The hazards of index funds

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

The hazards of index funds

Post by sophie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 am

Very interesting article on the effect of passive indexing on the markets! I had been wondering about some of this myself which is why I decided to start collecting individual stocks for the "deep" 1/3 of my stock allocation.

On the other hand, there's nothing here to say that overall performance of indexes will suffer over time, just that it might be a lot bumpier ride than you might otherwise expect: outperformance when the overall market is doing well, and underperformance when it's not.
The most well-known indexes are weighted based on the size -- i.e., the market capitalization -- of the companies within. That includes the most commonly tracked index, the S&P 500, which is essentially a collection of the 500 largest publicly traded U.S. companies as measured by market cap (some exceptions apply). The largest companies, then, receive the most investment when money flows into passive investments.

That money acts like water on the pumpkin patch. Every time money flows from active to passive management, it's as though water is flowing to the biggest pumpkins (i.e., holdings) by virtue of their size. And then, as a consequence of the new money, the big get bigger.

If this sounds peculiar, or even illogical, that's because it is. But it's how passive indexing works...
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/ ... ubble.aspx
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The hazards of index funds

Post by Xan » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 am

I've taken to doing Total Stock Market funds. I've also been wondering about weightings other than market cap, but funds like that seem to have much higher expenses.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:03 am

I have been looking at Research Affiliates Fundamental Index (RAFI) weighted funds, which are at Schwab as house brand ETFs using the "FN" as the first two letters of the symbol... but they don't seem to outperform. Maybe something to try in the next stock market cycle. Another one to monitor is RSP, the equal-weight S&P500 ETF.

I think right now everyone is just piling into the Big Names in the stock market, of course much of which is due to cap-weighted indexing itself, but this may end in tears someday. In the aftermath, the fundamental factors tracked by the RAFI ETFs may be more effective. They should be more effective, but for now they are being drowned out by stupid.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Value has done poorly in recent years, meaning it could do well in the future.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:49 am
I've taken to doing Total Stock Market funds. I've also been wondering about weightings other than market cap, but funds like that seem to have much higher expenses.
One thing to like about GB with it's SCV tilt.

Of course, SCG has done better recently. Could just add Small or mid index in place of SCV -- any diversifies away from huge growth stocks......
Last edited by Dieter on Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:05 am

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=252434

A problem with "everyone indexing" might be panic. I dont know what companies I own. Stock pickers who research fundamentals might be less likely to panic sell compared to Joe six-pack. Or, maybe not...traders gotta trade.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:39 am

I am moving my 401(k) to the actively managed PRIMECAP Odyssey Aggressive Growth fund. I noticed it has outperformed the S&P500 but the drawdown in last recession was less than the S&P500. Nice combo! Someone was steering it.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 am

Yup. PPNGOFP! I just want to di-worse-ify my equities away from SP500
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:32 am

If you're interested in factors and looking to diversify away from the capitalization-based market as a whole, I'd recommend reading this book by Larry Swedroe. It will help you understand each of the major factors, how they work, and just how dependable they are so you're not swinging in the dark at whatever sounds compelling at the time.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 pm

Xan wrote:
+1 on Total Market.

I started doing that late considering I’ve been preaching it forever, but my Tot Mkt is finally starting to catch up with my midcap, smallcap, and s & p.

I feel very comfortable with VTSAX. No churn or unnecessary distributions. If it crashes it’s a sale, not a falling knife.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:49 pm
Xan wrote:
+1 on Total Market.

I started doing that late considering I’ve been preaching it forever, but my Tot Mkt is finally starting to catch up with my midcap, smallcap, and s & p.

I feel very comfortable with VTSAX. No churn or unnecessary distributions. If it crashes it’s a sale, not a falling knife.
VTSAX is 0.93% microcap, 5.54% small cap, 17.61% mid cap, 75.92% large and giant cap.

If I turn my Roth IRA into a small cap account, my 401(k) into a mid cap account, and leave Traditional IRAs alone, then I arrive approximately at VTSAX. The problem is balkanization across different plans, and not all of them offer small and mid cap offerings... someday everything will be in one place, and much simpler to manage.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm

Do they all offer VTSAX?
ochotona wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm
VTSAX is 0.93% microcap, 5.54% small cap, 17.61% mid cap, 75.92% large and giant cap.

If I turn my Roth IRA into a small cap account...
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:35 pm
Do they all offer VTSAX?
ochotona wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:57 pm

If I turn my Roth IRA into a small cap account...
Not at all. The 401k is the problem. I have to split things up