Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by Maddy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Anyone here have kids in the house, say age 5-18? I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong. A simple point is how quickly he turns on anyone who has any level of disagreement with him. There's no level headed debate. You instantly end up being called a loser, in the gutter, and earn a 5th grade bully nickname.
Really? This is what concerns you most? You must be living in a different reality than I am.

What is sufficiently "presidential" behavior when you're singlehandedly battling a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Anyone here have kids in the house, say age 5-18? I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong. A simple point is how quickly he turns on anyone who has any level of disagreement with him. There's no level headed debate. You instantly end up being called a loser, in the gutter, and earn a 5th grade bully nickname.
Really? This is what concerns you most? You must be living in a different reality than I am.

What is sufficiently "presidential" behavior when you're singlehandedly battling a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built?
I absolutely could be wrong, but it is the main thing for me. I am fine with many of his positions and much of what he's trying to accomplish. But, rightly or wrongly, I do not care because his methods "trump" his accomplishments for me. I know, it is illogical.

And, no disrespect, but what values and culture are being destroyed in your opinion?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am
Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

I absolutely could be wrong, but it is the main thing for me. I am fine with many of his positions and much of what he's trying to accomplish. But, rightly or wrongly, I do not care because his methods "trump" his accomplishments for me. I know, it is illogical.

And, no disrespect, but what values and culture are being destroyed in your opinion?
Family. Sanctity of life. Biological birth sex of humans. Individual responsibility. God. Bill of Rights. Trustworthy politicians. Selflessness.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm
The trumpsters here are goldbugs right, but if he could get his hands on the printing press he'd crank it all the way up, no?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Economics/comm ... and_urges/
Yes, The printing press or something to that effect. Nobody is Perfect right ? :o
Trump has Treasury Sec. Steve Mnuchin that is a former Goldman Sachs guy, so that is probably where he is coming from.
Along with looking at Liquidity from a Business/Real estate point of view and not a Savers point of view.
So I see them looking for the next quarter numbers.
Liquidity is the fuel for the Markets.(until is isn't)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Maddy wrote:

Family. Sanctity of life. Biological birth sex of humans. Individual responsibility. God. Bill of Rights. Trustworthy politicians. Selflessness.
Mountaineer, I respect your positions and I know you are a religious man.

But, Trump is a trustworthy politician? And selfless? Certainly that is a great goal of all politicians, but he scores zero on both of those and is not helping the continuing situation where we don't debate anymore, we label and hate those who don't agree with us.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:00 am

Yes. I echo the questions regarding..."trustworthy" "selflessness". And, not Trump but due to the actions of a fellow Republican....was the Iraq War an example of the "Sanctity of life". How many lives, both in Iraq and our country, were tremendously negatively affected by that needless war?

Vinny

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

But, Trump is a trustworthy politician? And selfless? Certainly that is a great goal of all politicians, but he scores zero on both of those and is not helping the continuing situation where we don't debate anymore, we label and hate those who don't agree with us.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 am
I don’t want to put words in your mouth. You think the birth certificate presented was not genuine?
Right.
dualstow wrote:
Didn’t that actor/comedian from MadTV (Ike B-something. Barenholtz?) grow up with him in or near Chicago?
I have no idea.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am

Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Anything that interferes with the relentless attack of the left on the Constitution and American society in general is "unpresidential", according to the left.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am
Maddy wrote:

Anything that interferes with the relentless attack of the left on the Constitution and American society in general is "unpresidential", according to the left.
"Unpresidential"
That's a joke right?
Attachments
Hopelessly Dependent.png
Hopelessly Dependent.png (265.37 KiB) Viewed 7006 times
Last edited by shekels on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am

Some truth in the picture. However we do have these corporations who write all the rules and control the country for their benefit first, ours second.

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Maddy wrote:

Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am
Some truth in the picture. However we do have these corporations who write all the rules and control the country for their benefit first, ours second.

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

That IMHO is why Trump was elected.
To shift away from the Elites Control.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Well may be one of the reasons. But is he doing it? Are any non-Elites represented in his Cabinet? Is he NOT a servant of the Elites? Is not serving his own interests (as, perhaps, himself being one of the Elites)?

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

My response about values being abolished by the culture were not about Trump, they were about "a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built" that was in an earlier post that is not captured in your quote above. The values I mentioned, other than the Bill of Rights, are the bedrock of society as evidenced by several thousand years of history and practice about what enables a somewhat functional society with hopefully, chaos and anarchy reduction, and very little on the fact that I believe the promises of our Trinitarian God. I further think that our Trinitarian God (whether you believe in Him or not) is in charge of all that is happening to achieve His good purposes whether we can understand them or not; you might even say He is giving us exactly what we, as an apparently increasingly Godless country, have wished for. Repentance and faith are a gifts from God, I hope He decides to give it to all of us with ears to hear.

However, since you asked my thoughts about Trump, I'll give my two cents. His morals appear to be sorely lacking, he appears to be very narcissistic (those two characteristics are merely reflections of much of our culture), he appears to value an exceptional America, he appears to put the American citizens (of which he is one) ahead of non-American citizens - both those within and those without our borders (those are reflections of our increasingly culture of the past). I'm not a believer in "the ends justify the means" but in the civil realm (not theological) I can only really evaluate Trump based on what he does, and what he appears to stand for, not primarily on what he says or tweets; in the theological realm, absolute judgement about Trump's heart, his faith, his beliefs, his morals is way above my paygrade and best left to God. Thus, overall, I would give Trump higher marks than most recent presidents for truly putting America closer to the values on which it was founded. I'm sure it is a thankless job, just look at how most presidents have "aged" while in office. I'm also quite sure there is way more to the picture than what is revealed to the majority of us. I'd also say he understands our "celebrity, entertainment, it's all about me" current culture better than any of his adversaries; Trump appears to daily play them like a chess master while they think they are playing checkers. I'm sure his adversaries are not dumb, they just can't see the big picture because of their preconceived notions about how great they are and their feces could not possibly stink so the swamp stench must not be due to themselves. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:43 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am
Well may be one of the reasons. But is he doing it? Are any non-Elites represented in his Cabinet? Is he NOT a servant of the Elites? Is not serving his own interests (as, perhaps, himself being one of the Elites)?

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Half a loaf is better than no bread.

It is Unfortunate he is not surrounded by Non elites,
But when the Elites run the country I expect it.

But look at the establishment Never Trumpers that have Seem to come around.
Except maybe Pierre Delecto.
When you start a movement sometimes you take what you can get. Time will Tell.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:05 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

Trustworthy? I believe him much more than I believe any other politician other than possibly Ron Paul and Rand Paul. Score: 9/10.
Selfless? He gave up a life of ease and comfort to do battle with the forces of evil. Score: 9/10.
And I have Trump Derangement Syndrome? ;) I'll give you the trustworthy portion, although his day to day memory/telling of what he did or did not say hours or days before is questionable.

but...

self·less·ness
noun

concern more with the needs and wishes of others than with one's own.
"a noble act of selflessness"

I don't think so.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:33 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:15 pm
He had a fine life before he ran for President. Now he is attacked 24/7 by the vast majority of the media as well as the other Democrats.
Yet he is continuing to try to fulfill the promises he made to his supporters, when he could much more easily give up and go back to his previous life.
Sounds like he is more concerned with the needs and wishes of his supporters than his own.
There is another possibility.
Perhaps Donald Trump gets off on being the most powerful human on the planet.
He wouldn’t be the first.
Now I know, in his case, ego is not an issue, but maybe....
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:33 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
He had a fine life before he ran for President. Now he is attacked 24/7 by the vast majority of the media as well as the other Democrats.
Yet he is continuing to try to fulfill the promises he made to his supporters, when he could much more easily give up and go back to his previous life.
Sounds like he is more concerned with the needs and wishes of his supporters than his own.
I'm sure Trump gets off on that but has there been a president, at least in modern times, that you couldn't say that about?

Garfield seems to have been a truly reluctant president, based on the biographies that I have read, but that was back in the time before the American empire.

Nowadays it seems like like some degree of psychopathology is simply a job requirement.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:27 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am
dualstow wrote:
I don’t want to put words in your mouth. You think the birth certificate presented was not genuine?
Right.

On what basis?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:

Is it possible he is "attacked" so because he deserves to be? Some of us believe that the media has been way too mild on him given the unprecedented number of documented lies he has made.

We just seem to live in two different worlds.

To me, he is not of high intellect. Not dumb but I see no signs of exceptional intelligence.

Terrible character. Don't see anything admirable about him. If you had a daughter would be in high in your choices of potential husbands?

The lies. If you and I personally knew one another and you lied to me just once you'd forever be on probation with me and possibly never believed. You'd certainly never get any benefits of the doubt.

His work habits are terrible. Again, would you want him as your boss?

His decision making process is terrible. Seemingly by whimsy with almost no serious study.

I could go on and on and on. But I'm sure you are happy I'll choosing to stop here.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
Of course it is a major, major, major reason! Why else could both Biden and Bernie be running. Do each of them truly believe that at their advanced ages (actually they'd become president past the current expectancy age for U.S. males - let that sink in!) that they are the BEST candidate in our entire country. For each of them it HAS to be PURE ego as their major reasons for running. And, it's just one of the reasons why I detest both of them.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:44 pm

jacksonm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm
dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
I'm sure Trump gets off on that but has there been a president, at least in modern times, that you couldn't say that about?

Garfield seems to have been a truly reluctant president, based on the biographies that I have read, but that was back in the time before the American empire.

Nowadays it seems like like some degree of psychopathology is simply a job requirement.
For anyone to run for president and put themselves and their families through all they have to go through there would, of course, have to be a healthy amount of ego involved. However, once in the job, some of them have seriously taken on their responsibilities and set aside that ego. Two that quickly come to mind are Truman (wasn't he called the "accidental president" and Coolidge). Coolidge seemed to be ZERO ego and ALL getting the work done.

Vinny
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

Is it possible he is "attacked" so because he deserves to be? Some of us believe that the media has been way too mild on him given the unprecedented number of documented lies he has made.

We just seem to live in two different worlds.

To me, he is not of high intellect. Not dumb but I see no signs of exceptional intelligence.

Terrible character. Don't see anything admirable about him. If you had a daughter would be in high in your choices of potential husbands?

The lies. If you and I personally knew one another and you lied to me just once you'd forever be on probation with me and possibly never believed. You'd certainly never get any benefits of the doubt.

His work habits are terrible. Again, would you want him as your boss?

His decision making process is terrible. Seemingly by whimsy with almost no serious study.

I could go on and on and on. But I'm sure you are happy I'll choosing to stop here.

Vinny
1. Intelligence:
Considering the opposition he faces, to accomplish anything at all he must be either extremely intelligent, or the luckiest man in the world.
I think the former is much more likely.

2. Character:
If his character is so terrible, how could he be subjected to a completely unlimited witch hunt for several years and have that witch hunt end with absolutely nothing?

3. Lies:
He has made a number of jokes and some exaggerations (called "puffery" in advertising). I haven't heard him make a single statement that I would consider a lie of any significance.

4. His work habits:
He works harder than anyone I know. He gets about 3 hours of sleep a night and works at least twice as much as any other President I've lived under.

5. His decision making process:
He has excellent instincts and has made very few mistakes that I can recall, other than choosing subordinates, and in many of those cases he was undoubtedly misadvised by swamp creatures to get him to hire the wrong people.

Hope that helps.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:00 am

tech, I am glad to see your points because it helps me stay balanced. I have been leaning far to the left lately.

Only item I will dispute here is 4. Work Habits. I don't know, maybe he does work 18 hours a day. But the hypocrisy of his pre-president tweets at Obama golfing so much, and the amount of golfing he does putting that to shame is the kind of stuff I hate out of Washington.

You have a good point on #2, they still haven't nailed him with anything substantial.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
jacksonm2 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm
< snip >
Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:14 pm
Ok, maybe he does.
That doesn't distinguish him particularly from most other Presidents.
It certainly doesn't make him uniquely terrible as a President.
Like I said, he wouldn’t be the first.
I was responding specifically to your premise above, tech, which I put in blue font, that the reason Trump is not living his old life of luxury is because he cares so much about his subjects. No, he’s bending America to the shape he wants, which is something we should expect, but let’s just say it.

Sure, he needs a critical number of voters with some overlap in sentiment, but I don’t accept for a second that he cares about them, much less the other half of the population.

The man has a vast supply of energy and drive. I’ll give him that.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am

It's so easy to be an armchair psychologist, but remember that your sources of unbiased information about Donald Trump as a person are very, very limited. I have no idea what his personality, work habits etc are like, and neither do any of you. Remember how George Bush was always in Texas cutting switchgrass? Being President would burn out most of us, and decompressing is something I'm glad they're able to do.

The one reliable fact that can be distilled from news reports is the very high rate of people quitting the administration. I don't know how much of this is due to the increasing pressure cooker that Washington has become in general, or the effects of having to fight most of Washington and various ongoing investigations constantly, Trump's rages and interpersonal issues, or someone else's rages and interpersonal issues. To the extent that it's Trump, that is most definitely a concern for his re-election - which is compounded if he's making unilateral off the cuff decisions with essentially no input from his staff.

I tend to think that the other possibilities contribute significantly though. The fact is that Washington insiders are mad as hell that he was elected in the first place, and they started pummeling him in rage/revenge starting practically on day 1. It was very striking to me how the voters were expected to do as they were told, and it just felt so good to see things turn out differently. This is probably wrong of me, but whenever the mainstream media gives an opinion on X, I instantly assume that what's actually best is Not X.

Oh, and for an example of the above, check out what our darling mayor & council (NYC) has managed to pull off for today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/nyre ... n-nyc.html

There are some French Michelin star restaurants in the this city that probably will have something to say about this. Go Daniel Boulud.