The Lively HSA

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Lively HSA

Post by sophie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:04 am

Wow, this is important to look into. A quick check of the website reveals two things: 1) there's a fee of $12/quarter and not clear whether this applies to individual accounts, and 2) investments are limited to a list of Fidelity funds that isn't posted yet. About the fees, there's something about the fee being waived if you have >$250K assets at Fidelity.

I think I'll wait and see what happens here before jumping in. I'm curious how Lively will respond. They benefited from giving people a better deal than HSA Bank, and they must have known it was only a matter of time before someone else came along with an even better deal.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:04 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:04 am
Wow, this is important to look into. A quick check of the website reveals two things: 1) there's a fee of $12/quarter and not clear whether this applies to individual accounts,
The fee only applies to employer-sponsored accounts:

If you have a Fidelity HSA through your employer, your account may be charged an administrative fee of up to $12 per quarter ($48 annually), unless it’s paid by your employer.

sophie wrote:
2) investments are limited to a list of Fidelity funds that isn't posted yet. About the fees, there's something about the fee being waived if you have >$250K assets at Fidelity.
There is no account minimums to avoid fees after Fidelity's recent big move when they slashed fees on index funds, removed minimum balance requirements and added 4 zero-fee funds. I spoke to a rep recently and he confirmed you can invest in pretty much anything. In this regard Fidelity HSA is similar to their regular taxable brokerage or IRA account.

The DIY option on the right links to the following page:

"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:51 pm
sophie wrote:
I'm curious how Lively will respond. They benefited from giving people a better deal than HSA Bank, and they must have known it was only a matter of time before someone else came along with an even better deal.
I did an online chat with one of Lively's reps yesterday, asking if they would waive the $2.50/month investment fee to keep my business now that Fido was offering it free (and with a better choice of commission-free offerings, IMO). Their answer was that they have no plans to drop the fee. I imagine they may be paying TDA for the privilege of hosting smaller accounts, or just see it as an easy profit center.
For some reason I thought they'd be smarter than that. But, outside of that fee I don't know how they can make money, unless they can convince TDA to pay them for managing the platform. Fidelity entering this space is a game-changer, for sure.

Thanks for the warning about the 1 year fee guys. I get to wait until next April before jumping to Fidelity.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am

LIVELY FIGHTS BACK

HSA now no-fee for individuals and families

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... Fee-Health
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:25 am

ochotona wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am
LIVELY FIGHTS BACK

HSA now no-fee for individuals and families

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... Fee-Health
Yay! Thanks ochotona! I just received an email from Lively. They surely picked the right time go give it a good publicity. I still plan to open a Fidelity HSA to funnel future contributions from my employer-based UMB account, but now I won't touch my Lively TDA account and let it ride. Of course everybody understands that Lively probably will use some of that new round of VC money to pay their expenses, let's hope they will be able to grow their employer-focused business.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am

Not at all scolding here, but it's worth noticing that the Lively exit fee kept many of you with them long enough for them to respond. In retrospect, you may be glad that fee exists, and also by staying you're rewarding them from having the fee, even if you wish they didn't.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Xan wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:44 am
Not at all scolding here, but it's worth noticing that the Lively exit fee kept many of you with them long enough for them to respond. In retrospect, you may be glad that fee exists, and also by staying you're rewarding them from having the fee, even if you wish they didn't.
Whenever I can delete a task off of my task list, that's worth money too me also.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:27 am

Smart move, Lively.

Unfortunately this doesn't remove all the fees. TDA is lacking in commission free funds, so you either pay higher expense ratios or commission fees to buy/sell. Fidelity wins on that.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am

I'm finding I really like Securities Alerts feature in TD, it's better than Schwab, way better than Fidelity. I'd miss it if I left Lively.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:47 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm
ochotona wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am
I'm finding I really like Securities Alerts feature in TD, it's better than Schwab, way better than Fidelity. I'd miss it if I left Lively.
You could always open a small taxable account to keep the alerts flowing.
Ha ha ha like with $10 in it!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 am

It looks like the Fidelity HSA is the best one right now, with no account fees and no commission fees. Well, none for the ETFs I am looking at. Any disagreement?
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:44 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:48 am
It looks like the Fidelity HSA is the best one right now, with no account fees and no commission fees. Well, none for the ETFs I am looking at. Any disagreement?
You've got it right. As much as I like Lively's customer service, the TDA stable of ETFs is definitely second-tier, and I wonder if they manage to survive.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:58 am

Actually, I still have mine at HSA Bank. I'm leery of hopping from one HSA to another because of the costs associated with it (the account closing fee at HSA Bank is $25), but I figure that Fidelity's should be around for the long haul. I can only hope they don't change their fee structure and make me want to hop again, ad nauseum.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Heaven just played a trick on me, my BP pension is leaving Fidelity! Well, still have other accounts there.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:45 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 pm
ochotona wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:25 am
You could always open a small taxable account to keep the alerts flowing.
I have a $100 cashless taxable HBPP at TD Ameritrade now, LOL.

Sophie, it looks like it will be about a month end-to-end, cash transfer. There's a way to cut a couple of days off of the wait that isn't advertised:

- Scan Fidelity's HSA transfer form, and attach it to a Secure Message. I was told they can handle it from there. No need to mail the form to Cincinnati, or travel to a Fidelity storefront

- Lively won't let you tick the "transfer all" box on the Fidelity form yet leave the account open. To them "transfer all" means close the account. They were going to close everything and cause TD Ameritrade trading fees to be levied, because I had some ETF shares that hadn't been help 30 days. At least they had the sense to contact me, and I changed the transfer to a partial amount, and TD is open for now.

It's just as well. The Fidelity ETFs are better, no gotcha fee if you trade within 30 days, and no schelpping cash between front-of-house and back-of-house. I'll be glad when Fidelity has the money. They I will rebuy my gold shares possibly at a lower price. Here's hoping.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:13 pm

I can only hope it goes more smoothly for you than it did for me.

Be warned that Lively will block the transfer multiple times asking via Fidelity for a phone call from you to "confirm", because apparently they don't think the printed, signed form is sufficient. I think I went for about 3 rounds of that on top of a whole separate set of issues with TDA. HSAs for investment purposes have been well proven as far as setting up and maintaining accounts, but not so much when it comes to actually getting your money out again! Slight problem there!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:56 am

Lively to Fidelity transfer done. Moving cash only took a month.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:46 am

Glad to hear it!

Selling out of TDA to simplify the transaction was a good move. Also, it's possible that my problem with Lively wasn't usual.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 am

I rebought my old shares at the same price so that was good
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:24 am

If Schwab buys TD Ameritrade today then Lively HSA gets thrown under the bus, because Schwab has no HSA offering... It will go from being the Lively HSA to the Dead HSA, unless Schwab begins offering HSAs.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:27 pm

TD owns Wrigley?