What have we learned over last 10 years?

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What have we learned over last 10 years?

Post by sophie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 am

You've been using the PP for 17 years?? Wow, there is a story there if you want to tell it? 17 years ago there were not a lot of people on that bandwagon.

That's the kind of long view I hope to have about 12 years from now. It's a refreshing perspective, compared to loading up on angst over the performance of this or that single asset for the past year, or even few years.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm

I'm a PP youngin'. I really only discovered it and got into it around 2016/2017. A large part of me finds that unfortunate, as I completely missed the original epic thread on the Bogleheads forum, in addition to being able to interact with MediumTex and craigr. I'm currently watching one of Craig's YouTube videos on computer security. Super compelling stuff.

Anywho, in regard to the PP, I can still look at past data and old forums posts.

My take on the past 10 years of the PP is that the PP is to asset allocation, as indexing is to individual stocks.

We don't know which companies are going to do better than others. Unexpected things happen all the time. We index the stock market as a concession of our inability to predict the future. The PP is exactly the same concept applied to asset allocation. We like to think we can predict the future of asset classes, but we can't. Being confident about the future is not the same thing as knowing the future. And even if you end up being right about the future, it seldom happens on the timeline that you wanted/expected.

When friends and family ask me for investing advice, I always tell them to start with the PP and go from there.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:28 pm
I'm a PP youngin'. I really only discovered it and got into it around 2016/2017. A large part of me finds that unfortunate, as I completely missed the original epic thread on the Bogleheads forum, in addition to being able to interact with MediumTex and craigr.
That is kind of sad that they don’t post anymore. MediumTex was fun!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
I'm a PP youngin'. I really only discovered it and got into it around 2016/2017. A large part of me finds that unfortunate, as I completely missed the original epic thread on the Bogleheads forum, in addition to being able to interact with MediumTex and craigr.
Definitely. Some of those old forum posts of his were very insightful, even with the passage of time.

I wonder if both Craig and Tex are still PP users...
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:49 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm
dualstow wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Definitely. Some of those old forum posts of his were very insightful, even with the passage of time.

If you look at Craig's post history, his last post was only a couple years ago and he said he had just rebalanced and was still in.
Thomas Hoog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Thomas Hoog » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:49 am

sophie wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:49 am
You've been using the PP for 17 years?? Wow, there is a story there if you want to tell it? 17 years ago there were not a lot of people on that bandwagon.

That's the kind of long view I hope to have about 12 years from now. It's a refreshing perspective, compared to loading up on angst over the performance of this or that single asset for the past year, or even few years.
Well, a boring story just as the PP strategy. After the crash in 2001, I was looking for a more stable strategy and I came in contact with the Belgium Marc de Mesel (he was on this forum also) and he told me about Harry Browne which made much sense to me. So I switched to a PP protfolio. Marc went on with Bitcoins (He is good) , don't know what he doing right now. I stayed with the PP.
During the years, I changed from 4x25 to 10 % cash, 20 % gold, 30 % LTB, 40 % equities because of the low yield and I have a high risk-appetite.
The most intriguing observations:
How low the yield on bonds can get; I think for almost 17 years, Yield on Bonds must go up but they still get lower and lower and lower.
My X-mass predictions of the next investing year are always wrong.
The impossibility to convince friends and family, no matter the results, they don't get convinced about the PP strategy.
I think that choosing an investing strategy is not a rational decision. It is based on your personality. There was a Briggs-Meijer test here on the forum and there was significant majority of the INTP-type. So if you are a INTP type you might like the PP strategy, if you are not, you prefer an other strategy. We are all just humans.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:57 pm

I heard he bailed out a long time ago after banking his book profits in the Bahamas.

Yeah, I still use the portfolio. Sadly, a few months back I had to sell down some bonds to buy some real estate and now they've gone through the roof! But otherwise, still stocks, gold, cash and less bonds that I want right now.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:19 pm

craigr wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:17 pm
Hope everyone is doing well.
Doing well. Thank you for making a lot of lives much better.
Mark
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:20 pm

Wow! A post from Craig. This is better than the time Satoshi Nakamoto emailed me!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:22 pm

This is an embarrassment of riches. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 pm

The truth is I've been extremely busy on my start-up and have no time to look at investment stuff much. I check my portfolio maybe quarterly for tax planning reasons. I don't read any investment news, but watching the headlines pop up over and over about stock market highs gives me that 2000 feeling all over again.

Keep your powder dry!
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:26 pm

What's the startup?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Wow, it's nice to see that some of the old folks are still lurking from time to time. Adam, I've set your avatar to something resembling the old one. Not sure when those got dumped.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks!

I still lurk regularly. Just don't have much to add, so not a big poster these days.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm

craigr wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 pm
The truth is I've been extremely busy on my start-up and have no time to look at investment stuff much. I check my portfolio maybe quarterly for tax planning reasons. I don't read any investment news, but watching the headlines pop up over and over about stock market highs gives me that 2000 feeling all over again.

Keep your powder dry!
I've seen some of your intrusion detection presentations on YouTube!

As a budding developer myself and a PP investor, I feel like I'm treading on a path that you've been before. ^-^
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm
craigr wrote:

Keep your powder dry!

As a budding developer myself and a PP investor, I feel like I'm treading on a path that you've been before. ^-^
It's an interesting industry and is basically recession proof. The worse the economy gets, the more criminals come out online to make a buck.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:00 am

craigr wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:56 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 pm
craigr wrote:

Keep your powder dry!

It's an interesting industry and is basically recession proof. The worse the economy gets, the more criminals come out online to make a buck.
Cue CNBC: Legendary Permanent Portfolio pioneer, Craig Rowland, predicts cybercrime triggered depression. Trump blames Mexican hackers.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:31 am

Many excellent posts in this Topic including a re-appearance by Craig (which seems to have been his last appearance here).

Anyone who gave predictions want to revise / change those predictions?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."