Post by Xan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:12 pm

Quel dommage... :'(
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Notre Dame

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:26 pm

It's terrible. Really hope it was accidental.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm

I hope connections to the other churches burned in France since the mass immigration are not found.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm
I hope connections to the other churches burned in France since the mass immigration are not found.
I'm assuming we're all in agreement that the truth should be found, whatever it is. I'm all for hoping it was an accident. From everything I'm hearing, that seems to be the story. If that isn't the case, though, I certainly hope it's discovered.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:15 pm

A fire during renovations? Don’t attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 am

Sad, and horrifying. I was in that church just a few months ago, and lit a candle for my father (was in Paris for a conference and took a bit of time to play tourist). The magnitude of what has been destroyed is almost beyond imagining.

It's a little early to rule out arson, but I am sure there will be an investigation. Meanwhile, it's good that no one has claimed "credit" for it, which hopefully makes terrorism less likely.

Also I have to say, Trump's uninformed suggestion about how to fight the fire was in pretty poor taste. Just give your condolences and move on, dude.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:21 am

Was there ~1990. A pity.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am

Xan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
I'm assuming we're all in agreement that the truth should be found, whatever it is. I'm all for hoping it was an accident. From everything I'm hearing, that seems to be the story. If that isn't the case, though, I certainly hope it's discovered.
I too hope the truth is discovered. I'm also relatively sure (my speculation) if the truth were found to be related to the large influx of imigrants who think it is their duty to destroy infidels and their symbols it would probably not be disclosed. The country of France could not bear it and large scale uprisings would likely tear the country apart; many would die. Destruction of a (the?) national centuries old symbol of France would not be taken lightly. It would be far worse than the perception "It's is just destruction of a religious icon by another fanatical religious group." My two cents.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:41 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:35 am
Xan wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:59 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
I too hope the truth is discovered. I'm also relatively sure (my speculation) if the truth were found to be related to the large influx of imigrants who think it is their duty to destroy infidels and their symbols it would probably not be disclosed. The country of France could not bear it and large scale uprisings would likely tear the country apart; many would die. Destruction of a (the?) national centuries old symbol of France would not be taken lightly. It would be far worse than the perception "It's is just destruction of a religious icon by another fanatical religious group." My two cents.
It still seems, to my completely uninformed eyes, that an accident is by far the most likely cause. If it were intentional, I could certainly see that there would be a contingent looking to cover it up, as you say. Yes, it would be a difficult time... But perhaps better to have it out sooner than later.

What we should all really hope for is that the results of the investigation are unequivocal and unimpeachable. That everything is transparent and honest, such that anybody with an axe to grind of whatever kind can't claim something different happened. Probably not realistic.

And on the good news front: things are looking much better this morning than the "we may not be able to save the cathedral" we were hearing yesterday. Whew.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 am

I don't want to sound sacrilegious during holy week but I can't help but think of Stephen's speech in the book of Acts where he said "The Most High does not live in temple's made by human hands".

This got him stoned to death.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:01 am

A man was just arrested for bringing gas cans into NYC’s St Patrick’s Cathedral
Deveux

Post by Deveux » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:03 am

A week ago I went to France to look for a property for sale in Côte d'Azur https://tranio.com/france/cote_d_azur/ and was in Paris exactly a day after in happened. Walked by what was left and it looks horrible. So many years of history just burned in several hours. So sad...
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:05 am

^ Welcome to the forum. Youre in France? How's the immigration and protest stuff going
Deveux

Post by Deveux » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:26 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:05 am
^ Welcome to the forum. Youre in France? How's the immigration and protest stuff going
Thank you! Protests are still going, they just don't stop. I feel sorry for owners of cars on the streets and shop owners... These protest guys just destroy everything on their way just to prove their point.