Tankers attacked

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Tankers attacked

Post by ochotona » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 am

Did we do it to justify a war with Iran and more payola for defense contractors?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Tankers attacked

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 am

Could you provide a bit more context, or a link?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 am

Thanks, pug. Now I see why ocho’s headline was so terse. As with the previous attacks, it’s not clear whose torpedos and mines are damaging and destroying these vessels. 🚢
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am

Sorry posting from my phone very early hard to add URLs.

Notice how gold slept and oil only slightly stirred... it's not registering as a big event.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am

I can always count on Dualstow to keep me up to date on the news via avatar and signature line. ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:05 am

Tyler wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 am
I can always count on Dualstow to keep me up to date on the news via avatar and signature line. ;D
I regret that I have but one avatar (at a time) to give. O0
ochotona wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 am
Sorry posting from my phone very early hard to add URLs.
Ocho, just long press the address bar, COPY, type the post and then, in whitespace below the body of your post, long press,
PASTE. You probably already know that, but maybe JacksonM et al will see this.

Another handy phone tip: Text replacement. Settings ⇢ General ⇢ Keyboard... Set "qt" to expand as

Code: Select all

[/quote]
Saves a lot of time and frustration.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Reports say it was an "American-linked" tanker.

What the hell does that mean?

Funny thing is I thought this would be all over the T.V. news when I tuned in and I couldn't find a thing.

I guess there are more important things to talk about ... https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/06/ ... force-one/

So I guess if some evil entity is really trying to start a war in the Middle East (how hard can that be) they probably need to try harder.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:43 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:01 pm
Funny thing is I thought this would be all over the T.V. news when I tuned in and I couldn't find a thing.
It was on CNBC this morning. Maybe it fizzled out in the evening.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 am

Retired General Wesley Clark, in his book, "Winning Modern Wars" (2003), describes his conversation with an officer in the Pentagon shortly after 9/11 regarding a plan to initiate a succession of attacks upon seven identified Middle Eastern countries: "As I went back through the Pentagon in November 2001, one of the senior military staff officers had time for a chat. Yes, we were still on track for going against Iraq, he said. But there was more. This was being discussed as part of a five-year campaign plan, he said, and there were a total of seven countries, beginning with Iraq, then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and finishing off Iran."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YtF76s-yM
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:22 am

I really like Wesley Clark. For a brief time, I thought he had a shot at the presidency.
{ edit: typo only }
Last edited by dualstow on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Dictatorships and theocracies are unacceptable, the question is does non-military intervention work better than military.

https://old.reddit.com/r/neoconNWO/
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:20 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 pm
Dictatorships and theocracies are unacceptable, the question is does non-military intervention work better than military.

Have fun overthrowing the governments of half the damn world, including Saudi Arabia.

And what do you consider non-military interventions? Sanctions are considered an act of war when visited upon the United States.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:14 am
Retired General Wesley Clark, in his book, "Winning Modern Wars" (2003), describes his conversation with an officer in the Pentagon shortly after 9/11 regarding a plan to initiate a succession of attacks upon seven identified Middle Eastern countries: "As I went back through the Pentagon in November 2001, one of the senior military staff officers had time for a chat. Yes, we were still on track for going against Iraq, he said. But there was more. This was being discussed as part of a five-year campaign plan, he said, and there were a total of seven countries, beginning with Iraq, then Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and finishing off Iran."
This is why we can't have nice things... someone is always cooking up a war, then said someone always wants to go off and take a cush job with a weapons contractor after their "public" service career is over.

When the private sector figures out how to feed at the public trough, that's the end. "A republic, if you can keep it.", indeed.

I'm telling you, if we get into another land war in the Sandbox, this country is finished. Totally finished. The resulting new Federal debt will destroy us, actually maybe it's too late, the trillions spent in the Sandbox thus far may have done that already.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:37 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am
I'm telling you, if we get into another land war in the Sandbox, this country is finished. Totally finished. The resulting new Federal debt will destroy us, actually maybe it's too late, the trillions spent in the Sandbox thus far may have done that already.
Raw military might may, ironically, be the only means left of defending the dollar.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Well I guess I finally found out what was meant by "American Linked".

https://fabiusmaximus.com/2019/06/15/cr ... bout-iran/

According to this article the second ship was Norwegian with a crew half Russian and half Filipino. The first one was Japanese.

So the American connection is obvious - apparently all of the ships in the sea belong to the American Empire.

The article also raises serious questions about why Iran would even do this as it makes absolutely no sense.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:47 am
This is why we can't have nice things... someone is always cooking up a war, then said someone always wants to go off and take a cush job with a weapons contractor after their "public" service career is over.

It would help if ex-congressmen couldn’t become lobbyists, board members, etc. I have heard that the reviled Ted Cruz & AOC have said something similar. If so, I agree with them.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:40 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:20 am
boglerdude wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:36 pm

Have fun overthrowing the governments of half the damn world, including Saudi Arabia.

And what do you consider non-military interventions? Sanctions are considered an act of war when visited upon the United States.

Uh no, they are not.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 pm

Okay, now it has escalated to "Drone attacked". No loss of life. Just the loss of a $133 million piece of military equipment.

If you can take anything you read at face value Trump thought it wasn't worth an estimated 150 Iraqi lives in retaliation. I agree. Can't help but wonder how much 150 Iraqi's owe their lives to Jared, Ivanka, and Melania.

Interesting night on Fox News (excuse me for watching but it is pointless to tune into the other channels because they all say the same predictable things). Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham were both asking the question of what is in it for us and pointing out that new and endless wars in the Middle East were not part of Trump's vision of the future that he campaigned on. Sandwiched in between was Sean Hannity who revealed his true colors as a "time to bomb the hell out of them" neo-conservative.

Kind of reminds me of Kennedy's dilemma with the generals in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 pm
Okay, now it has escalated to "Drone attacked". No loss of life. Just the loss of a $133 million piece of military equipment.

If you can take anything you read at face value Trump thought it wasn't worth an estimated 150 Iraqi lives in retaliation. I agree. Can't help but wonder how much 150 Iraqi's owe their lives to Jared, Ivanka, and Melania.

Interesting night on Fox News (excuse me for watching but it is pointless to tune into the other channels because they all say the same predictable things). Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham were both asking the question of what is in it for us and pointing out that new and endless wars in the Middle East were not part of Trump's vision of the future that he campaigned on. Sandwiched in between was Sean Hannity who revealed his true colors as a "time to bomb the hell out of them" neo-conservative.

Kind of reminds me of Kennedy's dilemma with the generals in the Cuban Missile Crisis.
You mean Iranian lives... not Iraqi, right? And why do you think his kids and wife are responsible for that?

Funny you should mention Hannity in that light, because one of the bigger reasons I had doubts that Trump would be any sort of dove was his promise to "bomb the shit out of" ISIS and take the oil out of Iraq by having the military surround the area while oil companies drill out the oil.

I guess we'll see where this all goes...
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am

moda0306 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm
jacksonM wrote:

You mean Iranian lives... not Iraqi, right? And why do you think his kids and wife are responsible for that?

Funny you should mention Hannity in that light, because one of the bigger reasons I had doubts that Trump would be any sort of dove was his promise to "bomb the shit out of" ISIS and take the oil out of Iraq by having the military surround the area while oil companies drill out the oil.

Yes, I meant Iranian but if war breaks out I can well imagine more than 150 Iraqis dying too.

As for his kids, there must be somebody providing a counterweight to all the neoconservative hawks he's surrounded himself with so I was thinking it might be them. Some people are saying it was because he listened to Tucker Carlson who assured him that he can kiss the presidency good bye if he gets us into another war.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 am

jacksonM wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:10 am
moda0306 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:08 pm
jacksonM wrote:

Yes, I meant Iranian but if war breaks out I can well imagine more than 150 Iraqis dying too.

As for his kids, there must be somebody providing a counterweight to all the neoconservative hawks he's surrounded himself with so I was thinking it might be them. Some people are saying it was because he listened to Tucker Carlson who assured him that he can kiss the presidency good bye if he gets us into another war.
Gotcha. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting consisting of Trump, Pompeo, Bolton, and God-knows-who-else (My theory is he patches Rand Paul in via earpiece as part of a 5th-dimensional-chess game by Paul to warm Trump up to civil libertarian & anti-war impulses without him realizing he's being duped).

But seriously, how weird/contentions/manipulative do these meetings have to be?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:52 pm

Iran says it has seized foreign oil tanker in Gulf
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... er-in-gulf
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 pm

British. ^
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:50 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:52 pm
Iran says it has seized foreign oil tanker in Gulf
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... er-in-gulf
I was watching Hannity on Fox for a while last night (only because it is sandwiched between Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham both of whom I like).

He fancied himself delivering a message to Iran, as though they were listening, that he has known Donald Trump for over 20 years and if he has to take military action it isn't going to be a long, drawn out war like we are used to by now but it will be decisive and over quickly.

He's a ****ing idiot if he believes that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:40 pm

There is no *if* about Hannity being dim. How does this guy have a show?