Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:53 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 am
And it troubles you that wisdom is not found in a forum dominated by opinions that can be expressed in 15 words or less?
"If something offends you, do not do it to others."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am

The upvoting and downvoting on reddit generally don’t make sense. Like twitter, it simply does not reflect real life.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:16 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:57 am
The upvoting and downvoting on reddit generally don’t make sense. Like twitter, it simply does not reflect real life.
I agree, I could never get into the way reddit operates. Upvoting/downvoting? It's like reddit took a great technology (internet bulletin boards) and paired it with the worst aspects of social media (likes, notifications, iPopularity).
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:58 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:20 am
And it troubles you that wisdom is not found in a forum dominated by opinions that can be expressed in 15 words or less?

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/

I have seen Wisdom in the comments.
In places that you may not expect. Of course not everyone would agree. Hence the Quarantine
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am

Did they move somewhere, btw?
A more important question: Is there some conservative platform out there that is kind of mellow?
RIP Marcello Gandini
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:31 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:21 am
Did they move somewhere, btw?
A more important question: Is there some conservative platform out there that is kind of mellow?
No it is still there, just that it is restricted due to significant issues with reporting and addressing violations of the Reddit Content Policy.
One thing that has been brought up is no Spammers due to the quarantine.

It is open to debate on how Mellow it is, but on the whole for the different regions of people, it is pretty Tame.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:34 am

Ah, thank you. The last time I looked, I couldn't view it at all. Didn't know it was temporary.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm sure we'd all love negative rates right? The bonehead is the one who is tweeting and will lose more and more retirees if interest income becomes an expense!

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm
I'm sure we'd all love negative rates right? The bonehead is the one who is tweeting and will lose more and more retirees if interest income becomes an expense!

Please excuse the language but sometimes you need to call a shovel a shovel. Donald Trump is a fucking idiot. And a dangerous one at that.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:02 pm

I get why governments want negative interest rates, but I don't like them. Disagree with Trumpus Magnus here.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm

He is talking about arbitrarily hammering down interest rates by FED decree to zero or negative. AND he wants to refinance our debt like it's some kind of chapter 11 corporate bankruptcy. Stating what I assume everybody on this forum knows, US sovereign debt is not negotiable. It's a cast iron contract. If any of the things he is discussing were attempted it would spark a global financial crisis that would make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

The man is a functionally illiterate knave.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:52 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm
He is talking about arbitrarily hammering down interest rates by FED decree to zero or negative. AND he wants to refinance our debt like it's some kind of chapter 11 corporate bankruptcy.
I think by "start to refinance our debt. . . while at the same time substantially lengthening the term" he's saying that we'd start issuing negative interest rate Treasuries at longer maturities than 30 years. Not that once the Fed lowers interest rates below 0% we would call in every (non-callable) Treasury and tell people to buy them and pay us for the privilege.

What a sickening thought. I wouldn't be paying anyone to lend them money, that's for sure.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:02 pm
Trumpus Magnus
😂
RIP Marcello Gandini
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:20 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:09 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Please excuse the language but sometimes you need to call a shovel a shovel. Donald Trump is a fucking idiot. And a dangerous one at that.
Then he’s the luckiest man in the world.
Exactly. I don't get people who call him an idiot. For Pete's sake, he managed to get himself elected despite being opposed by every media outlet imaginable. His net worth is debatable, but certainly hundreds of times higher than my own. If you don't like his policies, fine, just state what you think he should do. But to call him an idiot is laughable to me, unless you're just using that as a general pejorative and not actually questioning his intelligence.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:21 pm
He is talking about arbitrarily hammering down interest rates by FED decree to zero or negative. AND he wants to refinance our debt like it's some kind of chapter 11 corporate bankruptcy. Stating what I assume everybody on this forum knows, US sovereign debt is not negotiable. It's a cast iron contract. If any of the things he is discussing were attempted it would spark a global financial crisis that would make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

The man is a functionally illiterate knave.
What about when the US defaulted on its debt in the 1930's? Was that a cast iron contract too?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:04 pm

What I don’t understand is why even after 3 years, some people continue to take everything he says at face value. So much of Trump’s communication is simply posturing to eventually arrive at something more realistic or reasonable.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm

It's all posturing and tough talk until he wimps out / gives away the store to the adversary without getting anything in return for us.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
It's all posturing and tough talk until he wimps out / gives away the store to the adversary without getting anything in return for us.
Got an example?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 pm

I'd love to see an example also.

On a different note, I think a lot of people dislike Trump because he's attacked various people say on Twitter. I recall somebody doing some checking on that and finding that Trump hadn't attacked anyone until he had been attached by them first, but when he does hit back, he hits back hard. Of course, you never hear it reported about the initial attack against Trump. I'm not from the east coast, but it seems to me that this is just your stereotypical New Yorker attitude. If somebody attacks you, then attack them back even harder. I say good for him, and I'm probably one of the least pugilistic type of people around. At least he's not a mealy mouthed wimp. If the American people don't like it, they can vote him out of office next year. I have my suspicions that more people like it than what some people realize.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:09 pm
Are you talking about N Korea?
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm

N Korea
Bolton is out, Iran sanctions may go away
Getting kissy-face right now with Xi so stocks don't crash
Maduro still there
Mexico still isn't paying
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:47 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:17 pm
N Korea
Bolton is out, Iran sanctions may go away
Getting kissy-face right now with Xi so stocks don't crash
Maduro still there
Mexico still isn't paying
Is N Korea not still talking with S Korea?
I don't know about Iran or Xi.
Maduro isn't our problem.
Mexico is helping reduce the severity of the invasion.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm

And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:33 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:59 pm
And who cares if Bolton is gone? He always seemed like a war-mongering psychopath to me, but that's not based on any substantive conversations that I've had with him. If the president decides that an advisor is no longer the right fit, he should get rid of him. Isn't that what the American people wanted when they voted for him?
I don't think a quality attribute of a President is how readily he fires people who no longer fit his mercurial whims. Certainly the Constitution doesn't say anything about that.

The problem with Trump is that no one of quality is going to want to serve under him. You'd have to be a complete idiot / masochist to want to have him as a boss.

So it'll just be Trump alone in a room with a little red button.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:42 pm

That's your read of the situation.

My read is that the guy has made billions of dollars during his lifetime. Have you ever seen someone do something like that without being able to work with other people? We know oh so little about what really goes on in politics. Basically everything we get comes third- or fourth-hand and through a media filter.