Another Texas thread

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Another Texas thread

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:14 pm

I was going to append the following question to the stay safe austin people thread, but didn’t want to alarm anyone.

I just want to know if it’s common to refer to your father as “Daddy” in Texas, even through adulthood. I saw ochotona do it once, and then read Lawrence Wright using it in his ‘God Save Texas’ book.

Doesn’t really warrant its own thread, but it’s too long for a signature. O0 More Texas questions to follow, I’m sure.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Another Texas thread

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Is this in reference to Daddy Longlegs or Puff Daddy or generic Daddy? ;). It’s been several decades since I lived in Texas but I do seem to remember use of Daddy to refer to ones father.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:41 pm

I think it's a Southern thing. Probably more recently, with the homogenization of the culture in big cities, more of a rural Southern thing.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:43 am

Aha, thank you.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 am

Desert wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am
Maybe related ... I had cousins who grew up in Texas, and they all ended up with a Y at the end of their name (Bobby, Johnny, etc.) And I had several Bobby's in my group when I worked in Texas.
My daughter is Audrey

My son is Alex... hmmm, Alexey would turn him into a Russian. Proof of collusion.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:17 am

ochotona wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:44 am
Desert wrote:
Maybe related ... I had cousins who grew up in Texas, and they all ended up with a Y at the end of their name (Bobby, Johnny, etc.) And I had several Bobby's in my group when I worked in Texas.
My daughter is Audrey

My son is Alex... hmmm, Alexey would turn him into a Russian. Proof of collusion.
;D ;D ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:14 am

Audrey is a great girls name. Well chosen!
gaddyslapper007

Post by gaddyslapper007 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:51 am

Texas born....still here. Only one of my friends still refers to his dad as "Daddy". We gave him shit over it in our high school / college years.

Thinking back on it......I remember my dad telling me I'm "too old to call him Daddy anymore". I would guess around age 10? maybe I don't recall exactly, but I do know we were in his truck at the time.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:48 pm

I kind of like it. I couldn’t get away with it, but I like it as a southern thing. I can picture W doing it, or maybe I even saw him (a portrayal) doing in the biopic.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Desert wrote:
My wife and all of her siblings have that same ending, suitably adjusted for gender:
Bobby
Bebe
Annie
Patty
Susie

I guess that must be a Texan thing although I have never thought about it that way before.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Has anyone read the Robert Caro series on LBJ? Good stuff (so far)
RIP Marcello Gandini