Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Post by jacksonM »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 pm Looks like Mexico made a deal with the U.S. to avoid the tariff.

Maybe Trump actually knew what he was doing.
Great.

Now how long before some federal judge blocks the whole thing again?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Tortoise wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:31 pm Looks like Mexico made a deal with the U.S. to avoid the tariff.

Maybe Trump actually knew what he was doing.
I'm glad we avoided tariff. But this does go completely against what he said on Twitter. He said tariffs would remain in until illegal immigration stopped completely. So I'm not so sure he does know what he is doing. I think he is just running off of his day to day erratic emotions.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

pmward wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 am I'm glad we avoided tariff. But this does go completely against what he said on Twitter. He said tariffs would remain in until illegal immigration stopped completely.
Isn’t that usually how deal negotiations work? One party asks for everything, the other party says they can’t give everything but can give X, Y, Z, and then the two parties eventually meet somewhere in the middle?

Admit it, even though Trump lacks a filter and can be a loose cannon, the guy knows how to make a deal. He literally wrote the book on it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Tortoise wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:29 pm
pmward wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 am I'm glad we avoided tariff. But this does go completely against what he said on Twitter. He said tariffs would remain in until illegal immigration stopped completely.
Isn’t that usually how deal negotiations work? One party asks for everything, the other party says they can’t give everything but can give X, Y, Z, and then the two parties eventually meet somewhere in the middle?

Admit it, even though Trump lacks a filter and can be a loose cannon, the guy knows how to make a deal. He literally wrote the book on it.
Ask China if he knows how to make a deal :o
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Now we hear everything Mexico agreed to was already in negotiation and in the pipeline for a long while. Which makes the entire last week just a stunt. I just can't stop thinking... "he's trying to manufacture dips to buy". And doing very well.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

ochotona wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:02 pm Now we hear everything Mexico agreed to was already in negotiation and in the pipeline for a long while. Which makes the entire last week just a stunt. I just can't stop thinking... "he's trying to manufacture dips to buy". And doing very well.
Well then Mexico could have implemented any of the items that are in the agreement a looooong time ago.
But it looks like they took a laissez-faire approach. So now with the Tariffs have been "indefinitely suspended" and the deal is struck.
When the ink is dry, the agreement can be used as a tool to show that Mexico's government is not in control of their country if the Illegal Immigration is not reduced. Some reports show 40 percent to 80 of Mexico is controlled by Cartels or ungoverned.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

shekels wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 am
ochotona wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:02 pm Now we hear everything Mexico agreed to was already in negotiation and in the pipeline for a long while. Which makes the entire last week just a stunt. I just can't stop thinking... "he's trying to manufacture dips to buy". And doing very well.
Well then Mexico could have implemented any of the items that are in the agreement a looooong time ago.
But it looks like they took a laissez-faire approach. So now with the Tariffs have been "indefinitely suspended" and the deal is struck.
When the ink is dry, the agreement can be used as a tool to show that Mexico's government is not in control of their country if the Illegal Immigration is not reduced. Some reports show 40 percent to 80 of Mexico is controlled by Cartels or ungoverned.
https://www.contralinea.com.mx/archivo- ... inaciones/

With the help of Translate:

Contralínea reveals the deployment of the National Guard, from the document "Military links" and the Federal Police for the Regional Coordinations. The file shows that insecurity and violence dominate in around 80 percent of the national territory.

The military plan of the government of Andrés Manuel López Obrador against organized crime has begun with 150 Regional Coordinations, out of a total of 266 that will be operating in the middle of the sexennium. A total of 50 thousand troops have already begun the deployment in which, in 3 years, will eventually participate 110 thousand.

Of the total of Coordinations (or quadrants) in which the authorities divided the country to confront organized crime, 153 (57.52 percent) present a level of "high" violence, that is, they are controlled so far by the criminals. In addition, 62 (23.3 percent) have a "medium" level: there is a dispute over control of the area between criminal organizations and the authorities. And only 53 (19.92 percent) enjoy a low level of violence, which means that control is exercised by the authorities.

Contrary to the recommendations of national and international human rights defense organizations, the president intends to calm the country with an unprecedented military deployment in the history of Mexico.

70% of the national territory, in the hands of crime: criminal traffic light of the federal government

The criminal traffic light -with which the federal government evaluates the insecurity and violence in the country and defines the priority destinations for the National Guard- reveals that 70 percent of the national territory is in the power of organized crime. (Read more)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

shekels wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:05 am
That's what I figure too. The Trumpasaur put the Mexican government between a rock and a hard place. I would hate to be right here, but I wonder if we might see him announce some kind of enhanced joint-participation operations (roll it into the War On Drugs?) with the Mexicans to take on the cartels.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.