Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Instead of the nuclear doomsday clock, we need one for the USA splitting up. It's human nature to want to associate with "your own kind". I think we will split up, maybe in our lifetimes. I thought so before 2016. Now even more.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:39 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:19 pm
Instead of the nuclear doomsday clock, we need one for the USA splitting up. It's human nature to want to associate with "your own kind". I think we will split up, maybe in our lifetimes. I thought so before 2016. Now even more.
Are you talking politics or .... “race war”?
RIP Marcello Gandini
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm

Politics. And culture.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:09 am

Race war, letting the poor die...thread would be locked on Bogleheads xD (not good to suppress discussion)

We need to extend rail so housing can be built on less expensive land. With a lower cost of living we can have a lower minimum wage and therefore more jobs and GDP. All businesses could be open 24/7 for example, when you dont need to pay the night shift cashier $100/night
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am

Why do we need a minimum wage at all?

I thought we had a free-market economy. That's what the media likes to claim when it's convenient. Let market forces decide what each person's labor is worth.

I suspect, although maybe it's hard to prove, that on the whole, a minimum wage just ends up taking jobs away from low-skill people by incentivizing automation or off-shoring to countries that don't have a minimum wage anyway.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:49 am

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am
I suspect, although maybe it's hard to prove, that on the whole, a minimum wage just ends up taking jobs away from low-skill people by incentivizing automation or off-shoring to countries that don't have a minimum wage anyway.
To continue that thought: and it's more palatable to a lot of people (Democrats) to re-distribute wealth from the wealthy to the would-be proles that aren't getting those jobs (even if the WBPs want them); they don't think anyone should do them.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:51 pm

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Kbg wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:51 pm
Shortest post of 2019 so far!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 pm

I am to achieve big things this year. :)

On a more serious note, sometimes you just write stupid stuff and previously when I did that on this forum I would just delete the post. But the last couple of times I get a message saying the post can't be deleted.

Did this change or am I missing something?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:46 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 pm
I am to achieve big things this year. :)

On a more serious note, sometimes you just write stupid stuff and previously when I did that on this forum I would just delete the post. But the last couple of times I get a message saying the post can't be deleted.

Did this change or am I missing something?
I think Xan answered this in another thread, though I can't remember the details. Maybe it someone (including you) after an older post, that older post is no longer deletable? Something like that.

And for what it's worth, as soon as I posted this, I saw both the edit pencil and the delete 'x', so posts are deletable for a while.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am
Why do we need a minimum wage at all?

I thought we had a free-market economy. That's what the media likes to claim when it's convenient. Let market forces decide what each person's labor is worth.

Guess what the minimum wage is in Switzerland?

Are companies offshoring there? :P

(But of course it is well known that a higher minimum wage has exactly those effects: automation or offshoring to cheaper countries.)
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 am

No pun intended, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that one of the two first Muslim women elected to congress decided that her first public statement after being sworn in was going to be "impeach the mother*****".

Only in America.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 am

Congress is a place where some people like you, some of them hate you, some will try to help you, some will try to fuck you over. Some are noble people, some are pieces of shit. Like John Boehner said:

"We’ve got some of the smartest people in America who serve in the Congress, and we’ve got some of the dumbest. We have some of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet, and some that are Nazis. Congress is nothing more than a slice of America."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:36 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:37 am
Congress is a place where some people like you, some of them hate you, some will try to help you, some will try to fuck you over. Some are noble people, some are pieces of shit. Like John Boehner said:

"We’ve got some of the smartest people in America who serve in the Congress, and we’ve got some of the dumbest. We have some of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet, and some that are Nazis. Congress is nothing more than a slice of America."
It's a slice all right, but mostly off the bottom of the barrel.
Very few sensible or reasonably moral people want to be, or can be elected to be, Congresspersons.
There are probably a few dozen exceptions, but the majority are morally and intellectually inferior to the average person in the US.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:45 am
No pun intended, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the fact that one of the two first Muslim women elected to congress decided that her first public statement after being sworn in was going to be "impeach the mother*****".

Only in America.
After spending the entire day out and about, I read this in the news. Then I came here and your post above was the next thing I saw. :) Though it would be hypocritical for Republicans to complain, I think it’s kind of sad that she’s getting down in the gutter with him.

She ran unopposed, right?

Of course, it’s just words. Let’s see how the deeds go. (I was about to use the word ‘behavior ‘, but for that I would inevitably be found guilty of white-/man-splaining).
RIP Marcello Gandini
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:43 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 pm
Of course, it’s just words. Let’s see how the deeds go. (I was about to use the word ‘behavior ‘, but for that I would inevitably be found guilty of white-/man-splaining).
Good for you that you even knew that; I can't keep track anymore of what is acceptable to say and what isn't. Best just not to speak. :-X
For the record I support the congresswoman's right to say "impeach the mother******". As a Muslim woman however, I wonder if she has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that without having to worry about having her head chopped off. I think the other Muslim congresswoman wears the veil so I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she heard that.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:09 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:24 am
MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:43 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:07 pm
Good for you that you even knew that; I can't keep track anymore of what is acceptable to say and what isn't. Best just not to speak. :-X
For the record I support the congresswoman's right to say "impeach the mother******". As a Muslim woman however, I wonder if she has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that without having to worry about having her head chopped off.
I know the answer to that: "No".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm

I’m shocked. I had no idea JacksonM was a Muslim woman!
RIP Marcello Gandini
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm
I have only a high school education in grammar. How could I have better said what I did to indicate I was not the Muslim woman I was talking about and avoid the confusion?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:54 pm

Trump, the ultimate grammar Nazi, will have the SS visiting you soon to throw you into a caged death camp, along with all the journalists that are already rotting there.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:43 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:43 pm
dualstow wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 pm
I have only a high school education in grammar. How could I have better said what I did to indicate I was not the Muslim woman I was talking about and avoid the confusion?
Sometimes there's not really much that can be done. And just because somebody can make a joke about some wording doesn't necessarily mean your meaning was unclear. That said, it would probably be clearer to change:

"As a Muslim woman however, I wonder if she has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that without having to worry about having her head chopped off."

to

"However, I wonder if she has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that as a Muslim woman without having to worry about having her head chopped off."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm

Maybe jackson didn't play sports and thus doesn't know the proper way to deflect a ribbing. A standard "you son of a bitch" would all have been suitable. I would have gone for a "yea, my red burka says MAGA on it," but I have style.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:02 pm
Maybe jackson didn't play sports and thus doesn't know the proper way to deflect a ribbing. A standard "you son of a bitch" would all have been suitable. I would have gone for a "yea, my red burka says MAGA on it," but I have style.
Actually I preferred Xan's response because I really did want to know how to say it better and he was helpful. You son of a bitch.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:36 pm

How about this: However, I wonder if she, as a Muslim woman, has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that without having to worry about having her head chopped off.

This is fun. Let's try re-writing a whole bunch of other posts and see who can do the best job.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:36 pm
How about this: However, I wonder if she, as a Muslim woman, has any sense of appreciation for her right to say that without having to worry about having her head chopped off.

This is fun. Let's try re-writing a whole bunch of other posts and see who can do the best job.
That sounds even better. Funny thing is that when I write posts I know my writing sucks even though I think I generally get my point across and it's not too bad for someone with my limited education.

I wrote computer code for a living and was very good at it. Unlike a blog post It had to be painstakingly perfect when you hit the Submit button. Or the shit would hit the fan BIG time. (last sentence is problematic in many ways, I know already).