google this: Water Wars of Arizona

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

google this: Water Wars of Arizona

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't have a subscription either, but you can read a few articles a month.
google

Code: Select all

water wars arizona site:nytimes.com
for a good read.

I know at least one person on this forum has said he can't imagine why anyone would live in a state with personal income tax.
Well..there are other variables. O0
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: google this: Water Wars of Arizona

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Having lived in the rural mountains of Pennsylvania, Craig and Lori were both familiar with wells; they picked the house on East Hopi for its sweeping views eastward to the Chiricahua Mountains but also for the solitude that came with owning a remote piece of property, which was only possible so long as they had their own source of water.
The whole article, but that quote in particular, made me think of Cadillac Desert. And The Water Knife.
Confronted by the desert, the first thing Americans want to do is change it. People say that they "love" the desert, but few of them love it enough to live there. I mean in the real desert, not in a make-believe city like Phoenix with exotic palms and golf-course lawns and a five-hundred-foot fountain and an artificial surf. Most people "love" the desert by driving through it in air-conditioned cars, "experiencing" its grandeur. That may be some kind of experience, but it is living in a fool's paradise.

To really experience the desert you have to march right into its white bowl of sky and shape-contouring heat with your mind on your canteen as if it were your last gallon of gas and you were being chased by a carload of escaped murders. You have to imagine what it would be like to drink blood from a lizard, or, in the grip of dementia, claw bare-handed through sand and rock for the vestigial moisture beneath a dry wash.

- Cadillac Desert
Arizona also benefited from the federal government putting in dams then basically giving them water for free. I see how they'd be pissed the Arabs bought up a ton of land to grow plants to ship back to the Middle East, but I do recall some kind of proposal to build giant pipelines to send water from the midwest to the southwest. Not to mention when they actually did that, in California. But yes, definitely factors outside of taxes.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:02 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 pm
Having lived in the rural mountains of Pennsylvania, Craig and Lori were both familiar with wells; they picked the house on East Hopi for its sweeping views eastward to the Chiricahua Mountains but also for the solitude that came with owning a remote piece of property, which was only possible so long as they had their own source of water.
The whole article, but that quote in particular, made me think of Cadillac Desert. And The Water Knife.
Confronted by the desert, the first thing Americans want to do is change it.
< snip >

- Cadillac Desert
<snip>
Good insight! I had never heard of Cadillac Desert. It's got a wiki page, though.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:51 pm

If you haven't read either, I'd suggest reading The Water Knife, then Cadillac Desert. But definitely read both.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Fascinating. A cautionary warning about where we are heading.