Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:59 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 am
Getting back to the thread title, I came across this little diddy and thought some of you might find it enjoyable, funny, disgusting, or a bunch of crap. Pick your own descriptor.

Hmm, I have relatives who share a similar sentiment with regard to the raccoon remover, if even I recognize this as the racist Infowars rant.

https://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania ... aign-event ;)

EDIT: So I don’t derail with follow up posts, I’ll add that I don’t think Hasids should have special rights, either. No separate swimming pool hours by gender, etc. There was a great 1990s article in the LA Times about friction in a famous neighborhood where loads of Orthodox had moved in. One of their shenanigans was walking in the middle of the street at night so as to not activate burglar sensor lights (= lighting a “fire” = work) on the Sabbath. O0 Among the forefront of complainants about the influx: secular Jews. Good stuff.

Still, I don’t know if a hateful guy like Trump who stirs up the worst in people, and the worst people, is necessary to decide that Muslim women cannot have exclusive rights to a public pool one day out of the year. We can achieve that with swampy, non-hateful representatives.
Interesting, I did not realize that came from Infowars or I probably would not have posted it. However, those racoons are pesky! Do racoons live in a swamp with the alligators, water moccasins, and wine country moguls who live behind walls? ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 am

O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am
Interesting, I did not realize that came from Infowars or I probably would not have posted it. However, those racoons are pesky! Do racoons live in a swamp with the alligators, water moccasins, and wine country moguls who live behind walls? ;)
If you liked the story, who cares where it came from? Baby, bathwater, and such.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:23 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:18 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:52 am
If you liked the story, who cares where it came from? Baby, bathwater, and such.
I've been pondering your comment and came to the conclusion you are correct. It is much better to evaluate material based on the content rather than the speaker or writer of the content. Facts over emotion. Substance over style. And last but not least, Trump's accomplishments vs. Trump. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:53 pm

Continuing in that vein, and since this thread is about Trump, I read in someone's post above that Trump is hateful.

Could someone please list one or more actions that Trump has taken as president that demonstrate his hatefulness?

I realize that words can be considered as actions, especially if they are meant to incite action by someone else. But for the purposes of this exercise, I would prefer examples that are not just words but are actual action-actions (mainly because I don't trust that the words as reported to the public by the media have not been twisted).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:33 pm

I think you’re asking for too much. Offhand, I can’t even supply evidence of David Duke, let alone Trump, being hateful if you want actions. Only words.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:48 pm

Well then I remain unconvinced that he is in fact hateful. I think he's just a guy who likes money and power, like most politicians. I don't think he's motivated one way or another by race. The media is always trying to paint him as the next Hitler, hateful of Jews, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, etc. For Pete sake, the husband of his favorite daughter is a Jew -- actually she is too I believe, having converted for her husband.

Yeah, he wants to build a border wall and have a stronger no-fly list against potential Muslim terrorists. The media paints that as hateful. I think he does it because he thinks it's a good way to protect his own people, which is supposed to be his job after all. Of course, it also gets him votes from like-minded people, but isn't that how democracy is supposed to work?

I really don't see the hate.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:59 am

I’m for improved border security and better vetting as well.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:48 pm
Well then I remain unconvinced that he is in fact hateful. I think he's just a guy who likes money and power, like most politicians. I don't think he's motivated one way or another by race. The media is always trying to paint him as the next Hitler, hateful of Jews, blacks, Mexicans, Muslims, etc. For Pete sake, the husband of his favorite daughter is a Jew -- actually she is too I believe, having converted for her husband.

Yeah, he wants to build a border wall and have a stronger no-fly list against potential Muslim terrorists. The media paints that as hateful. I think he does it because he thinks it's a good way to protect his own people, which is supposed to be his job after all. Of course, it also gets him votes from like-minded people, but isn't that how democracy is supposed to work?

I really don't see the hate.
TDS is a terrible scourge.
Hopefully science will find a cure someday.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm

TDS is a terrible scourge.
Hopefully science will find a cure someday.
I don’t, is there any funding left for science? :-)
j/k, I double-checked. Interesting mix of results, though, when you google

Code: Select all

Trump and science funding
Nearly every science agency stands to get more money under a spending bill that avoids proposed cuts from the White House. -The Atlantic

Trump Budget Gives Last-Minute Reprieve to Science Funding
Funding for the National Science Foundation and National Institutes of Health would hold steady after Congress agrees to lift spending caps, but details are fuzzy

- Scientific American

And so on. Bottom line: science will get funding in spite of Trump.
A cure for TDS, though? Not a high priority. :-)
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 am

This story says Trump is considering a military option in Venezuela but I'm hoping he's just trying humor Lindsey Graham who would probably be very much in favor. If there is a military option I'll be quickly switching from being a lukewarm Trump supporter to the "impeach the mother*****" side of the aisle.

https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-fore ... e0185.html
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:16 am

Let the games begin.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:36 am

jacksonM wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:15 am
This story says Trump is considering a military option in Venezuela but I'm hoping he's just trying humor Lindsey Graham who would probably be very much in favor. If there is a military option I'll be quickly switching from being a lukewarm Trump supporter to the "impeach the mother*****" side of the aisle.

hey now- that is NOT going to happen. All the Trump supporters here are antiwar and I admire that. I say that with zero flippancy or snarkiness. There are arguments for and against pulling out of Afghanistan, blah blah, but Trump is not going to launch any new invasions. No sir.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm

jacksonM wrote:

Well the article does say (in bold and more than once) that there are no signs that Trump is moving in the direction of military intervention. And to the author's credit, it doesn't even start off with "Sources say...".

So maybe the real question is: why get yourself all worked up about it?
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:46 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:33 pm
jacksonM wrote:

Well the article does say (in bold and more than once) that there are no signs that Trump is moving in the direction of military intervention. And to the author's credit, it doesn't even start off with "Sources say...".

So maybe the real question is: why get yourself all worked up about it?
Nothing better to do today.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:55 am

Maybe when politics gets to be too much, it’s time to go see what the markets are doing. :)

Now Trump’s support of the New England Patriots... that is truly concerning.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

I know I missed my window, but

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Tangentially related, before he became the Stoic philosophy author/guru, Ryan Holiday wrote Trust Me, I'm Lying, about how the media is manipulated, how to spot it, etc. One tactic used is getting a story play at a bottom-feeding blog/outlet with no journalistic integrity, which then gets picked up by bigger outlets who cite the original source. That's a big reason news organizations loooooooooooove Twitter and other social media. Or just emailing news organizations/using their anonymous tips button and lying to them directly. They're pressured to get stories out immediately, so they can't fact check them. They put them out, and then (maybe) put out retractions or modify them afterwards, but "there are no consequences for being wrong" as he says.
Tim Pool was just on Joe Rogan's podcast and he gave a funny example, where his brother made up a fake story (about weed) and spoofed a news site and put it up. High Times picked it up and it got 50,000 shares. "When they corrected the article, saying it was a hoax, they said 'we wanted to call for verification, but thought the story was too hot to pass up.'"

^-^

2:33:51 also.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am

“I’m announcing a national emergency.”
“...I didn’t need to do this.”
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am
“I’m announcing a national emergency.”
“...I didn’t need to do this.”
Right. He didn't have to announce it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 pm

O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm

When he did his sing song of this:

"We will have a national emergency, and we will then be sued, and they will sue us in the 9th Circuit, even though it shouldn't be there, and we will possibly get a bad ruling, and then we'll get another bad ruling, and then we'll end up in the Supreme Court, and hopefully we'll get a fair shake and we'll win in the Supreme Court."

I thought: God damn. The president of the United States is up there like a valley girl.

He is so contradictory in virtually every sentence he utters it is mind boggling.

"No, no, I use many stats. I use many stats."

Pretty sure he would never make it as an engineer or any kind of analyst.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm
I thought: God damn. The president of the United States is up there like a valley girl.
Was he sassy? https://youtu.be/TkTCTieHlzg
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:37 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:27 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:43 pm
Was he sassy? https://youtu.be/TkTCTieHlzg
That is hilarious.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:16 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:35 pm
He never called "the press" the enemy of the people.
He called "fake news" the enemy of the people.

Isn't it odd that they never mention that detail?
Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account

@realDonaldTrump

The New York Times reporting is false. They are a true ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!

5:49 AM - 20 Feb 2019
Well, case closed on that one. O0

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/sta ... 6255414272