The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 16, 2019 9:58 pm

sophie wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:17 am
I've wondered what effect the transgender craze will have on Olympic women's competition. If a (former) man could get classified as a women, he'd have a huge advantage in most sports, everything from skiing to running to figure skating. I'd be surprised if no one's figured that out yet. I can't wait to see what happens the first time a transgender wins a gold medal in a women's competition.
They take it away (not in the Olympics, but in powerlifting):
News of the transgender lifter who broke female records began circulating, and just a couple of days later, Gregory was stripped of her titles and barred from competing as a woman.

“She put down female. Clearly, she’s not a female,” said Paul Bossi, 100% Raw Powerlifting Federation’s president. “Not biologically anyways.

“In our rules, we go by biological,” he said. “According to the rules, she can only lift in the men’s division. … I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but I have to follow the rules.”

He said Gregory never volunteered that she was transgender and event organizers didn’t confirm she’d competed in the wrong category until a post-match drug test was administered.

“We could’ve rectified a lot of this prior had we known,” Bossi said. “In a way, we felt like we were duped.”
. . .
Gregory’s shoulders dropped slightly this week, when she talked about the criticism she’s faced. It’s mostly rooted in ignorance, she said, people who assume because she was born a man
and then spent the next 43 years as a male...
that she’s naturally stronger and holds an unfair advantage over female competitors.
LOL.

link
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue May 21, 2019 12:41 pm

What about the Morehouse students who worked their tails off in order to start their post-college lives with little or no debt? Do they get anything? (Are there any?) Or what about the ones who didn't go to Morehouse because they didn't want to take on debt?

It's a very generous gift, and any complaining about it falls into "Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard" territory. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=ESV

So as a gift, it's very generous, end of story. As some kind of social policy, or "what we should be doing", it's very, very dangerous.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 12:34 pm
Oprah called out for not paying off students' loan debt
Oprah Winfrey responded Monday to an Instagram user who called out the billionaire mogul for not paying off student loans after her commencement speech at Colorado College, in an apparent comparison to investor Robert Smith's now-famous gesture
Disgusting, but absolutely expected. ::)
RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am

This one is even more true to the title of this thread:

https://nypost.com/2019/05/22/ocasio-co ... lonialism/

Hilarious, this one. AOC of course is welcome to try to grow yucca, a desert plant, in a steamy, wet tropical NYC community garden. Someone needs to show her the Burpee zone map.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:05 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Oprah Winfrey responded Monday to an Instagram user who called out the billionaire mogul for not paying off student loans after her commencement speech at Colorado College, in an apparent comparison to investor Robert Smith's now-famous gesture
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am

jacksonM wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:26 am
dualstow wrote:
MangoMan wrote:
I'm thinking wealthy people might start thinking twice before agreeing to be a college commencement speaker.
Because of an "Instagram user?"

Come on guys you're really reaching now.

In other recent news, democrats ridiculed on Twitter for breathing. ::)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed May 29, 2019 2:03 pm

I guess she was looking for some free yucca. ;)

https://babylonbee.com/news/ocasio-cort ... r-anything
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am

DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am

moda0306 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:44 am
jacksonM wrote:

Not really. Bitter contempt for the rich is widespread on the Left. It doesn’t even matter if you made your money honestly. You’re a robber baron and deserve the business end of a pitchfork.
It’s not one instagram user.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:31 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:51 am
Apologizing for Manwich. . .

http://pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com ... nwich.html
This one, I agree with. They need to call it a Man-Warlock. >:D
RIP Marcello Gandini
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am
moda0306 wrote:
jacksonM wrote:

Not really. Bitter contempt for the rich is widespread on the Left. It doesn’t even matter if you made your money honestly. You’re a robber baron and deserve the business end of a pitchfork.
Then let's post evidence that it's widespread rather than one Twitter user. Christ can't you see what a pathetic example that is? Especially more-so than at anytime in the past, such as when "the left" took over whole cities via general strikes in the 1870's, if anything there's a stark lack of class consciousness among the left... in favor of race/gender/sexual identity. And things like advocating for universal healthcare and high marginal income taxes have been around since the early 20th century. They are hardly "contempt." Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.

You don't think there are vast swaths of the right that are similarly vindictive towards foreigners, minorities, "libruls!," etc? Of course there are. But if I wanted to show there was a mass trend of disgusting reactionary views I'd have to post more than a Twitter post of some Faux-News-jaded Baby Boomer.

What % of the left would you say have "bitter contempt" for "the rich?" I'd probably put it at 10% of the country (maybe 25% of what you could consider "the left" at best). Others simply have progressive ideas with "contempt" for only certain types of rich people (intellectually dishonest ones that try to drive public policy to their benefit). What kind of disgusting views would you find on the most reactionary, "contemptuous" 25% of "the right." Well I've seen it all over central MN and other pockets and it's pretty pathetic at best and disgusting at worst. So if you want to compare those, I'll bite, but Twitter is trash evidence, and "the left" is hardly a unique source of moronic contempt in this country.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am

(Moda) Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.
But that’s who I am primarily referring to, moronic Z lennials. There are a lot of them, and social media is their platform. What am I going to interview them on the bus? Perhaps you and I see the same thing, but we are just reacting differently.
You don't think there are vast swaths of the right that are similarly vindictive towards foreigners, minorities, "libruls!," etc?
I do. I am very much a moderate & a centrist.
What % of the left would you say have "bitter contempt" for "the rich?" I'd probably put it at 10% of the country (maybe 25% of what you could consider "the left" at best).
Hard to say. An optimist would point out that the most extreme voices are the loudest, and the non-complaining voices are often, by definition, silent. Like the vocal anti-American protestors at the US embassy in S Korea. There are pro-American rallies, but they don’t really make the news.
RIP Marcello Gandini
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:27 am

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am
dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:29 am
moda0306 wrote:

Then let's post evidence that it's widespread rather than one Twitter user. Christ can't you see what a pathetic example that is? Especially more-so than at anytime in the past, such as when "the left" took over whole cities via general strikes in the 1870's, if anything there's a stark lack of class consciousness among the left... in favor of race/gender/sexual identity. And things like advocating for universal healthcare and high marginal income taxes have been around since the early 20th century. They are hardly "contempt." Come on guys I know Trump is president but let's lift our collective knuckles off the ground and start using actual evidence rather than Twitter posts by moronic Z-lennials.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there

I can't help but think when I read this quote that the IRS was always there to take their "FAIR SHARE". If you become wealthy or not.
Then that begs the question who gets to win life's lottery?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:02 am

moda0306 wrote:
jacksonM wrote:
dualstow wrote:

In other recent news, democrats ridiculed on Twitter for breathing. ::)
Instagram? Is that the same thing as Twitter?

I just thought if I was someone like Bill Gates or Warren Buffet I'd maybe think twice about accepting an invitation to be a commencement speaker if it came with the expectation that I was going to pay off all the student debt.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm

He’s not under 60.
Happy belated birthday, btw, Jackson. 🎂
RIP Marcello Gandini
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm
He’s not under 60.
Happy belated birthday, btw, Jackson. 🎂
Yes, I turned 70 two days ago (and get my first SS check next month).

And for the record I'm a kick-ass 70 year old. Celebrated by doing a 200 mile bike ride with my son (actually it was originally supposed to be a 400 mile ride but still not too bad).
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

And for the record I'm a kick-ass 70 year old. Celebrated by doing a 200 mile bike ride with my son (actually it was originally supposed to be a 400 mile ride but still not too bad).
Badass! What’s your secret? Discipline, or just good genes?
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 pm
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Badass! What’s your secret? Discipline, or just good genes?
Mostly good genes probably. My Mom died in January of this year @98 and my Dad died @93. Grandparents pretty much the same story.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 pm

RIP Marcello Gandini
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm

Who started this thread? It seems like good material for it comes up almost every day. Check this out:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1TK2DI
Biden said that U.S. leaders have lost the ability to work together. He pointed to two segregationists from the South who were serving in the Senate when Biden was elected - Democratic Senators James Eastland of Mississippi and Herman Talmadge of Georgia.

Eastland described black people as inferior and fought against efforts to desegregate the South. When Biden joined the U.S. Senate in 1973, he and Eastland, members of the same political party, served on the same committee.

“At least there was some civility. We got things done. We didn’t agree on much of anything. We got things done. We got it finished,” Biden said, according to a pool report distributed by his campaign. “But today, you look at the other side and you’re the enemy. Not the opposition, the enemy. We don’t talk to each other anymore.”
This is why I'm no longer liberal: I actually think he's making a good point here, to the effect that there needs to be more bipartisan working relationships. Sounded to me like he mentioned these two precisely because they were people who held views he did not agree with.

But apparently I'm wrong:
New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, who is also seeking the Democratic nomination, criticized Biden’s remarks.

“It’s past time for apologies or evolution from @JoeBiden,” de Blasio wrote on Twitter. “He repeatedly demonstrates that he is out of step with the values of the modern Democratic Party.”

De Blasio called out Biden for invoking Eastland, posting a photo of himself on Twitter with his wife, who is black, and his two multi-racial children.

“It’s 2019 & @JoeBiden is longing for the good old days of ‘civility’ typified by James Eastland. Eastland thought my multiracial family should be illegal & that whites were entitled to ‘the pursuit of dead n*ggers,’” de Blasio wrote on Twitter.
But oops, didn't deBlasio just invoke Eastland too? Sounds like that scene from Monty Python's Life of Brian, where the crowd was ready to stone anyone who said the word "Jehovah" regardless of the context. Anyway, I'd score that as a point in Biden's favor, that he's "out of step" with values like this.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:12 pm

sophie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:23 pm
Who started this thread?

A gentleman by the name of Gabe started the original. Read the first page and enjoy O0
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8211&p=143033
😂 at Reub’s comment! 😂

It seems like good material for it comes up almost every day.
yep!
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:18 pm

If you read one article on immigration, let it be this one:

The Democratic Candidates Are in a Bubble on Immigration
By Andrew Sullivan
somehow the courts have decided that you qualify for asylum if there is simply widespread crime or violence where you live, and Ramirez was also going to use that argument as well. A government need not persecute you; you just have to experience an unsafe environment that your government is failing to suppress. This so expands the idea of asylum, in my view, as to render it meaningless.
Literally billions of human beings now have the right to asylum in America. As climate change worsens, more will rush to claim it. All they have to do is show up
Last month alone, 144,000 people were detained at the border making an asylum claim. This year, about a million Central Americans will have relocated to the U.S. on those grounds.
Link: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/ ... ation.html

Oh, and
When I’m told only white racists favor restrictionism, I note how the Mexican people are more opposed to illegal immigration than Americans: In a new poll, 61.5 percent of Mexicans oppose the entry of undocumented migrants, period; 44 percent believe that Mexico should remove any undocumented alien immediately. Are Mexicans now white supremacists too?
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:25 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:06 pm
That article and the one directly below it were so good, I signed up for the newsletter. Thanks for the link Dualstow.
Pleasure. Ironically, an extremely left-leaning friend sent it to me.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 am

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/11 ... 9827356672

Video of brave and righteous ANTIFA mob in Portland take turns throwing cement milkshakes and assaulting a journalist.

They estimate over 95% of Independents and Republicans will switch their vote away from Trump next year after seeing these heroes courageously stand up to this racist/supremacist/etc.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:51 am

You'll notice that they do this only in cities whose officials are seditious pussies. If these mental defectives were to try that outside of these self-designated safe spaces, I suspect the outcome would have been very different.