Moderator: Global Moderator

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Permanent Tooth and Gum Care Regime

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:33 pm

thisisallen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:54 pm
As we know, the Japanese eat Allota rice. Yet they have some of the longest lifelongevity in the world. How do the no fiber gurus understand that phenomenon?
Even more fun than nutrition, is logic.

Saying that something is unnecessary/not essential provides no information (good or bad) about what other affects it might have.

It's not just a layman's problem. I find logic sorely missing in a lot of white papers.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Some people do better eating few carbs and more fat, some people do better eating carbs and fewer fats. Everyone just needs to figure out which kind of people they are.
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:04 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:23 pm
thisisallen wrote:
As we know, the Japanese eat Allota rice. Yet they have some of the longest lifelongevity in the world. How do the no fiber gurus understand that phenomenon?
Do you really think steamed white rice has a lot of fiber? Carbs, yes. Fiber, no.
Ya, but carbs are supposed to be poison, according to the latest line of thought. So let's change Allen's question to "How do the no CARBS gurus understand that phenomenon?"
Thank you. :)
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm
On the subject of magnesium. . . A friend recently mentioned that she had been soaking her feet in epsom salts and finding it an effective remedy for muscle cramps in her feet. My ears perked up because I've recently been plagued with intractable foot and leg cramps at night which have been noticeably relieved by taking a cal-mag supplement (and conversely made worse when I stop the supplement). A couple of days ago, my wrist gave out in a painful way. I have no idea what happened because I was still in bed and did nothing more ambitious than pull the bedsheets up around my chin. As the day went on, the pain became worse, and by early afternoon my wrist was useless and my entire forearm was aching badly. I got to thinking: What possibly could have caused this--an entrapped nerve? Or possibly a spasm of a small muscle somewhere inside my wrist? The more I thought about it, the more I liked the muscle spasm thesis--so much that I went and bought a box of epsom salts, dissolved it in a plastic pitcher of water, and stuck my forearm in the solution for about 30 minutes. An hour or two later, the pain was entirely gone. Not scientific, I know, but one hell of a coincidence.

BTW, my friend also mentioned that soaking her feet in epsom salts (magnesium) has made her sleep much better.
I apply magnesium oil to my calves - usually at night cuz I used to get cramps in the AM. It is very effective and easy to use (rub in)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:19 pm
Some people do better eating few carbs and more fat, some people do better eating carbs and fewer fats. Everyone just needs to figure out which kind of people they are.
Indeed. My wife thrives on and prefers (taste) a diet very heavy in pasta, sweets, bread and potatoes. I thrive on and prefer (taste) a diet very heavy in meat, chicken, fish, eggs, bacon, sausage, whole milk and green veggies. Our doctor tells both of us to keep on doing whatever it is we are doing. Bloodwork and physical metrics are all okay for people our age ;) .
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:43 pm

thisisallen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:27 pm
Maddy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm
On the subject of magnesium. . . A friend recently mentioned that she had been soaking her feet in epsom salts and finding it an effective remedy for muscle cramps in her feet. My ears perked up because I've recently been plagued with intractable foot and leg cramps at night which have been noticeably relieved by taking a cal-mag supplement (and conversely made worse when I stop the supplement). A couple of days ago, my wrist gave out in a painful way. I have no idea what happened because I was still in bed and did nothing more ambitious than pull the bedsheets up around my chin. As the day went on, the pain became worse, and by early afternoon my wrist was useless and my entire forearm was aching badly. I got to thinking: What possibly could have caused this--an entrapped nerve? Or possibly a spasm of a small muscle somewhere inside my wrist? The more I thought about it, the more I liked the muscle spasm thesis--so much that I went and bought a box of epsom salts, dissolved it in a plastic pitcher of water, and stuck my forearm in the solution for about 30 minutes. An hour or two later, the pain was entirely gone. Not scientific, I know, but one hell of a coincidence.

BTW, my friend also mentioned that soaking her feet in epsom salts (magnesium) has made her sleep much better.
I apply magnesium oil to my calves - usually at night cuz I used to get cramps in the AM. It is very effective and easy to use (rub in)
Does anyone know factually whether either epsom salts or magnesium oil penetrate skin to any significant measure? I remember from my long ago chemistry days that the solvent DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide) was sometimes used to help drugs penetrate skin because skin is usually relatively impervious to most chemicals. I have no idea what current reliable research indicates; I looked on the internet but got a feeling of "selling snake oil" on several of the sites.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm

thisisallen wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:23 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Do you really think steamed white rice has a lot of fiber? Carbs, yes. Fiber, no.
Ya, but carbs are supposed to be poison, according to the latest line of thought. So let's change Allen's question to "How do the no CARBS gurus understand that phenomenon?"
Thank you. :)
No doubt there is variability. My wife is Chinese and at 51 can still eat anything and not gain weight, and good blood work. She gets it from her dad. Her mom is also Chinese and polar opposite. Overweight and diabetic.

But it is pretty clear at least some types of carbs, probably the higher processed ones are causing great issues in many cultures as they become westernized (like Aborigines) who used to be fit but are now obese and in poor health.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm

Two questions for the dentists and dental enthusiasts here:
  • Despite brushing just once a day and almost never flossing, I had no cavities whatsoever for the first 38 years of my life. Then, within the past year I've gotten six cavities filled (four of them in between my upper teeth, in the flossing area). I floss every day now that I've been scared straight. I did recently change dentists last year when I moved. Is my current dentist probably just a lot more zealous than my previous ones, or is there an age-related component to cavity formation?
  • Is there a certain type of mouthwash that's clinically proven to be most effective? (For example, Listerine has alcohol but no fluoride, some other mouthwashes have no alcohol but do have fluoride, etc.)
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:15 pm
Two questions for the dentists and dental enthusiasts here:
  • Despite brushing just once a day and almost never flossing, I had no cavities whatsoever for the first 38 years of my life. Then, within the past year I've gotten six cavities filled (four of them in between my upper teeth, in the flossing area). I floss every day now that I've been scared straight. I did recently change dentists last year when I moved. Is my current dentist probably just a lot more zealous than my previous ones, or is there an age-related component to cavity formation?
    [MangoMan] Quite possibly the new guy is too aggressive. If you went 38 years with no cavities, and all of a sudden have 6, I would have suggested a second opinion prior to the drilling. Was there any change in your diet or medications?
    [Tortoise] No change in my diet, and I don't take any medications. Okay, then it sounds like the new dentist (a young guy who just started his own practice last year) is probably just more zealous than my previous ones. But I do like him; he seems thorough and competent. Maybe going forward I'll just ask for a second opinion if he suggests any more fillings.
  • Is there a certain type of mouthwash that's clinically proven to be most effective? (For example, Listerine has alcohol but no fluoride, some other mouthwashes have no alcohol but do have fluoride, etc.)
    [MangoMan] Listerine is my recommended OTC mouthwash. If the alcohol is an issue, they have a newer version that is alcohol-free that they claim is just as effective. I personally buy the regular green variety, and the store brand generic saves a bundle. Rx chlorhexidine can be helpful for people with more severe gingivitis.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:40 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
thisisallen wrote:
They are poison. At least to me. I believe they're poison for millions of people.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:41 am
Pug may question this, but as a 6 month experiment I have been brushing exclusively with Xylitol.

I am about 3 months in. There is no doubt that I have less plaque buildup and I have had zero gum issues. In the past, certainly every few weeks I'd have some level of gum irritation here or there for whatever reason, none since starting Xylitol.

You can search for how it works. And I'll give an update after my next checkup.

I'd also like to ask Pug, toothpaste is all marketing for the most part, right? If I look at "active" ingredients, it is mainly either Sodium Fluoride or Stannous Fluoride, and if I have one really expensive "Helps prevent bleeding gums" toothpaste with one vs. a cheaper alternative with the same active ingredient, they are basically the same?
Just got back from my latest visit after 6 months of nearly exclusive Xylitol brushing.

--Dentist rolled her eyes when I told her what I did
--No cavities
--Gum probing numbers seemed better than last time, a lot of 1s and 2s

Overall, I think I had a lot less intermittent gum problems strictly using Xylitol. She told me I should split the difference, brush once a day with fluoride, once with Xylitol. I can live with that.

So my teeth didn't fall out and my gums seem healthier. I would say it was at least on par if not slightly better than fluoride toothpaste for me, for a short time period.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm

on the topic of dentistry..
I have a couple cracked filling/teeth that need to be repaired right now and I am starting to get the feeling I have been sucked into a permanent patient plan, I was bad/neglectful with my teeth for a lot of years in my youth, and over a period of time in the last decade I got everything fixed, but now I am starting to have the work that was done as little as 5 or so years ago fall apart on me, they seem to have filled my mouth with planned obsolescence, I have had decent gums, strong teeth and no cavities since I finished getting caught up from the youthful neglect, and yet I am needing to get dental work done every year now as as the previous work breaks down... any good dental tips on what to ask for, watch for, or recommendations on getting work done that wont be breaking down at such a fast rate that a person with basically healthy teeth keeps needing constant yearly dental work done?
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:28 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:12 pm
l82start wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:20 pm
on the topic of dentistry..
I have a couple cracked filling/teeth that need to be repaired right now and I am starting to get the feeling I have been sucked into a permanent patient plan, I was bad/neglectful with my teeth for a lot of years in my youth, and over a period of time in the last decade I got everything fixed, but now I am starting to have the work that was done as little as 5 or so years ago fall apart on me, they seem to have filled my mouth with planned obsolescence, I have had decent gums, strong teeth and no cavities since I finished getting caught up from the youthful neglect, and yet I am needing to get dental work done every year now as as the previous work breaks down... any good dental tips on what to ask for, watch for, or recommendations on getting work done that wont be breaking down at such a fast rate that a person with basically healthy teeth keeps needing constant yearly dental work done?
Define "previous work breaks down": Are fillings cracking? Recurrent decay around margins? Porcelain fracturing off of crowns?
fillings cracking and fractured crowns, I believe I am at three fillings and one crown so far (counting the two I am about to get fixed which I don’t have full details on yet)
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Question, please.

I just had my 3rd crown installed today. Apparently, nice work like the others done up in New York. I did ask today if the 4th molar was susceptible and would I eventually need a crown- a matching set!! I asked, after all, as these molars had/ have "bomb crater" fillings from 60 years of Pepsi, Coke, M&Ms, Wonka Bars, etc., so I thought the question was reasonable. I am 63.5 years of age.

The dentist said the last molar has some stress fractures and that it could need a crown. No x-ray was taken as I asked at the conclusion of my visit. He said a crown would make the tooth stronger.

Should I get the crown done as a preemptive measure. It does sound like an approach different from my New York dentist whom I have been seeing for 32 years.

Thanks.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 pm

Pug,

Thanks. I've read your many responses and was hoping you give an insightful reply.

It's great to have made your acquaintance.

And I may have 35+ years to go.

Cheers.
blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blackomen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:15 am

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm
I had not previously heard of Novamin. Googling it, I found an NIH paper that states that the substance has promise as an anti cavity agent, perhaps superior to fluoride.

I assure you that the ADA and or other dental groups are not trying to prevent its use unless they feel it is unsafe for some reason. We as dentists are always trying to put ourselves out of business in the interest of public health, in spite of what the public believes.

Depending on what issue you are trying to solve with toothpaste, it's unlikely to be a panacea. Many of the formulations, particularly regarding whitening are mostly marketing. Some incarnations have shown promise in other areas. For instance, Pronamel has been shown to reminerailze enamel, but if you sip Coke all day and brush with it only once a week, you will likely still get cavities. Etc. Etc. Xylitol has also shown to be effective.

The best advice I can give you all is brush, floss, Listerine and see your dentist twice a year. Don't ignore small problems as they will become large ones with time.

edit: for spelling and typos that make me regret using a tablet instead of a keyboard
Here's a recent viral article on Novamin: https://elemental.medium.com/why-is-the ... 3dda060501
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed May 01, 2019 1:01 am

I eat once a day, that reduces wear. And nothing tough like meats. After a few years of this, if I eat an early meal, i get very tired
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Wed May 01, 2019 2:27 pm

Wow. Look at page one of this thread. Where have all of those great posters gone?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu May 02, 2019 2:15 am

Enjoying life, thats the point of the PP :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:16 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:25 pm
At first glance this regime (inspired by a book that goes into the nitty gritty scientific details, Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye) doesn't appear to be anything radical, but each step is amazingly interdependent on each other step -- even negative side effects -- just like the PP!  Mess with it at your own peril. :D

STEP ONE: Use the RediBreeze, QuickBreeze or ShowerBreeze (or a WaterPik, etc. but will be inferior in power) to floss your teeth.

STEP TWO: Use a tongue scraper to scrape the gunk coating off of your tongue.  Don't overdo it or press down too hard; I use about six double swipes until the scraper comes off clean (you want to use running water to rinse it off in-between swipes).

STEP THREE: Use unflavored CloSYS that kills 99% of bacteria in the mouth (even anthrax!) and also highly alkalizes the mouth to protect it from enamal damage and erosion from the tooth brushing in the next step.  CloSYS has a proprietary wetting agent that allows it to slip under the gumline (but allegedly no deeper then 3mm).  Acidic enamal is very prone to damage.  Swish for 1 minute and not one second longer.  SPIT BUT DO NOT RINSE MOUTH OUT WITH WATER.  If you cannot handle using CloSYS twice a day because it negatively affects your sense of taste and/or gives you a funny metallic taste in your mouth, then use warm salt water (1 tsp per cup) in the morning and the CloSYS at night.

STEP FOUR: Use a pea size of a very specific, plain jane, Crest Cavity Protection Fluoride Anticavity Regular Toothpaste that has the unique ability to remineralize the teeth due to the ingredients and contains the only effective as well as natural version of the several forms of flouride commercially available.  The SLS is also bound up so it is not an issue.  This means none of the non-ADA approved marketing fiction gimmicks like tartar control, whitening, baking soda, etc. that just damage the teeth, erode the pellicle layer or inhibit remineralization as glycerine does (very common ingredient in natural toothpastes).  The toothpaste also coats the teeth to protect it from the acidic next step.  Brush for two minutes.  SPIT BUT DO NOT RINSE MOUTH OUT WITH WATER.  I recommed using an Emmident if you have dental implants as it can kill the bugs deep below the gumline.  Otherwise, use the best electronic toothbrush.

STEP FIVE: Use Listerine Original Antiseptic (not the other non-ADA versions) to kill off immature plaque bacteria.  You can use other flavors of Listerine Antispetic than the Original, but they will not whiten the teeth as well.  Listerine is quite acidifying (I confirmed with pH testing), so if this was your last step after brushing as is traditional, you are literally leaving acid on your teeth all night long in low saliva conditions.  Listerine ought to be criminalized, but its all about making a perpetual buck for dentists and manufacturers.  You can use as much cold water as you need to dilute this step so its tolerable and I recommend always doing so because the continual burning from the alcohol (necessary for the active essential oils to work) may degrade your taste buds.  Swish for one minute, then tilt your head back and deep throat gargle for 30 seconds.  SPIT BUT DO NOT RINSE MOUTH OUT WITH WATER.  It is acceptable to use Walmart's Equate Original Flavor Antiseptic Mouthrinse to save money.  I find the white cap a heck of alot easier to measure out the dose than Listerine's black cap.

STEP SIX: Use ACT Anticavity Rinse (not the other non-ADA approved versions) which neutralizes the acid from the previous step and raises the pH of your mouth back to alkaline.  The .05% flouride (18oz bottle) for remineralization is taken up 6x better when the teeth are acid and over time this process will actually harden (lower) the teeth's sensitivity to acid attack.  This step will also increase the flow of saliva to offset the mouth-drying effect of the alcohol in Listerine.  The more acid in the mouth, the better remineralization works, so ACT Anticavity wouldn't work very well being the last step after brushing when the mouth is already alkaline from toothapste.  Swish for one minute and not a second longer.  DO NOT RINSE MOUTH OUT WITH WATER.  The kids flavored versions of ACT Anticavity are okay to use and so is Walmart's Equate Anti-Cavity Mint Flavor Fluoride Rinse, but they are not as clingy as the mint ACT Anticavity.

OPTIONAL STEP SEVEN: Ideally, 30 minutes later and only once a day (I suggest in the morning), repopulate your oral microbiome with beneficial probiotics.  I recommend specific strains that break down plaque and reduce tooth decay, such as FlorAssist Oral Hygiene.

OPTIONAL STEP EIGHT: Another major boost in effectiveness can come from sucking on xlitol mints or chewing gum as an after meal dessert.  The bugs take up xylitol like any sugar, but because xylitol has one less carbon ring, they literally starve to death and out they go next time you do the rinses/brushing.  Xylitol alone reduces tooth decay by 80%-90%.  That's how good it is.

This twice-a-day regime in 7 minutes or so will completely eliminate dragon/morning breath and whiten teeth when followed exactly.  I've found a crucial step is to deep throat gargle with Listerine after doing the teeth.  Seems like odors still emanate from there if not cleansed.  It will also eliminate plaque, gingivitis and periodontal disease if you are diligent and fortunate.  You may not even need to have any scraping done at your next cleaning as some testimonials indicate!  And be sure to always tilt your head back when swishing so you reach the back molars.
Seeing this topic for the first time. Just bought the book used on Amazon for under $6.00 delivered.

My dentist already has me using the Listerine PRIOR to brushing and using on a pea sized (his exact words) amount of Colgate on my toothbrushes.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Gosso wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:27 am
Perfect timing!  I just started this regime last week, after Gumby mentioned this in another thread a few months back.

Although I am not using the pre-brush rinse since I couldn't find the stuff at the store; instead I apply toothpaste very gently and allow it to sit for 30 seconds, then start brushing.  I'm planning on picking up some xylitol after work...if I can find it.

I still floss everyday since it can only help as long as the proper technique is used.

I haven't been doing this long enough to notice any major changes, but I have noticed that my mouth feels a lot cleaner when I wake up in the morning.

I also found this article on the Colgate website (of all places!) that suggests that we are better off to allow early tooth decay to heal, rather than drill and fill it in.
So early decay doesn't always mean you need a filling. In fact, the decay often can be reversed. A tooth starts to decay because acid in your mouth causes minerals to leach out of the enamel, and the enamel breaks down. Fluoride therapy, dietary changes and better oral hygiene habits can reverse this process by causing minerals to build up in the tooth again, making the enamel stronger.

In some cases, a filling is a no-brainer. If you're in pain or have an obvious cavity (a break in the surface of your tooth), you need a filling. But, says Dr. Albert, "If there's no cavity and no pain, the tooth can fix itself.

"If I saw 100 patients [who had early decay] and decided to wait six months before treating them, it would be the right decision for 95 of them. I think we do more harm by overtreating, because there will always be complications of treatment," he says.
Thank you for this. It explains a 45 year old personal mystery to me. When I first went to my dentist 45 years ago I had 29 sides of cavities. He went to work on taking care of the ones that needed immediate attention and from then and continuing now I've been super conscientious regarding tooth care. When I asked him why all those cavities did not need to be dealt with he said I'd arrested their development by my new tooth care regime and that many of them were tiny. It was not until now from reading the above did I know that many of those cavities had healed.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 pm

williswine wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:38 am
Peelu USA (no affiliation) sells dental fibers made from the same tree as that chewing stick. I have been using http://peelu.com/dental-fibers/spearmint-25-oz/ for years now and my dental hygienist is always amazed at how little plaque I have. I don't really like the taste of it but it leaves my mouth and teeth so clean and it does not leave a toothpaste after taste that sometimes affects my sleep. Added bonus is that it is not a liquid so travels really easy. Oh, and it lasts a long long time (just like my crystal deodorant stick).

I'm however wondering if the system mentioned in the first post wouldn't do an even better job even though it certainly costs a lot more and has many more chemicals involved.  Wonder what Dr Ellie would say, maybe don't change a thing!
Link does not work. And, peelu seems to no longer exist? With the endorsement above, I was going to buy some!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:20 pm
I had not previously heard of Novamin. Googling it, I found an NIH paper that states that the substance has promise as an anti cavity agent, perhaps superior to fluoride.

I assure you that the ADA and or other dental groups are not trying to prevent its use unless they feel it is unsafe for some reason. We as dentists are always trying to put ourselves out of business in the interest of public health, in spite of what the public believes.

Depending on what issue you are trying to solve with toothpaste, it's unlikely to be a panacea. Many of the formulations, particularly regarding whitening are mostly marketing. Some incarnations have shown promise in other areas. For instance, Pronamel has been shown to reminerailze enamel, but if you sip Coke all day and brush with it only once a week, you will likely still get cavities. Etc. Etc. Xylitol has also shown to be effective.

The best advice I can give you all is brush, floss, Listerine and see your dentist twice a year. Don't ignore small problems as they will become large ones with time.

edit: for spelling and typos that make me regret using a tablet instead of a keyboard
I don't think I have to tell YOU this....but I can assure you that Americans will NEVER put dentists out of business! The only way it will happen is if there are some radical advances in either medical or technology that require Americans to exert no effort on their parts!

Vinny
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:33 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 pm

I don't think I have to tell YOU this....but I can assure you that Americans will NEVER put dentists out of business! The only way it will happen is if there are some radical advances in either medical or technology that require Americans to exert no effort on their parts!

Vinny
Americans will not put us out of business, but that won't be necessary bc we are working hard to put ourselves out of business. There will probably eventually be a 'cure' for tooth decay and gum disease (not in my career, but maybe my son's), and the schools are working diligently to crank out way more graduates than are necessary for the need in urban areas without requiring service in underserved areas. And don't even get me started on how insurance companies and idiotic government regulations are ruining the profitability of what little business remains.
Interesting perspective. Pugchief, what exactly is on the horizon as a 100% preventative for tooth decay and gum disease? That is guaranteed to have no side effects? You see where I'm going with this...I think your profession is safe.

Of course, you'll have to be willing to work harder for less money due to increased administrative burdens brought on by government policies instituted during the Obama presidency. Welcome to our world (i.e. that of medical doctors).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 am

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:33 am
vnatale wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:40 pm

Vinny
Americans will not put us out of business, but that won't be necessary bc we are working hard to put ourselves out of business. There will probably eventually be a 'cure' for tooth decay and gum disease (not in my career, but maybe my son's), and the schools are working diligently to crank out way more graduates than are necessary for the need in urban areas without requiring service in underserved areas. And don't even get me started on how insurance companies and idiotic government regulations are ruining the profitability of what little business remains.
What percentage of your patients have insurance?

I think it was for only one year of my life that I had dental insurance. Otherwise it'd been me paying full price. I guess I'm paying for a lot of the people who do have insurance pay their bills? Same for my eye doctor visits. Have never had any insurance to cover them.

Vinny