Trump Is Quietly Deregulating All the Things

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump Is Quietly Deregulating All the Things

Post by WiseOne » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Why should the media report on this? It's so much more entertaining to write snide comments about Trump's latest faux pas. After all, who cares about the financial health of the US economic system for the next few decades when you can instead get red-faced screaming angry about some entirely outrageous and irrelevant statement of Trump's.

"Irrelevant" meaning that the direct effect of his twitter statements on you is nil, unless someone decides to amend the constitution to make it so that everything that comes out of the President's mouth has the force of law. When Obama was first elected I remember hoping that his very existence and direct message to black youths to stay in school and quit wearing pants around their ankles would have some effect on that population. It had none. Same issue.

Of course, it would be nice to know which regulations are being dumped. Deregulation can be a good thing - but it also brought us the savings and loan crisis of the 1980s, and the mortgage/credit default swap fiasco in 2008. I can only hope that those bureaucratic task forces are able to predict correctly which is which.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:09 am

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm
Why should the media report on this? It's so much more entertaining to write snide comments about Trump's latest faux pas. After all, who cares about the financial health of the US economic system for the next few decades when you can instead get red-faced screaming angry about some entirely outrageous and irrelevant statement of Trump's.

"Irrelevant" meaning that the direct effect of his twitter statements on you is nil, unless someone decides to amend the constitution to make it so that everything that comes out of the President's mouth has the force of law. When Obama was first elected I remember hoping that his very existence and direct message to black youths to stay in school and quit wearing pants around their ankles would have some effect on that population. It had none. Same issue.

Of course, it would be nice to know which regulations are being dumped. Deregulation can be a good thing - but it also brought us the savings and loan crisis of the 1980s, and the mortgage/credit default swap fiasco in 2008. I can only hope that those bureaucratic task forces are able to predict correctly which is which.
There are plenty of media outlets out there that cover this stuff. I just saw the Reason article this morning that Krieg linked to.

I barely follow “mainstream media” (meaning huge network and big cable media) to stay informed. I highly recommend finding good alternative sources.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Who are the "good alternative sources" that you follow?

I have C-Span on a ton so I get a fairly balanced and, oftentimes, at the source point of view. The latter is raw with no editing or opinions.

Right now I have on C-Span 2 - which is Book TV on the weekends.

Vinny
moda0306 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:30 am
WiseOne wrote:

There are plenty of media outlets out there that cover this stuff. I just saw the Reason article this morning that Krieg linked to.

I barely follow “mainstream media” (meaning huge network and big cable media) to stay informed. I highly recommend finding good alternative sources.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:17 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 pm

I have C-Span on a ton so I get a fairly balanced and, oftentimes, at the source point of view. The latter is raw with no editing or opinions.

Vinny
moda0306 wrote:
WiseOne wrote:

I find Reason & Cato to be pretty good. Democracy Now is lefty but very good foreign policy reporting. The Economist has some good stuff. The Intercept isn't as good as it was with Glenn Greenwald writing a lot of the early columns but it's still ok.

There are others i'm probably forgetting...

I always liked cspan but watch very little news tv anymore.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:20 pm

I also via iTunes listen (twice) during the week (while I am working) to each of the five Sunday news shows. That's it for me for any TV news.

Vinny
moda0306 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:17 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Vinny
moda0306 wrote:

I find Reason & Cato to be pretty good. Democracy Now is lefty but very good foreign policy reporting. The Economist has some good stuff. The Intercept isn't as good as it was with Glenn Greenwald writing a lot of the early columns but it's still ok.

There are others i'm probably forgetting...

I always liked cspan but watch very little news tv anymore.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:01 am

At the end of March, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) rolled back Obama-era fuel economy standards projected to add nearly $3,000 to the cost of a new car. It was the latest instance of President Trump’s record of cutting excessive regulations, which he describes as “stealth taxation, especially on the poor.” Trump’s deregulatory actions over the past three years will increase the purchasing power of working-class income by up to 15 percent, at least after the Covid-19 pandemic passes and the economy begins functioning again. The current economic depression from the pandemic underscores the importance of removing obstacles to economic advancement for those most in need of it.

One of the best-kept secrets in the economics of regulation is how regulation’s costs fall disproportionately on the poor. “Well-intentioned regulation often indulges the preferences of the wealthy,” observes Creighton University professor Diana Thomas. By “driving up the prices of regulated goods and lowering the wages of lower income households and workers, such regulation is likely to have disproportionately negative or regressive effects on the poor.”link
A cursory search found some support for the $3,000 claim: Heritage, from The Daily Signal
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.