What is your current portfolio?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

What is your current portfolio?

Post by jalanlong » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:14 am

I am interested to know from those who have been studying this a while, how many of you are still in the traditional vanilla 4x PP vs how many of you have done modifications (adding small caps or momentum etfs) or have changed your percentages entirely?
Last edited by jalanlong on Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What us your current portfolio?

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am

I've only been using the PP since 2016, and already have had severe doubts about the PP... However I haven't actually changed anything, except maybe added a VP (Variable Portfolio) for about 5% of my total invested capital.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:46 am

A correct inference is that you initially went 100% Permanent Portfolio?

Could you reveal how you invested each of the four segments (i.e., bought long term bonds or bought long-term bond fund, gold fund versus buying actual gold, and so on)?

Thanks

Vinny
europeanwizard wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:43 am
I've only been using the PP since 2016, and already have had severe doubts about the PP... However I haven't actually changed anything, except maybe added a VP (Variable Portfolio) for about 5% of my total invested capital.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:34 pm

I initially went all in with the PP in 2008 but transitioned to the GB about 3 years ago. The reason I did that was precisely for the reason people often warn about with the standard 4x4 - that it will be hard to stick with in times of prosperity when stocks are outperforming (hello Bud and Mathjak). The GB makes this much more palatable and if Tyler's charts are correct there is very little, if any, downside to it in comparison with the 4x4.
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:55 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:46 am
Could you reveal how you invested each of the four segments (i.e., bought long term bonds or bought long-term bond fund, gold fund versus buying actual gold, and so on)?
I'm in Europe, where we have to deal with negative interest rates and a rather lackluster economy. So I've got 25% gold ETF, 25% euro govt. bonds 7-10yr, 25% world stock market and 25% cash in a consumer savings account with high yield (and "high" meaning 0.5%).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:52 pm

Thanks for providing the requested information!

Vinny
europeanwizard wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:55 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:46 am
I'm in Europe, where we have to deal with negative interest rates and a rather lackluster economy. So I've got 25% gold ETF, 25% euro govt. bonds 7-10yr, 25% world stock market and 25% cash in a consumer savings account with high yield (and "high" meaning 0.5%).
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What is your current portfolio?

Post by boglerdude » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 am

Underweight gold because of a rental property (inflation) and underweight US stocks because the rental is sensitive to US economy
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am

jacksonm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:34 pm
I initially went all in with the PP in 2008 but transitioned to the GB about 3 years ago. The reason I did that was precisely for the reason people often warn about with the standard 4x4 - that it will be hard to stick with in times of prosperity when stocks are outperforming (hello Bud and Mathjak). The GB makes this much more palatable and if Tyler's charts are correct there is very little, if any, downside to it in comparison with the 4x4.
Similar story here. I started the PP in 2010 (first using PPRFX then switched to a 25x4 in 2012), then started moving to the Golden Butterfly about a year ago. My reason was different from Jackson's though - it's because historically, the eras where the PP is likely to outperform the GB are all less common historically than prosperity, whereas the GB's underperformance relative to the PP in other conditions is small. No VP. Active retirement accounts are a separate stock/bond portfolio.

I've also been incorporating a slice of individual stock holdings into the GB's stock allocation - not as a VP like dualstow has done. I just decided I didn't want to be 100% into index funds...can't explain exactly why except that because they've become a dominant force in the market, so the likelihood of smart people figuring out how to game the system to my disadvantage goes up. And index funds are not a PP requirement per se; the portfolio works just fine with a basket of individual stocks.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:42 am

Regardless of the exact variant, it is days like today that make me glad I am in the PP.

There is so much potentially bad news (or findable bad news if that's what you are looking for!) out there that I would probably never be invested. The PP allows me to be, regardless of the market behaving irrationally or not, whether that's stocks, bonds or gold. I don't need to divine what the direction is.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 am

std 4x25 pp here, i have a couple (very) small amounts of shv and edv that i picked up out of curiosity, but they are realistically way to small a percentage to consider them tilt.
i did have a 401k at a previous employer that i had put some small cap in, also due to curiosity(again probably to small to call it tilting) but it got converted to std 4x when i moved it after a job switch.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:49 pm

Vanilla PP here. My VP is all stocks at this point.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:14 pm

Fairly vanilla PP here.

A small sliver of silver in the precious metals portion. I also have factor tilts in the equity portion. That's about it. Everything else is by the book.

Very satisfied with the PP strategy.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
stpeter

Post by stpeter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:01 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:41 am
jacksonm2 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:34 pm
Similar story here. I started the PP in 2010 (first using PPRFX then switched to a 25x4 in 2012), then started moving to the Golden Butterfly about a year ago. My reason was different from Jackson's though - it's because historically, the eras where the PP is likely to outperform the GB are all less common historically than prosperity, whereas the GB's underperformance relative to the PP in other conditions is small. No VP. Active retirement accounts are a separate stock/bond portfolio.
Golden Butterfly indeed looks intriguing. What rebalance bands do you GB folks use?
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:42 am

Stocks 27% (mostly ITOT)
Bonds 23% (all 30 year T-bonds)
Gold 23% (mostly SGOL and IAU)
Cash 27% (divided between FDLXX /STTs/US savings bonds)

-No VP
-Annual Roth IRA conversions.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:18 pm

My IRA is a 4x25 in ESGV, VGLT, VUSXX, GLDM, and some individual gold coins (since lost at sea ;D )

My 401k is essentially the same but uses the plan sponsor's cash and S&P500 funds.

Taxable cash is in an online savings account.
amdda01

Post by amdda01 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:37 am

foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:06 pm

I started PP in 2010, first it was all in PRPFX, then I moved to the classic PP, but eventually ended up with with a modified cashless version of GB:

25% FZROX
15% IJR
5% SCZ
5% DGS
30% FNBGX + individual LTTs
20% SGOL
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:34 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:14 am
I am interested to know from those who have been studying this a while, how many of you are still in the traditional vanilla 4x PP vs how many of you have done modifications (adding small caps or momentum etfs) or have changed your percentages entirely?
Classical 25x4 HBPP
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:03 pm

Regular PP for 9 peaceful years.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:43 pm

40 Stocks
40 Long Bond
20 Gold
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:50 pm

Vanilla PP here. One PP for each tax regime.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:43 am

escafandro wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:43 pm
40 Stocks
40 Long Bond
20 Gold
May I ask what drew you to that portfolio?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:05 am

jalanlong wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:43 am
escafandro wrote:
40 Stocks
40 Long Bond
20 Gold
It’s a very good mix historically.
escafandro
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by escafandro » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Kbg wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:05 am
jalanlong wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:43 am
escafandro wrote:
40 Stocks
40 Long Bond
20 Gold
It’s a very good mix historically.
Yes, that is the main reason.
As a foreigner from a peripheral country I cannot put together a local PP and I don't like the idea of ​​being overexposed to the dollar either.
Notice that I am quite improvised as an investor so my reasoning surely has some flaw, but I think that the PP has a low correlation to the dollar. Not always but in general my currency moves in positive correlation to gold.
Thereby when the dollar strengthens in my country my portfolio is probably going down and vice versa.
So I like this portfolio for its return prospects and for the correlation it has regarding the dollar and gold (a little softer in both cases than the PP and a little less reactive to exchange rate variation).