Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8649
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:47 am

I was going to put this in my sig only, but it’s just too juicy.

Have you been reading Imam Tawhidi’s recent tweets? I’ve been following him for a long time. Seems like a very level-headed guy. If a stranger dropped this bombshell I’d think maybe this is just another conspiracy theory.

Interesting reading in any case.

Google imam tawhidi omar qatar or go right to the source:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Imamofpeace/ ... 1646649345
Telegram or Signal? Decisions, decisions.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by sophie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 am

Interesting...but I'm not clear exactly what the connection is?

This just says Omar is talking to some people in Qatar, who are planning to create some fake news articles to discredit this particular Imam. The talking part is not a crime as far as I know. Fake news that no one is likely to believe or care about anyway, created outside the US...well, good luck with that.

I talk to people in the UK, France, Germany, and Czechoslavakia regularly. Hopefully that's not considered a criminal offense either.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8649
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:26 pm

sophie wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 am
Interesting...but I'm not clear exactly what the connection is?

This just says Omar is talking to some people in Qatar, who are planning to create some fake news articles to discredit this particular Imam. ...
From what I read, the full accusation is that she’s receiving money from Qatar.
Of course, that could be pure BS. If true, however...
Telegram or Signal? Decisions, decisions.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8649
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Telegram or Signal? Decisions, decisions.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by sophie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:17 am

If all that's true...she could be the one being impeached.

Wondering why all this is so far limited to the Twitterverse though? Also there's a doesn't-pass-the-sniff-test element here: regardless of her position, Ilhan Omar is a woman and it seems unlikely that a traditional Qatar male would deal with her directly.
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by Maddy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 am

That's been the elephant in the livingroom since the beginning. . . How is it that an apologist for a culture that claims the right to dismember a woman's genitalia against her will ends up in this position to begin with? Is a person whose culture absolutely precludes her from making decisions independent of patriarchal authority disqualified from acting as a US Congressional representative by virtue of the fact that she is de facto incompetent, controlled by who-knows-what unelected, unaccountable persons or entities?
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3171
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by sophie » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:15 am

That would be very interesting indeed, if evidence came to light that an unelected man (husband, brother, father, etc) is calling the shots, and she's dutifully following through with them as per normal for her culture. Odd that the topic has never come up.

I had similar reservations about Joe Lieberman when he was running for president a while back. As an Orthodox Jew, his first allegiance is to Israel, not the US. He responded to that, but as I recall never actually came out and said that he was breaking with tradition and giving top priority to the US. More broadly, is it OK for someone running for President to have dual citizenship? Technically that's permissible but I would not be in favor.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8649
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:52 am

I agree about the Twitterverse limitation. It won’t mean much until I see it in the Wall St Jrnl or something of that size.
I also agree that it would be dodgy to have an orthodox Jew in the White House- not that one could ever get elected. As a side note, I dare say, it would be very bad for secular American Jews. O0
Telegram or Signal? Decisions, decisions.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Maddy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 am
How is it that an apologist for a culture that claims the right to dismember a woman's genitalia against her will ends up in this position to begin with?
Mutilating penii is part of the American culture, but lots of males are politicians.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8649
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:34 pm

Are you speaking literally or metaphorically, because male circumcision is not *so* bad. O0 Compared to what they’re doing to women over there, it’s a nail trim.
Telegram or Signal? Decisions, decisions.
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by Maddy » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm
Maddy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 am
How is it that an apologist for a culture that claims the right to dismember a woman's genitalia against her will ends up in this position to begin with?
Mutilating penii is part of the American culture, but lots of males are politicians.
I'm not sure what argument this point advances, but surely you don't equate the removal of a foreskin with the various extreme forms of FGM. Review the anatomy. The closest anatomical approximation in a male would be the complete amputation of the penis coupled with the construction of a crude opening for the excretion of urine.

The circumcision debate is fine, and no doubt there are men who feel violated by having had this procedure performed on them during infancy, but the reality of that procedure puts it on par with the removal of a skin tag--a far cry from the radical procedures performed in muslim cultures for the purpose of disabling women for life.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8177
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Omar accused of treasonous plot with Qatar

Post by moda0306 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:12 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:59 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 pm
Maddy wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:03 am
How is it that an apologist for a culture that claims the right to dismember a woman's genitalia against her will ends up in this position to begin with?
Mutilating penii is part of the American culture, but lots of males are politicians.
I'm not sure what argument this point advances, but surely you don't equate the removal of a foreskin with the various extreme forms of FGM. Review the anatomy. The closest anatomical approximation in a male would be the complete amputation of the penis coupled with the construction of a crude opening for the excretion of urine.

The circumcision debate is fine, and no doubt there are men who feel violated by having had this procedure performed on them during infancy, but the reality of that procedure puts it on par with the removal of a skin tag--a far cry from the radical procedures performed in muslim cultures for the purpose of disabling women for life.
Do you have an example of Omar being an apologist for FGM? The only time I’ve seen anything from her on the issue she roundly condemned it and supported a bill to outlaw the practice.
Post Reply