Gold / Stock / Bonds at highs or near highs?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Gold / Stock / Bonds at highs or near highs?

Post by Tortoise » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am
Nasty day today for gold and long term treasuries....this is what scares me about the way they seem to be joined at the hip...the supposed yin and yang can be quite powerful and nasty when things that are supposedly uncorrelated stay bedfellows
Does anyone here know if an analysis has been done of the price correlation between gold and LTTs over at least the past few decades?

I'd be interested to see if the correlation has always been high or if it's increased in recent years.

Lately, based on my own observations of daily closing prices, gold and LTTs move in the same direction probably at least 90% of the time.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am
Nasty day today for gold and long term treasuries....this is what scares me about the way they seem to be joined at the hip...the supposed yin and yang can be quite powerful and nasty when things that are supposedly uncorrelated stay bedfellows
Does anyone here know if an analysis has been done of the price correlation between gold and LTTs over at least the past few decades?

I'd be interested to see if the correlation has always been high or if it's increased in recent years.

Lately, based on my own observations of daily closing prices, gold and LTTs move in the same direction probably at least 90% of the time.
This is from 2017

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Tyler wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:49 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 am

for most of the pp history , except for some speed pumps along the way , the trend was for rates to fall .
The 1970's were one helluva speed bump. ;)

FWIW, the PP did just fine then as well. Surviving terrible situations for individual components is one of the great benefis of the built-in firewalls. They protect the portfolio when rates rise in the same way they do when stocks crash or gold tanks.

since 1980 the trend has been down . that is 40 years of pp history ,.

Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:32 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Tortoise, portfoliovisualizer provides correlations. I got this graph for TLT and GLD for the last 15 years. Looks like the correlation these days is about as high as ever.

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:06 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 am

plus not only are gold and rates joined at the hip but we have equities at a high at the same time ... that makes for some wild moves in the pp which can be right on par with high equity portfolio volatility wise . yesterday we saw a .70% move in the pp with gold losing almost 2% and bonds losing 1.50%, that .70 % move is almost like a 200 point move in the dow for comparison gain or loss wise on 100% equity .

so we are really in uncharted waters with the pp .. so i can see why those deciding to enter the pp now are looking at this and questioning whether they are guaranteeing themselves losses from here for years to come unless the remote odds of negative interest rates happen .

40 years of pp history since the 1980's having a trending down in rates for the most part may have little in common with the future
once rates bottom and reverse with so much correlation between powerful asset classes .

we are also now uncharted in the instantaneous news world as well as uncharted social media influence on investments.

time will tell but it can be a wild ride if this keeps up .

i think if i was looking to invest a sizable sum today ,which i will be if our closing goes through today on some investment property , i would divide it in 3 . i would only put 1/3 in something like the pp at this stage , 1/3 in my fidelity insight income model which is a more conventional 25% equity model with far shorter duration's and no gold and the last 1/3 in to the insight 60/40 growth and income model which also has far shorter durations on the bond side .
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:24 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 am
plus not only are gold and rates joined at the hip but we have equities at a high at the same time ... that makes for some wild moves in the pp which can be right on par with high equity portfolio volatility wise . yesterday we saw a .70% move in the pp with gold losing almost 2% and bonds losing 1.50%, that .70 % move is almost like a 200 point move in the dow for comparison gain or loss wise on 100% equity .

so we are really in uncharted waters with the pp .. so i can see why those deciding to enter the pp now are looking at this and questioning whether they are guaranteeing themselves losses from here for years to come unless the remote odds of negative interest rates happen .

40 years of pp history since the 1980's having a trending down in rates for the most part may have little in common with the future
once rates bottom and reverse with so much correlation between powerful asset classes .

we are also now uncharted in the instantaneous news world as well as uncharted social media influence on investments.

In uncharted waters, that's when I'd prefer to use something like the PP. I mean, even if people with money to invest stop buying bonds, they're going to put it somewhere. And if there's less money sloshing around overall, everyone is going to lose anyway; and someone is going to lose the hardest, but I don't think it will be the PP. I think the PP's assets are positioned pretty well to do fine in most situations.
i think if i was looking to invest a sizable sum today ,which i will be if our closing goes through today on some investment property , i would divide it in 3 . i would only put 1/3 in something like the pp at this stage , 1/3 in my fidelity insight income model which is a more conventional 25% equity model with far shorter duration's and no gold and the last 1/3 in to the insight 60/40 growth and income model which also has far shorter durations on the bond side .
Do as I say, not as I do, in one paragraph ;D

I'd love to hear more about your investment property.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am

about 12 years ago we bought a package of 9- co-op apartments over looking central park in a very prestigious building along with the commercial lease rights . we actually bought a business , which is what it amounted to .
. only hitch is they had original rent stabilized tenants in them at break even rents ..they chose not to buy when the building converted to co-op so they remained covered under rent stabilization laws .

all were baby boomers at this stage and we figured many would not be able to live on central park south with no pay checks if they retire .

so we bought this package for cents on the dollar ... we offered 100k to any tenant who wanted to sell us back their lease .

7 out of 9 took advantage over the years and the apartments were sold for 1 to 2.2 million ...so the remaining 2 were at break even rents and had no light for us at the end of the tunnel since they had adult kids living there with succession rights

we finally got an investor group who was interested in buying them . the 2 apartments are worth 2.2 million in total . we are selling both for 350k .... so today is supposed to be the closing ...it was rescheduled from 2 weeks ago .

we also got in the package a 10% stake in the commercial lease rights in the building . we were partners with real estate mogul bernie spitzer in the lease rights ... bernie sold them in 2014 for 18 million dollars .... so the package was an incredible value ... as a real estate investor i was never interested in just collecting rents hoping for appreciation .
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:50 am
about 12 years ago we bought a package of 9- co-op apartments over looking central park in a very prestigious building along with the commercial lease rights . we actually bought a business , which is what it amounted to .
. only hitch is they had original rent stabilized tenants in them at break even rents ..they chose not to buy when the building converted to co-op so they remained covered under rent stabilization laws .

all were baby boomers at this stage and we figured many would not be able to live on central park south with no pay checks if they retire .

so we bought this package for cents on the dollar ... we offered 100k to any tenant who wanted to sell us back their lease .

7 out of 9 took advantage over the years and the apartments were sold for 1 to 2.2 million ...so the remaining 2 were at break even rents and had no light for us at the end of the tunnel since they had adult kids living there with succession rights

we finally got an investor group who was interested in buying them . the 2 apartments are worth 2.2 million in total . we are selling both for 350k .... so today is supposed to be the closing ...it was rescheduled from 2 weeks ago .

we also got in the package a 10% stake in the commercial lease rights in the building . we were partners with real estate mogul bernie spitzer in the lease rights ... bernie sold them in 2014 for 18 million dollars .... so the package was an incredible value ... as a real estate investor i was never interested in just collecting rents hoping for appreciation .
Cool story, looks like I had it backwards.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:35 am

yep we are selling , not buying ... we were selling everything off since we don't want to be landlords in retirement . we want only liquid , passive investments that can be sold or swapped with the click of a button .

the new rental laws in new york make being a landlord here not desirable as well . in fact if we did not get a buyer the plan was to just walk away and let the remaining apartments default back to the building , our governor really put the screws to landlords with his new laws and changed the rules in mid stream .
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:12 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:24 am
mathjak107 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:42 am

In uncharted waters, that's when I'd prefer to use something like the PP. I mean, even if people with money to invest stop buying bonds, they're going to put it somewhere. And if there's less money sloshing around overall, everyone is going to lose anyway; and someone is going to lose the hardest, but I don't think it will be the PP. I think the PP's assets are positioned pretty well to do fine in most situations.
Do as I say, not as I do, in one paragraph ;D

I'd love to hear more about your investment property.

people don't stop buying assets when they head in to a bear market , they just change the prices they are willing to pay to own those assets .. demand for bonds or stocks or even gold will likely always be there but what investors will pay for those bonds , stocks or gold is another story.

you can't have a sale unless every share has a matching buyer .

interest rate cycles can span very long time frames .. so far in my lifetime as an investor which is 30 plus years i have only known down as far as rates except for those speed bumps ...
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:53 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:35 am
yep we are selling , not buying ... we were selling everything off since we don't want to be landlords in retirement . we want only liquid , passive investments that can be sold or swapped with the click of a button .

the new rental laws in new york make being a landlord here not desirable as well . in fact if we did not get a buyer the plan was to just walk away and let the remaining apartments default back to the building , our governor really put the screws to landlords with his new laws and changed the rules in mid stream .
mathjak:

See in today's Wall Street Journal, p. A11, the article entitled "How to Kill a Housing Market."
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:53 pm

Kind of like the company that had a very low profit margin , so they planned on making it up on volume.. then they need to process many more orders and employ more people with higher expenses ,more work and less margin
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:12 am

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:35 am

the closing thankfully did take place on thursday. for the first time since 1987 i am actually tenant free ..... it is like they say about boats , the happiest days are the day you bought it and the day you sold it .....

being retired , there is nothing better to us than strictly passive investments and finally we reached the point we can do that...now the only question is what we will do with the money ... it will be a while since we are closing up the llc before making the final distribution
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:32 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:24 pm

I am looking at where each of the three investments currently are and it seems that two - stock and bonds - are at the all time highs while gold is near an all-time high. This certainly goes counter to buy high / sell low.
If you search the term "all time high" on this forum, you'll get 17 pages of results. Here is a great one from 2011 that I think answers your questions.
Gumby wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:07 am
If you look back at the past 40 years of returns of the Permanent Portfolio, you will notice that there was rarely a time when the Permanent Portfolio wasn't at its all time high. Understandably, that makes people very nervous.

To put it another way... in order to buy the PP, you must buy at least one or more asset at its all time high. Such as it is, all of us who have purchased the PP have risked purchasing at the peak. This is one of the hardest parts about jumping in, and its why so few people are able to bring themselves to do it.

But the part that nobody sees is that the potential upside of each asset is more powerful than its potential downside in a 4x25% portfolio.

The best advice I can give you is to listen to this five minute clip from Harry Browne:

https://web.archive.org/web/20160324133 ... DoBest.mp3
I recommend listening to the clip if you want to hear it straight from he horse's mouth.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:09 am

it is not the issue of it being at a high . in this case the pp has very little history with rising rates as a trend the last 40 years ... that is my concern .

we had from the 1980's what amounted to speed bumps not trends in rising rates . it is rising rates that can be the pp's kryptonite . those who are using the pp for low volatility may be in for a much wilder ride when 3 asset classes move at once in the up or down direction . up is good but down may give the portfolio users much more of a ride then they bargained for ...TLT and GLD can be very volatile when they make 1-2% moves together and you have cash doing nothing and equities potentially down too if rates climb .

while the portfolio may still do okay i think users will have to get used to a lot more volatility as the new normal unless they adjust a bit in to intermediate term treasuries . so i think we are pretty much in uncharted waters today unlike the past and i would never go by what any asset did in the past even under similar conditions if we had them .

i will go on record here saying that my opinion is i think holding to much in long term treasuries is betting on the long shot of having negative rates here or betting on low rates to continue .. the portfolio which really is supposed to be neutral in design has ended up being a bet on low and lower rates and no longer neutral in the way assets are becoming strange bedfellows .
stpeter

Post by stpeter » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 pm

vnatale wrote:
In sum I was all set to go full into the Permanent Portfolio and was describing it to someone who then pointed out to me that all three of these were near their all time highs.

For those of you who have FULLY embraced the Permanent Portfolio and made your investment all at once can you reveal where each of the three volatile investments stood at the time of your investment? In other words, how close was each to its market high or low at the time of your investment.
Although other folks in this thread have told you "jump in, the water is fine" I'd like to provide a counterpoint. To me one of the supreme values of the PP is peace of mind. I recently completed the process of dollar cost averaging my way into the permanent portfolio over the course of 3 years. Sure, I might have missed some return, but I was completely comfortable with taking it slow and now I'm a PP investor for life. So I'd say "whatever helps you commit to the PP" is the best strategy for you to pursue.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:29 pm

There's a lot to be said for being chill as fuck.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 am

stpeter wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:14 pm
vnatale wrote:
In sum I was all set to go full into the Permanent Portfolio and was describing it to someone who then pointed out to me that all three of these were near their all time highs.

For those of you who have FULLY embraced the Permanent Portfolio and made your investment all at once can you reveal where each of the three volatile investments stood at the time of your investment? In other words, how close was each to its market high or low at the time of your investment.
Although other folks in this thread have told you "jump in, the water is fine" I'd like to provide a counterpoint. To me one of the supreme values of the PP is peace of mind. I recently completed the process of dollar cost averaging my way into the permanent portfolio over the course of 3 years. Sure, I might have missed some return, but I was completely comfortable with taking it slow and now I'm a PP investor for life. So I'd say "whatever helps you commit to the PP" is the best strategy for you to pursue.
Wouldn’t that logic say that you should sell everything now and start from zero again if slowly building up works so well ?
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 am

Moving into the PP gradually from cash gives up some returns on average, but if it's easier for you to handle then that's completely justified.

Another strategy: wait until the PP as a whole goes through a negative performing couple of months and then buy in.

Whatever you do though, don't buy in one asset at a time. That can be far riskier than buying them all equally.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:26 am

sophie wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 am
Another strategy: wait until the PP as a whole goes through a negative performing couple of months and then buy in.
This is a great idea.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 pm

ha ha ha , for a portfolio that is supposed to eliminate timing and the guess work , that is just what is required then to buy in if you do that ...

where is buying low ? we all thought low in 2008 was when the market fell 2000 points ..who know we had 4000 more to go ....

the problem is introducing timing can lead to the problems the portfolio is supposed to alleviate .

i mean yes that is how i would buy in , but then again i am a dirty lil market timer at heart
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:39 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:14 pm
ha ha ha , for a portfolio that is supposed to eliminate timing and the guess work , that is just what is required then to buy in if you do that ...

where is buying low ? we all thought low in 2008 was when the market fell 2000 points ..who know we had 4000 more to go ....

the problem is introducing timing can lead to the problems the portfolio is supposed to alleviate .

i mean yes that is how i would buy in , but then again i am a dirty lil market timer at heart

The issue is not the portfolio, the issue is human behavior. By transitioning into it slowly, the change is less stressful. Not everyone needs to do that kind of thing. "ha ha ha" means you're making fun of other people's psychic needs; not very mature for an older person. Hey, didn't you almost get run off from here before? {reaches for rope}
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 am

yes , the issue is the behavior that is recommended to be used is ironic ... the irony is that it is an all weather portfolio designed never to have a bad time so to speak .. but human nature being what it is tends to do what feels good many times and not what is the best logically or financially .

so the brains start taking a portfolio that is supposed to eliminate timing and turns it exactly in to that by trying to time the time frame to enter by waiting for that day it dips low enough that may never come .
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:02 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:36 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:26 am
sophie wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:18 am
This is a great idea.
I disagree. I think this is a terrible idea. What if the next time the PP has sustained negative returns is 10 years from now? You think waiting 10 years for that event is better than just jumping in or DCA?
It has not gone negative this year, for example. At least for me.