The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Maddy » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:48 pm

sophie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 am
For people buying drugs from India...here's a pretty scary article to gulp down with your Valsartan:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... st-the-fda

Importing drugs from Canada is a crazy idea. The reason Bernie wants to do it is that Canada's government negotiates prices with the pharmaceuticals, which means they don't pay the market rates charged in the US. Removing the gag order that prevents CMS from doing the same here would be a much more direct and logical approach. The effort currently underway to limit the ability to artificially extend drug patents by tweaking formulations (e.g. the "extended release" dodge) is also quite sensible.
Looks like the problem was with China. (Big surprise.) To the best of my knowledge, India is the source of the lion's share of generics we see here in the U.S.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Two For Tuesday

French teacher fired for not using trans student’s preferred pronouns (He called the student by his/her name)
https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out ... r-n1060876

Remember Smollett, or as Dave Chappelle refers to him, Juicy Smolliér?
Smollett case special prosecutor donated $1,000 to Kim Foxx’s campaign, co-hosted fundraiser
https://www.foxnews.com/us/smollett-cas ... fundraiser
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 pm
dualstow wrote:Breaking: Schwab to end trading commissions

Great news for everyone except people who own Schwab stock.
O0 true! Or stock in similar firms. They fell, broadly.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:30 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:13 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:41 pm
dualstow wrote:Breaking: Schwab to end trading commissions

Great news for everyone except people who own Schwab stock.
O0 true! Or stock in similar firms. They fell, broadly.
Just got an email that TD Ameritrade is also eliminating all commissions on stocks and ETFs.

C'mon Fidelity...give!!!!!!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4AbJrsZwU

Some family & USA Today got some kid fired for playing the circle game:

By saying he was flashing a white power hand sign. That the ADL decided was a hate symbol. Months after the picture was taken. The ADL's website actually uses the diagram from 4chan to explain how it means white power. Also the kid wasn't even doing the hand gesture. ::) ;D

I saw that headline and had to chuckle a bit. I figured Tim was going to get after it. Poor guy could probably sue for wrongful termination and defamation or whatever.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:46 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4AbJrsZwU

Some family & USA Today got some kid fired for playing the circle game:

By saying he was flashing a white power hand sign. That the ADL decided was a hate symbol. Months after the picture was taken. The ADL's website actually uses the diagram from 4chan to explain how it means white power. Also the kid wasn't even doing the hand gesture. ::) ;D

I saw that headline and had to chuckle a bit. I figured Tim was going to get after it. Poor guy could probably sue for wrongful termination and defamation or whatever.
I think we're reaching a point where the strategy of the far left should start to become apparent to all thinking people. It's defame, destroy, and silence anyone who disagrees with them and truth be damned.

I'm hoping this mindset will turn out to be nothing more than a passing phase but I am not hopeful about it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:40 pm

I saw that, too, and I thought that was just bizarre. Can’t even blame 4chan if the ADL and others are going to be so stupid and fall for this.

4chan comes up with some crazy stuff. They had a campaign to answer CAPTCHA or some similar test with the N-word as their “guess”, on a mass scale, until machine learning decided that the N-word would be part of the test.

i can’t blame rudimentary software for being so easily duped but I can certainly blame the ADL. Ugh.

Let’s hope someone talks some sense into them and they reverse their decision.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 am

When someone takes this thread a little too seriously: #EatTheBabies

(I know it's likely a political stunt, but I admire the originality.)
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 am

jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm
I think we're reaching a point where the strategy of the far left should start to become apparent to all thinking people. It's defame, destroy, and silence anyone who disagrees with them and truth be damned.
It's often referred to as "Cancel Culture".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:57 am

Tyler wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 am
When someone takes this thread a little too seriously: #EatTheBabies

(I know it's likely a political stunt, but I admire the originality.)
A modest proposal
t-bear52
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by t-bear52 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:16 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:47 am
jacksonm2 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm
It's often referred to as "Cancel Culture".
The key words are "thinking people". I don't have much faith in the majority being "thinking people" these days. It's Sad!
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:21 pm

At an LGBQT event, Beto was asked if he would support removal of tax-exempt status for religious institutions which are anti-gay. His answer, "Yes".

He is the gift that keeps on giving. I hope he does well in an early primary, so more people can hear him on the news.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Seattle Schools Lead Controversial Push to 'Rehumanize' Math
The Seattle school district is planning to infuse all K-12 math classes with ethnic-studies questions that encourage students to explore how math has been “appropriated” by Western culture and used in systems of power and oppression, a controversial move that puts the district at the forefront of a movement to “rehumanize” math.

The district’s proposed framework outlines strands of discussion that teachers should incorporate into their classes. One leads students into exploring math’s roots “in the ancient histories of people and empires of color.” Another asks how math and science have been used to oppress and marginalize people of color, and who holds power in a math classroom.

——
We’re #1
In Math. Not.
:P
https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2019 ... anize.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:24 pm

P.S. Below a facile defense by someone called iconoklast, there is a very good (IMO) comment from redditor nainahg. It begins thusly:
I’m from an African country that used to be a British colony. Because I was interested in maths while growing up I read the Men of Mathematics, like a lot of like minded people in English speaking countries. I thought of them as my heroes and had no problem growing up wanting to be like them. Never once did the thought occur to me that I couldn’t be a mathematician. It was only in uni that for the first time some people — almost always white — made me notice that those men were not like ‘my people’. Whatever my beliefs were then, this is something I completely reject now.
Euler, Poincare etc are in reality more *my* people than they are of *those* white people, invariably from humanities departments who are suspicious and resentful of science and math. The only thing that connects them is skin colour while what connects me is something much deeper. What is worse is they mistake the expression of their own ignorance and possibly white hot self-hate as some kind of sophisticated insight.
https://www.reddit.com/r/math/comments/ ... l_push_to/
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:33 pm

Phase 1: Integrate all ethnicities and economic strata within school districts, giving all an equal opportunity to succeed. Result: Smart, motivated kids still did better.

Phase 2: Move lower-achieving students to the head of the line, giving them artificially-created opportunities to succeed that other students don't have. Result: Smart, motivated kids still did better.

Phase 3: Give extra points to traditionally disadvantaged students to make up for their lack of advantage. Result: Smart, motivated kids still did better.

Phase 4: Rig the tests so that lower-achieving students appear to do as well as their peers. Result: Smart, motivated kids still did better.

Phase 5: Dumb down the curriculum to make achievement equally possible for everyone. Result: Smart, motivated kids still did better.

Phase 6: Abandon the curriculum entirely.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 am

Well that's just a delight.

If a kid is interested in math and science, the best you can hope for from the US schools system is that they won't be actively discouraged (which is the treatment I got in high school). This is deeply embedded in US culture and I have no idea where it came from...maybe it is from a desire not to let any group of kids (however defined) outshine another, which is really only possible in technical subjects. With subjects like English or history, native talent doesn't really play much of a role.

If you want an explanation for why engineering schools and science graduate programs are almost entirely populated by foreign born students, you don't have far to look. Out of all the postdocs and grad students that I interact with directly, in my lab or those of collaborators, there are exactly two of American origin (one biomedical engineering, the other an MD/PhD in neuroscience). I'm also quite pleased that of my nieces who are in or applying for colleges, two are engineering majors and one is in architecture after her high school pushed her toward fine arts. Didn't take her long to figure out that would be a worthless degree.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am

And it’s clear that this was concocted by liberal arts people. The history of math and science is interesting. Still, in *math* class, I suspect math majors (graduates) would prefer to just teach math.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am

sophie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 am

If a kid is interested in math and science, the best you can hope for from the US schools system is that they won't be actively discouraged (which is the treatment I got in high school). This is deeply embedded in US culture and I have no idea where it came from...maybe it is from a desire not to let any group of kids (however defined) outshine another, which is really only possible in technical subjects. With subjects like English or history, native talent doesn't really play much of a role.

If you want an explanation for why engineering schools and science graduate programs are almost entirely populated by foreign born students, you don't have far to look. Out of all the postdocs and grad students that I interact with directly, in my lab or those of collaborators, there are exactly two of American origin (one biomedical engineering, the other an MD/PhD in neuroscience). I'm also quite pleased that of my nieces who are in or applying for colleges, two are engineering majors and one is in architecture after her high school pushed her toward fine arts. Didn't take her long to figure out that would be a worthless degree.
I live in MN, a pretty darn blue state... and my nephew was very encouraged in math/science, and as a freshman is taking an engineering and accounting course. Just my experience.. not trying to extrapolate to national/leftist policy.

Oh also schools have trap shooting teams now!! Which I find fantastic. We need wider, flatter enthusiasm for guns in this country. For a bunch of reasons that shouldn't exist, I think this would go a long way to dampen the "culture war."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:32 am

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am
sophie wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:00 am

I live in MN, a pretty darn blue state... and my nephew was very encouraged in math/science, and as a freshman is taking an engineering and accounting course. Just my experience.. not trying to extrapolate to national/leftist policy.

Oh also schools have trap shooting teams now!! Which I find fantastic. We need wider, flatter enthusiasm for guns in this country. For a bunch of reasons that shouldn't exist, I think this would go a long way to dampen the "culture war."
That is most likely true in the civil realm. For the spiritual realm, affirming that 1. everyone is accountable to a power higher than self, and, 2. there is an afterlife, would go a long way toward dampening the "culture war". Think of the lives that would be saved; murder of over half a million innocents per year in the United States might be avoided. Serious crimes of all types might decline if one believed that ones' actions have consequences, even if delayed until after physical death.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:54 am
The history of math and science is interesting. Still, in *math* class, I suspect math majors (graduates) would prefer to just teach math.
My first-year college calculus class had a "history of math" extension (one hour a week in the evenings) as part of the honors program. I found it very interesting to hear how a lot of math was "invented", and the root of the problems looking to be solved.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 am

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:21 am
That's a neat perspective I hadn't thought of. I wonder whether there are other, similar things that could make more a middle ground on other issues.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm

drumminj wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 am
dualstow wrote:
The history of math and science is interesting. Still, in *math* class, I suspect math majors (graduates) would prefer to just teach math.
My first-year college calculus class had a "history of math" extension (one hour a week in the evenings) as part of the honors program. I found it very interesting to hear how a lot of math was "invented", and the root of the problems looking to be solved.
That’s pretty cool, despite my obvious disdain for the K through 12 proposal above. I’ve read some of the history outside of school.
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:00 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm
drumminj wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 am
dualstow wrote:
That’s pretty cool, despite my obvious disdain for the K through 12 proposal above. I’ve read some of the history outside of school.
I was never good at either math or science in school and felt inferior to other students. It just seemed to challenge my brain too much.

Eventually I found one thing I was very good at and that was solving Algebraic equations. And in all humility I was VERY good at it.

This talent led to a very successful career as a software engineer, without ever having any formal degree at all. Go figure.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:57 pm

I love algebra. I’m not a software engineer but algebra was the one flavor of math that i was really good at.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:29 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:13 pm
I can't help but wonder if the zeitgeist is starting to turn on the SJWs.
dualstow wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:26 pm
Please let it be so.
Still, I think this brushfire has a ways to burn.
MAYBE
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.