds ago C-Span's Washington Journal just finished a segment wherein they just had Democratic callers calling in as to whether they would vote for Bloomberg. They'll regularly have these things wherein it's only Democrats, Republicans, or Independents who they want to call in. There is NEVER a shortage of calls wherein they are waiting for the next person to call.

2) I've worked in small places where a high percentage of the people there would never for the Democratic candidate. Where I am now I am almost certain there are no Trump voters.

3) Overall where I live in Massachusetts (the western part of the state) there is an extreme high percentage of voters who would never vote Republican.

4) From all I've read here there seems to be a fairly high percentage of Trump voters / percentage.

Now to do some research. The first thing I come across seems quite useful:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/part ... ation.aspx

As of last month, Independents were the highest - 43% with Republicans 26% and Democrats at 29%. But if we combine the two parties we get 55%, which is the majority of voters.

Therefore, my answer to your question would be a resounding Yes!

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:39 am

The only way I can have friends who are Democrats is if they agree not to discuss politics because any such discussion inevitably results in an emotional meltdown by the Democrat.
I have exactly one friend in that category, and she's really my wife's friend, not mine.
As for my family, the same holds true. Everyone in my immediate family is a Democrat, and I've had to make a strict rule not to discuss politics or we end up in a very unpleasant confrontation caused by an emotional meltdown on their side.