The Top 4 Portfolios to Recession-Proof Your Investments

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 pm

I figure you guys might enjoy this new article:

I started by simply wondering which portfolios performed best during recessions, and came out of it with a new appreciation for just how resilient certain strategies are in all kinds of economic situations that you would never expect. The fact that I'm posting it here should give you a clue to one portfolio on the list, but the other three also come up on the forum quite a bit.
ppnewbie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Top 4 Portfolios to Recession-Proof Your Investments

Post by ppnewbie » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 am

Great article and analysis!
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:53 am

Hoo boy, looks good. I'm going to make a nice cup of coffee and sit down for this one.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:31 am

Nice!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:16 am

Very timely. This forum's server will be overloaded... at the next market bottom.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:55 am

Great article, Tyler. I always peek at the charts first and at first i thought, Boy am I in the wrong portfolio, and how come he put all the charts upside down. After reading carefully, I am now feeling very satisfied.
RIP Marcello Gandini
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by PP67 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:49 am

Cue the Twiglight Zone theme song! Yesterday I heard friend of mine who is a high net worth individual financial advisor (you should see his "yacht!") who was keeping 20% of his assets in cash and advocating that if you can get 3% unrisked you should jump on it. That got me thinking more than usual about all the recession storm clouds that appear to be swirling about. I was composing a thread in my head called "Should the Golden Butterfly migrate south for the winter?" that poses the question whether given the "forecast" of inclement weather should I trim back a GB position to a more safe HBPP harbor. Lo and behold, Tyler posts an incredibly timely and very informative post that exactly addresses my concern!

Well done again, Tyler! I didn't know about the your coffee machine on your website before but it is way cool! However when I tried to buy you a venti coffee for some reason the vending machine kept grinding and wouldn't take my money. I will try again later but I would hope everyone who benefits from your charts and writings would chip in a cup or two or five and keep you well caffeinated.

Thanks again!
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am

Tyler wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:51 pm
I figure you guys might enjoy this new article:

I started by simply wondering which portfolios performed best during recessions, and came out of it with a new appreciation for just how resilient certain strategies are in all kinds of economic situations that you would never expect. The fact that I'm posting it here should give you a clue to one portfolio on the list, but the other three also come up on the forum quite a bit.
Wonderful article, Tyler.

As an aside, have you considered adding return data for silver to Portfolio Charts? 8)
The All-Terrain Portfolio: 25% CBIL | 25% XGGB | 25% VVL | 12.5% CCOM | 10% KILO.B | 2.5% BTCX.B
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:35 pm

PP67 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:49 am
Well done again, Tyler! I didn't know about the your coffee machine on your website before but it is way cool! However when I tried to buy you a venti coffee for some reason the vending machine kept grinding and wouldn't take my money. I will try again later but I would hope everyone who benefits from your charts and writings would chip in a cup or two or five and keep you well caffeinated.
I appreciate your persistence. :) Please PM me if you continue having problems. It's a good service and I haven't heard of any other issues like that.

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:27 am
As an aside, have you considered adding return data for silver to Portfolio Charts? 8)
I did look at silver a few years ago. I think what turned me off is how the wild spike around 1980 really jacks with the historical numbers, but now that my tools have matured a bit maybe I can revisit the idea.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 pm

My stats show that the Desert Portfolio performed in-line with the PP during those times and that is the Portfolio I have been holding for the last few years.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:54 pm
My stats show that the Desert Portfolio performed in-line with the PP during those times and that is the Portfolio I have been holding for the last few years.
Nice! The Desert Portfolio is very similar in structure to the All-Seasons portfolio, so it does not surprise me at all that it also provided excellent downside protection.
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:59 am

Nice investigation and write up Tyler.

Were you riffing of this slighty odd article at Monevator ? https://monevator.com/how-to-protect-yo ... n-a-crisis
I almost felt like they were dodging the conclusions that you've pushed up front in your article.
Hopefully they'll pick up your write up this week.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:22 am

gizmo_rat wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:59 am
Were you riffing of this slighty odd article at Monevator ? https://monevator.com/how-to-protect-yo ... n-a-crisis
Not directly, although I do like Monevator quite a bit and read it regularly. I just noticed lots of recession stories all over the place the last few weeks and figured a study on recession-proof portfolios was timely.