Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Kids: Then and Now

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:26 am

ochotona wrote:It being Good Friday and all, we were watching the 1972 movie, "Jesus Christ Superstar".

All of the actors were really skinny, except for the guy playing Herod. Now you don't see that. Young people are way more overweight and obese now, even actors. I don't get it... as I recall, we ate whatever we wanted in 1972!
Hadn't gotten into "healthy whole grains" much yet and saturated fat is bad, low fat is good, which has screwed more than a generation but is finally turning.

I also assume a decent amount less processed food back then as well.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am

I saw the new Jesus Christ Superstar on TV. Hypothesis confirmed!
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:06 am

Hilarious. 1972 is the year the Senate imposed the low fat experiment on us. I think it should be obvious by now that the experiment failed on a grand scale. Still, I remember eating plenty of Pop Tarts and Ring Dings as a kid.

I think that might not be the only problem though: have you wondered why girls are starting to menstruate earlier and earlier? The age used to be 12-15. When I was growing up it had shifted back to 11-13 or so. My nieces all started at age 9-10, and there are reports of girls as young as 7. Why this isn't ringing defcon 5 alarm bells I have no idea, except women's health issues in general don't get a lot of love (sorry guys but it's true). These girls are the canaries in the coal mine, and I bet that whatever is causing this is also making people fatter. Xenoestrogens in plastics, growth hormone treated cows/steers, etc have all been talked about, but there's really been no serious investigations that might actually address the problem.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm

There's been some hubub about how Washington DC's high school graduation rate is about to fall to like 40%. Slatestarcodex posted some comments:
DC Public Schools HS teacher here (although I’m not returning next year, as is the case with many of my colleagues). As noted, one of the biggest factors in the graduation rates is the unexcused absences–if you look at the results of our external audit and investigation here, you see that for many schools, a significant number of our seniors “Passed Despite Excessive Absences in Regular Instruction Courses Required for Graduation”–over 40% of 2017 graduates at my high school, for example.

So the attendance policy is being strictly enforced now, and you can see how from that alone, a ~30% drop in expected graduates is possible. Some more details about strictly enforcing the attendance policy though:

1: DCPS has what’s called the ’80 20′ rule: A student that is absent for at least 20% of their classes is considered absent for the whole day.
2: Most schools have 5 periods, so an absence in one class would be considered an absence for the whole day.
3: If you have 10 or more unexcused absences in a class, you automatically get an F for the term.
4: If you are over 15 minutes late for a class, that is considered an unexcused absence.
5: A majority of these absences are in first period.
6: A majority of students in my school and many others live in single parent households.
7: These students are typically responsible for making sure their younger siblings get to school, if they have any.
8: Elementary and middle schools in my neighborhood start at the exact same time as high school.
9: Their doors do not open until 5 to 10 minutes before the starting bell, presumably for safety reasons.
10: Refer to point 4.

There’s many other problems at DCPS to be sure, but this set of circumstances alone is causing the largest increase in failing grades and graduation ineligibility at my high school, and basically every other 90+% black school in the district. You could see how this accounts for quite a bit of the difference between white and black graduation rates as well. There’s a reason why across the board, DCPS schools were not strictly enforcing this policy in previous years.
Have they tried reframing it as being culturally enthusiastic?
I was friends with a guy who briefly worked as a teacher at a public high school in central DC (I’m 80% sure it was Cardozo High). He had an education background thanks to spending several years working as a youth camp counselor and as an after-school program counselor, and that was sufficient to qualify him for DCPS’ abbreviated teacher training program (such a thing existed in 2009 when he did it; I’m unsure if it is still around). During the training program, I remember him speaking about his enthusiasm for the teaching skills he was learning and about his eagerness to put them to use (in retrospect, I think some of this was a nervous attempt to convince himself the job wouldn’t be bad). After a break of several months, we spoke again, and he was almost totally disillusioned with the job and was already thinking of quitting. This is what I remember him saying:

3) Student misbehavior was atrocious. For example, out of the students who showed up to class, it was common for some to walk into the classroom late, again without any explanation and often behaving disruptively. As a rule, whenever a student did that, he was obligated to sign his name on a clipboard for the teacher’s attendance records (there was no punishment for tardiness–late students merely had to write their names down). Some late students would chronically resist doing this, either ignoring him and just going to their desks or yelling curses at him. My friend described an incident where one student–who was physically bigger than he was–yelled out he was a “FAGGOT” when asked to sign the clipboard, provoking laughs from all the other students, before sitting down without signing it. After seeing he could get away with that, the student started calling my friend “FAGGOT” all the time.

4) Teachers received almost no support from the school administration. Had sane rules been followed at this high school, students would have been immediately sent to the office for formal punishment for these sorts of offenses I’ve described. However, under such a policy, the office would have been overwhelmed with misbehaving students and probably some of their enraged parents, so the administration solved the problem by forbidding teachers from sending students to the office for anything other than physical violence in the classroom. My friend had no ability to formally punish the student who liked to call him “FAGGOT” other than to use stern verbal warnings.

6) At the time my friend was teaching, DCPS was in the grips of some harebrained, faddish teaching philosophy that said students of different academic abilities shouldn’t be put in different course tracks, but rather, should be deliberately put in the same class. This of course caused immediate problems since the curriculum was too hard for the weakest students and too easy for the strongest ones. I think my friend said his training program basically told teachers to “try harder” if any problems arose from the setup.
SO GLAD MY PARENTS LOVED ME AND SENT ME TO PRIVATE SCHOOL

And the last highlighted comment ties it back to kids then and now:
If you go back to the 60s, DC had some of the best urban schools in the country by every metric they had to track things back then. What changed? Well, see, back then DC still didn’t have home rule. They were almost entirely run by the federal government. So the highest elected office the city had was the DC Board of Education.

In 1971, an ambitious young politician by the name of Marion Barry got elected to the board, and almost immediately began farming out school administration positions as political rewards for his cronies. This practice caught on, and within a matter of years, the whole enterprise basically descended into naked corruption.

I recall they showed a figure in that article that the DC public school system spends the third most money per student of any district in the country (after NY and Boston); however, the Post also found that in terms of the quantity of money that is actually spent on students, DC was roughly at the level of the most poverty-stricken districts in the poorest Southern, rural school districts.
I assume kids back in the 60s also didn't call their teachers a faggot to their face either.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:29 pm

Kids: Then and Now... Viking edition.

THEN

Viking children must have played, as all children do. Wooden toys have been found: small ships, swords, dolls and animal figures. Most of these were probably made for children to play with. But some of the objects were also useful to train various skills, which the children could use as adults, in work or in conflict.

For example, a spinning top trained a child’s fingers in the movements used in spinning. A small toy boat could, in addition, reflect the wish to travel on an expedition with an adult crew. A wooden sword could be used for training until it was exchanged for an iron one. Play could therefore also be used for more serious purposes.

The word ”play”, as we know it today, was not just reserved for children in the Viking period. “Play” was also used in relation to sports and exercise, musical instruments and weapons.

Adults also played together. In the Icelandic sagas, for example, men are praised for proficiency in jumping, throwing and running. The possession of such abilities could mean the difference between life and death in a battle situation.

NOW
Elia climbed onto the table in front of her classmates. She threw her fists into the air and jumped on to the blue mats below.
“I am strong,” the 3-year-old said, her eyes alight with pride and exhilaration.

On the other side of this nursery school in the chic neighborhood of Laufásborg, boys were practicing having “gentle hands” by massaging each other with lotion.

Iceland is consistently ranked first in the world for gender equality. But the Hjalli teaching model, as practiced in the nursery school, is considered progressive even in Iceland. Founded in 1989 by self-described radical feminist Margrét Pála Ólafsdóttir, Hjalli schools aim to counter stereotypical gender roles and behaviors.
one recent day, two 9-year-old boys were pretending to be babysitters.

“We have to get the babies ready because their parents are coming soon,” said Óli, as he laid gender-neutral rag dolls out one-by-one under the table in what appeared to be an imaginary bed.

“You have to hold them like this,” said his classmate Ári Liljan, cradling a rag doll in his arms.

Their teacher, Kristín Cardew, had lit candles and drawn the blinds of this minimalist classroom. At other stations around the room, boys styled each other's hair, painted on nail polish or gave each other full-body massages.

“The dolls are only for the boys. The girls don’t need to practice this,” explained Cardew, who said she does structured gender compensation work in class about once a week depending on how much she deems it’s needed.
"Kicking and hurting, this is the extreme weakness of the boys," according to Cardew.
In the woods behind the school, the girls’ activity was also causing some problems. Participants were supposed to be climbing trees and walking along walls... Crying is particularly discouraged and weeping girls are promptly told to stop."
As literally everyone could expect, the article focuses on how the school makes girls into strong "Viking women." No mention of the boys growing up into heroic hairstylists and babysitters.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:00 pm
4: If you are over 15 minutes late for a class, that is considered an unexcused absence.
In my freshman year of high school I had a homeroom teacher whose policy was that if you were not inside the room when the tardy bell rang you got your ass beat in front of the whole class - and this meant "boy or girl". A great way to start each day in school. It never happened but only because the next time it did, the unfortunate young man ran out of the building in a panic and into a cornfield. We didn't see him again for about a week. After that, there were no more tardies for the rest of the year.

Not endorsing the idea at all, just observing how much things have changed since 1964.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm

https://quillette.com/2019/02/10/public ... ty-secret/
But one afternoon, for some unknowable reason, this usually gentle giant came up to me and said, “I gonna cut yo’ ass.” That was the final humiliation I would suffer in the New York City public school system.

I left that afternoon never to return. . .

One teacher phoned me to say that in her culture “I gonna cut yo’ ass” should not be taken literally, it just meant that he would teach me a lesson. “I don’t care,” I replied. Another called to express her astonishment that I would abandon my students. Why on earth did that matter, I answered, they hadn’t learned anything anyway. The school would hand out passing grades no matter what I did.

It is not poor teaching or a lack of money that is failing our most vulnerable populations. The real problem is an ethos of rejection that has never been openly admitted by those in authority.

Why should millions of perfectly normal adolescents, not all of them ghettoized, resist being educated? The reason is that they know deep down that due to the color of their skin, less is expected of them. This they deeply resent. How could they not resent being seen as less capable? It makes perfect psychological sense. Being very young, however, they cannot articulate their resentment, or understand the reasons for it, especially since the adults in charge hide the truth. So they take out their rage on the only ones they can: themselves and their teachers.

They also take revenge on a fraudulent system that pretends to educate them. The authorities cover up their own incompetence, and when that fails, blame the parents and teachers, or lack of funding, or “poverty,” “racism,” and so on. The media follow suit. Starting with our lawmakers, the whole country swallows the lie.

Why do precious few adults admit the truth out loud? Because in America the taboo against questioning the current orthodoxy on race is too strong and the price is too high. What is failing our most vulnerable populations is the lack of political will to acknowledge and solve the real problems. The first step is to change the ”anti-discrimination” laws that breed anti-social behavior. Disruptive students must be removed from the classroom, not to punish them but to protect the majority of students who want to learn.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm
Why should millions of perfectly normal adolescents, not all of them ghettoized, resist being educated? The reason is that they know deep down that due to the color of their skin, less is expected of them. This they deeply resent. How could they not resent being seen as less capable? It makes perfect psychological sense. Being very young, however, they cannot articulate their resentment, or understand the reasons for it, especially since the adults in charge hide the truth. So they take out their rage on the only ones they can: themselves and their teachers.
And just what is the truth that the adults are hiding? Charles Murray has gotten himself into a whole heap of trouble identifying it so it is no wonder that nobody speaks of it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

This was all a big misunderstanding. The poor student was trying to say “I’m gonna cut yo ass a piece of cake” and he got interrupted!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I started on The Bell Curve, but I'm saving it until next month when I start getting into that kind of crimethink in depth. I'm not sure if it was in there, or another place I was reading some prelim stuff, but it seems the nerds are still researching, but they're not disseminating into the popular culture if they can help it. I'll know more in a few weeks.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:47 pm
I started on The Bell Curve, but I'm saving it until next month when I start getting into that kind of crimethink in depth. I'm not sure if it was in there, or another place I was reading some prelim stuff, but it seems the nerds are still researching, but they're not disseminating into the popular culture if they can help it. I'll know more in a few weeks.
I've never read the Bell Curve and I'm sure it would be way too complicated for me to understand, or at least to stay focused on for very long. As a Caucasian I'm only in the middle of the pack behind Jews and Asians. I've done well enough in life however and I harbor no resentment towards either of those groups. As a matter of fact I'm married to one of them.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 pm

In the intro, they say that if you don't want to read all the nitty gritty, you can get the gist of it by reading a total of 30 pages (the beginnings of each chapter).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm

“If you are only of Caucasian intelligence, please turn to page 72 for a simpler version...”

Well, Murray himself is of Irish extraction.
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm
I've never read the Bell Curve and I'm sure it would be way too complicated for me to understand, or at least to stay focused on for very long. As a Caucasian I'm only in the middle ..
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 pm
In the intro, they say that if you don't want to read all the nitty gritty, you can get the gist of it by reading a total of 30 pages (the beginnings of each chapter).
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:37 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:46 pm
“If you are only of Caucasian intelligence, please turn to page 72 for a simpler version...”

Well, Murray himself is of Irish extraction.
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:16 pm
I've never read the Bell Curve and I'm sure it would be way too complicated for me to understand, or at least to stay focused on for very long. As a Caucasian I'm only in the middle ..
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:17 pm
When I was in elementary school I always got good grades and had established myself as one of the smartest kids in the class. When I got to junior high school somebody came up with the bright idea in the 8th grade of grouping students according to IQ or whatever and I was assigned to section "81". Section "84" was the lowest. It didn't take long to learn that I was no longer the smartest kid in the class. In fact, I was far from it. Hard to even imagine what those in section "84" must have felt.

Fortunately, we were ALL white so there were no racial overtones. There may have been a Jew or two but how do you even tell a Jew from a Caucasian?

Unfortunately, this is life on planet earth. I think we're probably dealing with these kinds of racial disparities as best we can when all is said and done. Maybe future generations will learn something from the experiment.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 am

How do you even tell
That’s how we infiltrate you, mwah ha hahhhh.
According to the most recent studies, Ashkenazi Jews have quite a lot of European DNA, so you could say they’re Caucasian.

Even if you accept these “disparities”, and I don’t know that we should — the book was never peer-reviewed— they’re just generalizations, aren’t they? And, as we continue to interbreed, any disparities will melt away.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am

Wow, quite an eye opening article. The "anti-discrimination"-caused chaos in schools is nuts. So wonderful that my property taxes are going to pay for what amounts to city-provided day care.

I'm sure this former NYC teacher has better insight than I do, but I couldn't help thinking that the sentence about the kids resenting the fact that "less is expected of them" is pure, unsupported speculation. Here's another speculation: They've been taught their whole lives that they can get by in life just fine without having to subject themselves to any form of work or discipline, and that the world owes them a living. The only thing to be resented is any hint of school-imposed authority. There's really no chance that this attitude can be changed solely by public school.

Downsides of affirmative action, I guess?
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:31 am
How do you even tell
According to the most recent studies, Ashkenazi Jews have quite a lot of European DNA, so you could say they’re Caucasian.

Even if you accept these “disparities”, and I don’t know that we should — the book was never peer-reviewed— they’re just generalizations, aren’t they? And, as we continue to interbreed, any disparities will melt away.
Well, I can tell that someone like Ben Shapiro is a Jew because he wears a beanie but other than that I find it pretty hard. Adam Sandler's Hannukah song sorting this out for us was a hoot.

I didn't know Murray's findings were never peer reviewed but if they weren't maybe that's because nobody else would want to touch them with a ten foot pole. And given what happened to him and others that might have been smart.

If you've had much experience interacting with other races, are Murray's findings really that surprising? If you believe in evolution why wouldn't you expect to find disparities in IQ among racial groups?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 pm

I can certainly accept the possibility that one race could have a different average IQ than another race, just like some races are clearly better equipped for certain sports than other races. And at this point maybe it's good for me to advertise my self-belief that I am not consciously racist. I have friends from every continent and general racial group on earth.

Here's the question I have for the human biodiversity people who believe that some races are statistically smarter than others: if that in fact were shown to be the case, then what would we do with that information? What changes in social policy would be indicated?
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:09 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:40 am
Wow, quite an eye opening article. The "anti-discrimination"-caused chaos in schools is nuts. So wonderful that my property taxes are going to pay for what amounts to city-provided day care.
Heh
I'm sure this former NYC teacher has better insight than I do, but I couldn't help thinking that the sentence about the kids resenting the fact that "less is expected of them" is pure, unsupported speculation. Here's another speculation: They've been taught their whole lives that they can get by in life just fine without having to subject themselves to any form of work or discipline, and that the world owes them a living. The only thing to be resented is any hint of school-imposed authority. There's really no chance that this attitude can be changed solely by public school.

Downsides of affirmative action, I guess?
Individuals gonna individual. A couple of my military friends refused to identify themselves as black in order to get assignments they wanted because they didn't want to feel like they didn't earn it.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:18 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 pm
Here's the question I have for the human biodiversity people who believe that some races are statistically smarter than others: if that in fact were shown to be the case, then what would we do with that information? What changes in social policy would be indicated?
Social policies shouldn't limit or boost people artificially, they should let people shine or be dull based on their own characteristics and traits. That seems just, yea?

EDIT

So in this case, don't force kids to go to public schools. Let them go to charter schools if they want to.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Simonjester wrote: if your ancestors were consistently starving, under constant threat from warlords or tyrants of one sort or another, had to have many kids in order for a few strong (but not necessarily the brightest) to survive ... and this has happened for generation after generation after generation.... I suspect anybody’s IQ would be lower as well.. the fact that certain races "seem" to have lower IQs may have far more to do with the above than it has to do with race, unless those factors are accounted for....
I suspect a couple generations of western living would bring IQ scores up to par or near par for any group..

(until they started to let their kids get dumbed down by a government education..)
It would probably help if they assimilated. For instance, Pakistanis living in the UK seem to have a problem with inbreeding and associated disorders (including low cognitive ability obviously), despite having lived there for quite a while.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Simonjester wrote:
I suspect a couple generations of western living would bring IQ scores up to par or near par for any group..
How did "western living" get to be the gold-standard for civilization? Were westerners blessed with "magic dirt" as some would claim? Was it just dumb luck? Do westerners have an inherent IQ advantage?
Simonjester wrote:
necessity is the mother of invention ?
rising to the challenge of harsh climates opens the eyes to the possibility of achieving something other than a hungry, oppressed, dimwitted life dedicated to squeezing out a couple offspring capable of enduring the same ? ?

....just a wild guess by the way... :-\
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:53 pm

dualstow wrote:
How do you even tell
jacksonM wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm
Well, I can tell that someone like Ben Shapiro is a Jew because he wears a beanie but other than that I find it pretty hard. Adam Sandler's Hannukah song sorting this out for us was a hoot.
jackson really wants to know how to tell.
dualstow wrote:
Even if you accept these “disparities”, and I don’t know that we should — the book was never peer-reviewed— they’re just generalizations, aren’t they?
jacksonM wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm
I didn't know Murray's findings were never peer reviewed but if they weren't maybe that's because nobody else would want to touch them with a ten foot pole. And given what happened to him and others that might have been smart.
*Shrug*
dualstow wrote:
And, as we continue to interbreed, any disparities will melt away.
Maybe?
If you believe in evolution why wouldn't you expect to find disparities in IQ among racial groups?
Aversion to hatefacts.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 16, 2019 5:56 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:55 pm
". . . the SAT will include a new measure for privilege beginning this year.

Along with scores measuring math and reading comprehension, the test will include an "adversity score" that indicates a test taker's social and economic background. College Board, the New York nonprofit that administers the test, rolled out a beta version to 50 colleges last year and found it led to greater nonwhite student enrollment" link

So like, the opposite of what I suggested.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 pm

Adversity Score - that pretty sums up the extreme Left this decade.
So, this isn’t ‘The Onion’?