Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

KeyBank Bans Gold Bullion from “Safe” Deposit Boxes

Post by shekels » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 am

https://www.silverdoctors.com/headlines ... sit-boxes/

Here is the article in case it is not widely known.
Also Chase bank has already banned storage.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: KeyBank Bans Gold Bullion from “Safe” Deposit Boxes

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm

Why do goldbugs like silver? Isnt gold the perfect currency
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:37 am

shekels wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:48 am
https://www.silverdoctors.com/headlines ... sit-boxes/

Here is the article in case it is not widely known.
Also Chase bank has already banned storage.
If I read Keybank's notice correctly, there appears to be a loophole in their gold ban:

It does not forbid the storage of semi-numismatic coins, like pre-1933 circulated $20 American Eagles, which pretty much track the price of gold with a small premium.

On the other hand, why bother with an institution that obviously doesn't want our business?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:53 pm

I never understood safe deposit box limitations. I assume I can store millions of dollars in jewelry in one, right? So if the bank gets robbed and my box cleaned out, really, I can make a claim on something like that? How?

I assume there is a lot of not technically legal or allowed stuff stored in boxes. Why single out gold. I would not expect them to insure it anyway. I wouldn't expect them to insure the family DVDs I have in there either. If there's a flood, and the DVDs are ruined, do I have a recourse?

Just so happens Silver Doctors sells really expensive home safes on its site. Hmmm.

Here is the relevant portion of the Chase box agreement. Basically saying we'll do our best. What more can you expect?

jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:56 pm

What caught my attention in the Chase notification was the $25,000 cap on value, which seems simply ridiculous from both the perspective of the bank and its clients. For instance, why should Chase know or care if I have more than that amount in I-bonds?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:00 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:30 pm
Why do goldbugs like silver? Isnt gold the perfect currency
Not all goldbugs like silver.

It's fine for a small amount like a bag or two of dimes, to be used as daily spending money in the event of hyperinflation. That's about it as far as I'm concerned.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:14 am

Wow, the comments on the Silver Doctor site show they are fringe-ier than we are, and that's saying something.

Still, this is disturbing news. I do keep my coins at a bank, and I hope that this ban will not become a trend.

Mark (member link) had some good advice that he posted here several times: wine storage companies. As he pointed out, they don't know what you're storing any more than the bank does. I doubt it's cheap, but it's a potential solution.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:19 pm

If the bank doesn't know what's in my safe deposit box, then how can they enforce such a ban? Aren't they really just saying that they won't accept more than $25k in liability? How would they ever know that I have gold in there? What would they do if they found out? Confiscate my gold?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Look at this excerpt from Key's own site:
The other types of items that are smart to keep in your box are valuable items you don't often access. Things like jewelry you wear just once or twice a year, (small) art pieces that you've purchased as an investment, precious metals, and some antiques can all be stored in a safe deposit box.
and
Final Thoughts
Most people think of safe deposit boxes as a place to keep valuables, but this is only partially true. Most valuables are just as safe in your home under an insurance policy. The exception, like we mentioned above, are smaller investment items like gold or rare stamps.
Ok then. I guess they should edit that page.

https://www.key.com/personal/financial- ... -boxes.jsp
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

The gold ban doesn’t make much sense to me, either. As long as it’s clearly stated that the bank will insure only up to $X per box, why do they care whether a box contains gold or not?

Something isn’t quite adding up. Unless they’re specifically banning gold bullion since they know it’s the most common violation of the $25k insurance limit. Kind of like how drunk driving is illegal, not just personal and property damage caused by drunk driving?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm
Kind of like how drunk driving is illegal,
Uh oh, are they going to make us walk a straight line at the bank, while carrying our boxes?
I already have one teller exclaiming "it's heavy!" which makes me nervous.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 am

I think this is no more complex than liability. I’ll bet if you signed a release they wouldn’t care what you put in your box unless what was in the box was illegal or dangerous to their employees’ health.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 am

Gold can be insured, and can’t the bank just say they are not responsible for lost items?
Kbg wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 am
I think this is no more complex than liability. I’ll bet if you signed a release they wouldn’t care what you put in your box unless what was in the box was illegal or dangerous to their employees’ health.
I don’t know exactly what I signed, but my box is free and I regard it as pretty good security only.

If I store it at home, I’ll get shot. I feel better keeping it at the bank. But, I have no illusions about the bank making me whole if if my coins vanished.

I’d have to have insurance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:21 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 am
Gold can be insured, and can’t the bank just say they are not responsible for lost items?
Kbg wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:12 am
I don’t know exactly what I signed, but my box is free and I regard it as pretty good security only.

If I store it at home, I’ll get shot. I feel better keeping it at the bank. But, I have no illusions about the bank making me whole if if my coins vanished.

I’d have to have insurance.
Agreed!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

dualstow wrote:
If I store it at home, I’ll get shot. I feel better keeping it at the bank.
Agreed. There was a home burglary in my neighborhood a few weeks ago, and the owner was home at the time (midday). The burglar severely beat the man and escaped with a safe. The man died later in the hospital.

Although I don’t know, it’s quite possible the burglar knew about the safe beforehand, and that may have motivated the burglary.

That’s why I don’t keep a safe at home to hold lots of valuables. No matter how careful you are not to tell anyone about it, it’s always possible that knowledge of its existence can leak out somehow (even if just indirect knowledge based on your patterns of behavior).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:30 am

Sorry to hear it. Something like that happening in your vicinity is worth more than 1,000 articles about it happening in other states and countries.
(Tortoise) Although I don’t know, it’s quite possible the burglar knew about the safe beforehand, and that may have motivated the burglary.
Contractor, appraiser, employee of the safe company who delivered it, someone who spoke to any of the above. Too many possibilities, yup.

Look at the poor pangolin. They have scales for protection, and they are being killed for that armor.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am
dualstow wrote:
If I store it at home, I’ll get shot. I feel better keeping it at the bank.
Agreed. There was a home burglary in my neighborhood a few weeks ago, and the owner was home at the time (midday). The burglar severely beat the man and escaped with a safe. The man died later in the hospital.

Although I don’t know, it’s quite possible the burglar knew about the safe beforehand, and that may have motivated the burglary.

That’s why I don’t keep a safe at home to hold lots of valuables. No matter how careful you are not to tell anyone about it, it’s always possible that knowledge of its existence can leak out somehow (even if just indirect knowledge based on your patterns of behavior).
Wow, that's just awful.

I've thought of having a gun safe installed in the master closet, for my shotgun and maybe a rifle. May as well stick some coins in there too. But maybe it's not such a hot idea...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:53 pm

If you do, Xan, consider one of those gun safes that opens rapidly with a combination of hand movements.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 pm

They can be a pain in the @$$ but banks are probably the least flawed and dangerous way to store PMs for the average investor. Home storage is high risk. I don't care what kind of security system you have, or how many pit bulls, or guns etc. you have. If they have a gun to your kid's head and tell you to pop the safe and hand over your gold... that's what your gonna do.