BYND

A place to talk about speculative investing ideas for the optional Variable Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: BYND

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:01 pm
sophie wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:26 am
I know quite a few people in my medical field who have tried keto for weight loss, and it really does work but you have to put a lot of effort into calculating daily carbohydrates. I'm thinking of trying it for a few months myself to knock off a few unwanted pounds, but I would definitely not want to eat that way consistently. For me anyway the diet doesn't include enough fiber so a supplement is needed, and that's not optimal from my POV.
I've been trying to drop 5 lbs from my middle for months. South Beach Diet, etc work for week, but too hard to stick to and the weight loss is temporary. The solution I found is playing pickleball for 2-3 hours, 4-5 days a week. I have always exercised daily, but not for that many hours. I'm sure long distance jogging would do the same. Semi-retirement is awesome!
Very cool. I'm a pickleball guy also. Been playing for 5 years or so. Fantastic game/sport for people of all ages and athletic abilities. Takes about 10 minutes to learn, but I've come to realize that I will never master it, so there's always more to learn.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:14 pm

One guy, who I play pickleball with, played #2 on a state university tennis team, then played some low-level pro tennis, and then many years of 5.5 level tennis. He pretty much plays only pickleball now. He's always telling me how much nicer pickleball people are than many tennis people.

I started playing pickleball tournaments a couple years ago, which is a lot of fun if you like competition. I have a three-day tournament later this week. It's going to be a pickleball-palooza, probably play tournament matches all day and then friendly games late into the night. I'm so blessed to have a loving wife who lets me go off on these outings once in a while with nary a complaint.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:11 am

I'm out. Sold my shares a few minutes ago.

I am very curious about how the earnings report will go tonight but now, as with pickleball, I am just a spectator.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Sorry forgot to post this earlier

3 hours remaining, on the Left Coast: Free Beyond Burgers at Carls Jr, Thursday 8/15: https://www.reddit.com/r/Albuquerque/co ... mous_star/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 am

What, they couldn't sell 'em all? ;D
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:51 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 pm
Finally found Beyond Burgers at the grocery today, and grilled a couple up for the GF and myself. They were delicious, albeit pricey at $12/lb.
An item I'd never prior been aware of. And, in reading prior posts up until now I was getting interested. But definitely NOT at that price!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:55 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 am
So if meat production is ruining the planet, and farming is ruining the planet, what is the solution (besides the obvious population control, which isn't happening any time soon in third world areas) ?
There is a negative correlation between increasing income and family size. With the rate of increasing incomes through out the world, total population will eventually plateau and will not continue to increase at historical rates (which I believe is already on a continual decline in the rate of increases).

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:43 am
Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:11 pm
Well, for what it’s worth, I was practically raised on soy-based meat substitutes (for religious reasons), yet a blood test a few years ago indicated my testosterone level was actually above average.

Sample size of one. 8)
As an aside, testosterone levels and test results can fluctuate quite a bit. You'd probably need a series of tests over a period of time to establish a range. But obviously not worthwhile unless there are issues.
When I brought up the testosterone issue with my doctor he replied that there are no established agreed upon standards for good or bad testosterone levels. Agree? Disagree?

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:58 am
pmward wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 am
[there is nothing wrong with eating bread or pasta. They are perfectly healthy foods.
I think that is the one point I'd dispute. If your body can handle it in moderation, sure. If you are a type 2 diabetic and cut carbs out, as far as everything I have read and researched, your blood sugar will be fine. It's only when you add carbs that it becomes an issue. Does that make them 100% bad, no. But moderating them has benefits.

In any event, it should be abundantly clear that something is wrong with either the type or quantity of food when you look at typical Americans and their body size over the past 30 years.
Your last paragraph IS the truth!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:04 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:58 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:31 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38 pm
pmward wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 am
The law of thermodynamics cannot be manipulated, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is energy in vs energy out (i.e. calories and exercise).
Similarly, the your body decides whether to burn or store calories depending on what its target weight is. Some foods (carbs) make your body want to store more. Other foods make it want to store less. For weight purposes anyway, we should be finding out ways to tell our bodies not to want to store as much, and the best way to do that seems to be limiting intake of carbohydrates.
Do you have a scholarly source for this claim? If you look in the actual research you will find this all to be false. Foods do not store more or less aside from their caloric value. If anything, fats store more than carbs because fats can be stored as is. The chemistry involved in turning a carb into a lipid to be stored burns quite a bit of the calories. It's a super inefficient process. Fats are not better than carbs. Even with what I wrote above, carbs are not better than fats. It's all relative to the diet as a whole, the individuals metabolism, the total calories consumed, and the total calories burned.
Have you read http://garytaubes.com/works/books/good- ... -calories/

and his follow-on book Why We Get Fat? I did a long time ago, cannot quote anything directly, sorry.

There is quite a lot of science that (I'm simplifying here) would show if you put two people in a room for a month and fed one 5000 calories a day from carbs, and one 5000 a day from fats and protein that at the end of the month there will be a significant difference in health and weight between the two.

I understand this is a religious argument for a lot of people, and I have my own views that many may not agree with. You can search on any of low fat/high fat/lo carb/high carb diets and will find adherents to all styles.

--Saturated fat is fine
--Cholesterol is not to be worried about
--I will never take a statin
--I limit carbs where I can
--The standard American diet is built on BS
Regarding your last sentence....could I entice you into agreeing with my statement that a large portion of the American diet is based upon our huge food industry getting our beloved representatives to pass laws (and, doing things like creating a USDA food pyramid) which is in their financial interests and NOT our health interests?

Vinny