Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:47 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm
And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
I don't think a quality attribute of a President is how readily he fires people who no longer fit his mercurial whims. Certainly the Constitution doesn't say anything about that.
Actually the Constitution does say something about that, namely:

"The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. " (Article II, section 1)

Of course there is more about how he is elected, who is eligible, appointments with the advice and consent of the Senate, and so on.

But none of that changes the fact that the powers of the executive branch are vested in him.
Legally, he is the executive branch, just as in England, legally the King is England.
Anyone who serves in the executive branch gets power only by delegation from the President.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:41 am

Yup, and remember that Trump just fires people. Obama was more likely to have people offed with a drone strike -- judge, jury, and executioner.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:18 am

Ah, the old "King Can Do No Wrong" chestnut.

Have all drone strikes ended with Trump?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am

stuper1 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:41 am
Yup, and remember that Trump just fires people. Obama was more likely to have people offed with a drone strike -- judge, jury, and executioner.
Trump expanded drone strikes and the Afghan war and vetoed ending the Yemen war.

You’re really a great example of how a fucking moron could get elected President.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:43 am

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 pm
That's your read of the situation.

My read is that the guy has made billions of dollars during his lifetime. Have you ever seen someone do something like that without being able to work with other people? We know oh so little about what really goes on in politics. Basically everything we get comes third- or fourth-hand and through a media filter.
He must've made billions (but we don't know because his finances have never been released) so he must work well with others. Wow, that is a stretch. Making billions is not a measure of much.

"Prosecutors estimated the size of the (Madoff) fraud to be $64.8 billion, based on the amounts in the accounts of Madoff's 4,800 clients as of November 30, 2008."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:56 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_of ... erformance
A 2016 analysis of Trump's business career in The Economist concluded that his performance since 1985 had been "mediocre compared with the stock market and property in New York."[42] A subsequent analysis in The Washington Post similarly noted that Trump's estimated net worth of $100 million in 1978 would have increased to $6 billion by 2016 if he had invested it in a typical retirement fund, and concluded that "Trump is a mix of braggadocio, business failures, and real success."[43]
O0 He should have just bought Vanguard's 2015 Target Retirement Fund!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:06 am

I feel very confident in saying that he's not an idiot.

If I were a voting person, which I'm not, the main criterion I would vote on is just this: is this person likely to make the government bigger or smaller? The more areas that government infiltrates, the worse off we are. I know we'll never be back to a small government, but at least hopefully the scope creep can slow down.

Based on that criterion, I would vote for Trump over Biden, Sanders, Warren, or Harris.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am

moda0306 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am
stuper1 wrote:
Trump expanded drone strikes and the Afghan war and vetoed ending the Yemen war.

You’re really a great example of how a fucking moron could get elected President.
Do you have Hard Data, and not just someones Opinion/Guess on drone strike/ death toll?

Drone strike Casualty Reports have been cancelled.

Also when Trump vetoed ending the Yemen war, why did not CONgress succeed in overturning the Veto?
https://www.justsecurity.org/63855/gett ... n-succeed/

Another question, is how many American Troops are stationed or have Died in Yemen during Yemen's Civil War?

Now the Afghan war has been going on for 18 YEARS... Do you just turn out the lights and go home?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:03 am

shekels wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am
moda0306 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:31 am
stuper1 wrote:

Do you have Hard Data, and not just someones Opinion/Guess on drone strike/ death toll?

Drone strike Casualty Reports have been cancelled.

Also when Trump vetoed ending the Yemen war, why did not CONgress succeed in overturning the Veto?
https://www.justsecurity.org/63855/gett ... n-succeed/

Another question, is how many American Troops are stationed or have Died in Yemen during Yemen's Civil War?
moda has posted this link in an earlier thread:
moda0306 wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:15 am
Trump also expanded the war in Afghanistan...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207
"During Mr Obama's eight years in office, 1,878 drone strikes were carried out, according to researchers. Since Mr Trump was elected in 2016, there have been 2,243 drone strikes." It doesn't say where she got those numbers from. Several stories about drone strikes reference a Daily Beast article, which states that it uses numbers provided by CENTCOM and the Bureau Of Investigative Journalism. It looks like you can comb through the press releases on www.centcom.mil and add up how many drone strikes they acknowledge, but I don't feel like doing it.

On the Bureau Of Investigative Journalism's drone strike site, setting the parameters to # of strikes since Jan 2017 gives these results:

6 Pakistan
166 Yemen (these were relatively high at the beginning of Trump's term, but haven't been above 15 a month since April 2017)
98 Somolia
4582 Afghanistan
4852 Total

Their numbers look suspect though. For instance, here is one example of a strike:
An airstrike in Badakhshan killed 16 Taliban fighters, Khaama Press reported - though it was not clear whether US or Afghan forces were responsible.

The Ministry of Defence reportedly said that security forces conducted the strike in the Wardoj district.

While the report says that the security forces conducted the strike, we cannot definitely rule out US involvement as the security forces often call in US air support.

Khaama Press did explicitly give a date for this strike so we have recorded it as the date that it was reported on.

Type of strike: Possible US strike
Reference: Khaama Press
They're very transparent, which I am grateful for because it helps me determine that this isn't something I can trust (or, not without going over each incident in detail).
shekels wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:25 am
Now the Afghan war has been going on for 18 YEARS... Do you just turn out the lights and go home?
That's kind of what we've been doing. When I was in Afghanistan, we briefly conducted operations out of a semi-abandonded outpost. It still had all the generators and huts and stuff like that, but nobody was using it. We were just paying some dudes to watch it. It was nerve-wracking as fuck in there because we had no idea if the guards had let insurgents emplace booby traps or infiltration points or map it out for indirect fire or what have you. When we were done I can't remember if we turned it over to the ANA or if we airlifted all the recoverable shit back to the big FOB. Also, I believe every base/outpost I was on except Bagram has been closed down or turned over to the ANA, which is as close to turning out the lights and leaving as you'd think.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 pm

ANA - Afghan Nat'l Army, I guess.
FOB - ?
D1984
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by D1984 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:27 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:58 pm
ANA - Afghan Nat'l Army, I guess.
FOB - ?
FOB = Forward Operating Base
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Aha, thanks
—-

Headline in WSJ today:

“Slow Growth Hasn’t Hurt Trump in Key Midwest Counties
While local job growth lags behind the nation’s, president’s approval rating has risen since 2017”

Hmm
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Aha, thanks
Sorry about that. Also, COPS are combat outposts, "terps" are interpreters, RAID is a camera on a pole, and the donkeys are frightened.
Headline in WSJ today:

While local job growth lags behind the nation’s, president’s approval rating has risen since 2017”

Hmm
*shrug*
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLM9p8m7BBM

Strong ad work by the Republicans. Have they ever made an ad this good, or relevant?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm

Strong ad work by the Republicans. Have they ever made an ad this good, or relevant?
There was one like this, although I could have sworn it had lions. At least, it was longer.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_s71-Q2XBZg
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:30 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:19 pm

At the Time this was a powerful ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRPZQ3UEN_Q
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:09 pm

jhogue wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:39 am
jhogue wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:06 pm
jhogue wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:15 am
Everything will be exactly the same, except different.

In 2020, Dems will nominate Elizabeth Warren who will rail against plutocrats in banks, Wall Street, and offshore tax havens; but for taxes on Roth IRAs over $1 million, tighter capital controls, and Obamacare Plus Free Everything. Ironically, the Russians -- who will be found to have had nothing to do with the outcome of the 2016 election -- will be inspired to seriously hack the 2020 election, thereby assuring the return of the chaotic Donald to office for another 4 years. Only in America, baby!
You heard it here first! Happy New Year!!
I predict that we will look back on the Robert Mueller hearings yesterday as a critical milestone in Trump's re-election:

1. Russian Hack 2020 is already well under way.

2. Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer can count to 51 and they now know for certain that impeaching Trump is an exercise in futility, even for the most partisan in their caucus. Worried that Ruth Bader Ginsburg will not last another 5 years on the Supreme Court, influential groups like NARAL will demand that the Dems drop impeachment and focus on electoral victory in November 2020.
This just in:
Elizabeth Warren (a.k.a. Pocahontas) leads Des Moines Register’s Iowa Poll for the first time, besting Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story ... 370015001/
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:05 pm

So far, damn accurate, Mr Hogue. O0
I'm glad the resurfacing of Warren's scandalous paleface photos haven't harmed her in the polls.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks. I read 'Generation Kill' once upon a time and I've got a glossary somewhere that I compiled while reading. Probably time to pick up another book on Iraq and/or AfPak if anyone has any recommendations.

Btw, should we continue with a separate "Part 2" thread? Each page is always crushing under the weight of the giant, ancient poll above. Kind of ungainly.
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:55 pm
dualstow wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Aha, thanks
Sorry about that. Also, COPS are combat outposts, "terps" are interpreters, RAID is a camera on a pole, and the donkeys are frightened.
Headline in WSJ today:

Hmm
*shrug*
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:45 pm

You picked a good one in Generation Kill.

The last few books I read related to Iraq/Afghanistan were:

The Accidental Guerrilla by Kilcullen
Wired For War by Singer
Brave New War by John Robb
My Jihad by Collins
Dirty Wars by Scahill
On The Hunt in Baghdad by Totten
Ghost Wars by Coll
America’s Secret War by Friedman
Soldiers of God: With The Mujahidin In Afghanistan by Kaplan
My Share of the Task by Gen. Stanley McChrystal
Where Men Win Glory by Krakauer
How to Break a Terrorist by Matthew Alexander
Ambush Alley: The Most Extraordinary Battle of the Iraq War by Pritchard
Horse Soldiers by Stanton (the movie 12 Strong was based on this book)

There's probably a couple in there that might interest you. I'll PM you another one.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Excellent, thank you!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Sometimes he's funny, unintentionally I assume:

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

If he spends the next 12 months taking troops out of all the places we shouldn't be in anymore, he just may have my vote.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 pm
Sometimes he's funny, unintentionally I assume:

As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I’ve done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over...

If he spends the next 12 months taking troops out of all the places we shouldn't be in anymore, he just may have my vote.
unintentionally funny....or mentally unhinged? Does anyone really think his demeanor and personality reflect well on our country? He is a troll who goads, insults and demeans anyone who dare questions his "great and unmatched wisdom". In another time and place you are looking at Caligula.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:04 pm

doodle wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:24 am
Does anyone really think his demeanor and personality reflect well on our country?
Quoted from a discussion of Elizabeth Warren on another forum (unz.com):

"Trump’s personality is hard for a lot of people to stomach, but it’s recognized that it’s not an act – we see Trump unvarnished. People don’t like those who pretend to be something other than what they are, particularly in such a blatant example of a blond haired blue eyed woman claiming Cherokee ancestry and that her presence on Harvard’s faculty represents some kind of triumph for the continent’s native peoples."

So, yes, compared to what else is on offer, I personally think that Trump's demeanor reflects well on our country. He's comfortable in his own skin (as creepy and scaly as that might be). He doesn't offer up a boat load of mealy-mouthed platitudes like just about every other politician. I think that reflects just fine on our country. Sure, if we had a Boy/Girl Scout with good policies as an alternative, then please vote for him/her. But all these big government liberals offered up by the Democrats aren't going to be any better for the country than Trump is. If the Libertarians could offer somebody with a reasonable immigration policy, then vote for that person.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 pm

So, yes, compared to what else is on offer, I personally think that Trump's demeanor reflects well on our country. He's comfortable in his own skin (as creepy and scaly as that might be).
I'm not following this argument... An authentic asshole, who doesn't try to filter his public behavior or reactions like an adult but instead flys off the handle with sweaty red faced tantrums at every offense, who hurls playground insults and publically bullies any and all opponents, is someone who reflects well on our country? A president who publically questions who is a bigger enemy of the United States, a communist adversary or the President of the Fed? A man who takes the word of Russia over his own intelligence community? The tone and demeanor of Donald Trump is a stain on the executive branch. I am no fan of race baiting identity politics in the Democratic party or even many of their policies but Trump is an awful leader and a corrupt narrcistic megalomaniac. He has all the qualities of a banana republic dictator. I cannot understand how this is not painfully obvious.