Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Baseball?

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:55 pm

How many baseball fans here?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Baseball?

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Only playing it.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Attach!
Attachments
Baseball.png
Baseball.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 9512 times
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Did you play this year? If so, what level / league?

Vinny
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Only playing it.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
jacksonm2

Post by jacksonm2 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Big baseball fan when I was younger but not so much nowadays.

I could give you all the statistics of the L.A. Dodgers (Koufax and company) back then but the game has gotten far too boring since then.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 am

There is a “Designated Hitter” thread that was active until a year or so ago. A decent amount of baseball stuff posted there.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 pm

I've had a softball teammate who I have been playing with for over 15 years. She is now in her 50s and has been avidly playing softball since at least high school.

A while ago she told me she did not know if she would be able to play this season as she was out of work due to an undiagnosed shoulder problem. I then started sending her information about Aaron Judge and the problems he was going through which seemed roughly similar and how he was in a similar undiagnosed condition.

I sent these updates to her over a few weeks or so thinking that there was this famous athlete where no amounts of money were too much spend on diagnosing his problem, yet he was presently in the same status as she was -- undiagnosed. Then, she said to me: "Vinny, I have to tell you I don't even know who Aaron Judge is!"

That floored me!

My question to those reading this is to tell me if you also don't know who Aaron Judge is. I don't want anyone telling us who he is. Just want to hear from those who have no idea who he is.

I'm sure there might a lot of similar stature type Americans (maybe) that I have no idea who they are. But probably no athletes because even though I only follow baseball and basketball, I have sports talk radio on in my house ALL the time so I'm constantly hearing the big names associated with all sports.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:28 pm
I've had a softball teammate who I have been playing with for over 15 years. She is now in her 50s and has been avidly playing softball since at least high school.

A while ago she told me she did not know if she would be able to play this season as she was out of work due to an undiagnosed shoulder problem. I then started sending her information about Aaron Judge and the problems he was going through which seemed roughly similar and how he was in a similar undiagnosed condition.

I sent these updates to her over a few weeks or so thinking that there was this famous athlete where no amounts of money were too much spend on diagnosing his problem, yet he was presently in the same status as she was -- undiagnosed. Then, she said to me: "Vinny, I have to tell you I don't even know who Aaron Judge is!"

That floored me!

My question to those reading this is to tell me if you also don't know who Aaron Judge is. I don't want anyone telling us who he is. Just want to hear from those who have no idea who he is.

I'm sure there might a lot of similar stature type Americans (maybe) that I have no idea who they are. But probably no athletes because even though I only follow baseball and basketball, I have sports talk radio on in my house ALL the time so I'm constantly hearing the big names associated with all sports.

Vinny
What is baseball? ;D ;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:46 am

I'd much rather watch some babes fighting in the UFC women's division. ;D
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:06 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 am
I had never heard of Aaron Judge until I googled him just now. Not surprising as I grew up as a huge Cubs fan, and I can't even name 3 current Cubs off the top of my head let alone players for the Yankees.
How about Derek Jeter?

Vinny
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 am

vnatale wrote:
My daughter took me and my wife to a Yankees game in 2017 and Aaron Judge hit a dinger to left center that traveled about 475 feet. It was one of the longest home runs hit in the bigs that season. Neither of them knows who Aaron Judge is.

I grew up knowing all the players and most of their stats but don't find baseball interesting for more than about a half an inning now. For me sports have become less interesting because my understanding of randomness is now different.

That all being said, I'll definitely watch the NBA playoffs if they ever happen this year.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:11 am

barrett wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 am
vnatale wrote:
My daughter took me and my wife to a Yankees game in 2017 and Aaron Judge hit a dinger to left center that traveled about 475 feet. It was one of the longest home runs hit in the bigs that season. Neither of them knows who Aaron Judge is.

I grew up knowing all the players and most of their stats but don't find baseball interesting for more than about a half an inning now. For me sports have become less interesting because my understanding of randomness is now different.

That all being said, I'll definitely watch the NBA playoffs if they ever happen this year.
Did they ever know who Derek Jeter was? Michael Jordan? LeBron James? Tom Brady?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:24 am

barrett wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:08 am
vnatale wrote:

Can you further elaborate on that statement. Last year I had a long time period raging argument with a friend who contended there is no luck in professional sports. That all outcomes are a result of their skills.

Vinny
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 am

Sure. Have you read the stuff about the hot hand fallacy? Malcolm Gladwell and others have written about that. Essentially a guy is "hot" not because he is in the zone mentally or physically, but because he's getting results that are within a normal range of statistical probability considering his abilities. So people with better skills get better outcomes on average but the narratives that accompany those outcomes are not as compelling... or something like that.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:52 am

barrett wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:39 am
Sure. Have you read the stuff about the hot hand fallacy? Malcolm Gladwell and others have written about that. Essentially a guy is "hot" not because he is in the zone mentally or physically, but because he's getting results that are within a normal range of statistical probability considering his abilities. So people with better skills get better outcomes on average but the narratives that accompany those outcomes are not as compelling... or something like that.
Yes, no such thing as clutch or the hot hand. I believe that. He does not at all. I fully believe that all sports are results of the way the statistical probabilities happen to fall out during that particular game. Of course skills are paramount but the way the probabilities play out can be a determinative factor.

Vinny
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:19 pm

The way I heard it from a guy friend, you don't have to be a sports fan to think about baseball all the time. >:D
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 pm

Vinny,

Al Kaline is dead. I saw him play at Yankee Stadium in the late 1960s- early 1970s.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:21 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Vinny,

Al Kaline is dead. I saw him play at Yankee Stadium in the late 1960s- early 1970s.
Just saw that earlier. I never saw him play live.

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:27 pm

Fritz Peterson has written 3 books.

Some Tigers friend told Peterson that Kaline was retiring and the friend asked him to let a planned bunt go for a hit in the last game of the year. But then Kaline played 2 more years. Peterson was a bit perturbed.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm

Vinny,

If you buy 1 or 2 of Peterson's books on Amazon, he lists his email. I've exchanged a few emails with him. He's a friendly guy. He also explains a lot of Yankees shortcomings of the late 1960s and into the 1970s.

If you were so inclined, I bet you could arrange to meet him before the Old Timers' game. He'd get a kick out of that. He might sign the back of your Kindle. Bring a Sharpie.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:41 pm

bedraggled wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 pm
Vinny,

If you buy 1 or 2 of Peterson's books on Amazon, he lists his email. I've exchanged a few emails with him. He's a friendly guy. He also explains a lot of Yankees shortcomings of the late 1960s and into the 1970s.

If you were so inclined, I bet you could arrange to meet him before the Old Timers' game. He'd get a kick out of that. He might sign the back of your Kindle. Bring a Sharpie.
I'm seeing those two books of his on Amazon. I don't like this title: "When the Yankees Were on the Fritz: Revisiting the Horace Clarke Years." I was young Yankees fan during that time period and followed them quite closely (one year keeping score of half their games). I'm the ever optimist fan and I can find some good in any team no matter what their record.

I know I've been to at least two Old Timer's games. I think 1988 and 1998. Have no memory of him being there.

I see them on YES every year and the most exciting part is the introductions. The games are somewhat of a joke. I wish that they'd take them seriously.

The is one I'd prefer to see. A 75 year old hitting a home run!

https://www.mlb.com/news/luke-appling-h ... -years-old

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:32 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (70.87 KiB) Viewed 6159 times
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm

Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:15 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:42 pm
Rumor has it that MLB is considering having the entire MLB season here in AZ this year, using our 10 spring training stadiums to play the games for all teams without crowds. Good luck to them, as most of those stadiums are not cooled like Chase Field, haha.
On a New York Yankees email list I'm on one poster estimated that there would have to be at least 1,200 people involved for the teams to play. Just one of those 1,200 gets the virus and then.....

Vinny
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:22 pm

Oscar Gamble is a treasure in Yankee lore. He batted .379 in a season inthe late 1970s and hit with power. What fabulous memories. He was traded but came back for an encore several years later.

Vinny,

Did you meet the Big O? Was that your photo?