The Year Social Networks Were No Longer Social

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Year Social Networks Were No Longer Social

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:45 pm

If you’ve been active on the web for long enough, you may have fond memories of internet forums. Maybe you were a fan of video games, Harry Potter or painting.

Fragmentation was key. You could be active on multiple forums and you didn’t have to mention your other passions. Over time, you’d see the same names come up again and again on your favorite forum. You’d create your own running jokes, discover things together, laugh, cry and feel something.

When I was a teenager, I was active on multiple forums. I remember posting thousands of messages a year and getting to know new people. It felt like hanging out with a welcoming group of friends because you shared the same passions.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/12/23/the-y ... er-social/
Glad you're all my bros.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Year Social Networks Were No Longer Social

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:58 pm

The internet was the best when blogs and forums ruled, right before social media exploded.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm

Are you doing your best to undermine social media usage among your social groups? A few helpful phrases to practice and deploy:

"Those people aren't your friends."

"What do the bots have to say today?"

"Zuckerberg called you a dumb fuck."

"Did you know, in Kurt Vonnegut's short story Harrison Bergeron, the smart people were intelligence-handicapped by having a social media notification sound go off on their phone every couple minutes?"

"Put down your god damn phone."
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm

Plus, using social media now is just begging to have whatever you post today come back and hit you in the teeth tomorrow:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/907262
Her digital footprint is sealed. For better or worse a doctor’s digital presence is their new second presence. Our digital footprint is how people begin to understand us. And a digital footprint for so many can be unforgiving. Lara Kollab’s name for the foreseeable future will be irrevocably linked with her ideas.
Not that the substance of the tweets is at all defensible, but still. I'm glad we're all using avatars on this forum. For your own protection, keep your social media posts insubstantial and innocent.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:04 am

That’s one of the reasons why my relationship with social media is entirely read-only.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 am

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 pm
Plus, using social media now is just begging to have whatever you post today come back and hit you in the teeth tomorrow:

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/907262
Her digital footprint is sealed. For better or worse a doctor’s digital presence is their new second presence. Our digital footprint is how people begin to understand us. And a digital footprint for so many can be unforgiving. Lara Kollab’s name for the foreseeable future will be irrevocably linked with her ideas.
Not that the substance of the tweets is at all defensible, but still. I'm glad we're all using avatars on this forum. For your own protection, keep your social media posts insubstantial and innocent.
What's the quote I saw recently? "It's easier to disown your child than to disown your writing" ?