Top VPN

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Marlb10
Associate Member
Associate Member

Top VPN

Post by Marlb10 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:31 am

Hey fellas I am sure a few of you might have used a vpn for streaming or privacy related concern. I am currently looking for one for my Mac system and the streaming devices I have (Apple TV, Kodi and Raspberry Pie). I want recommendation of a Top VPN
I have one option already suggested to me by my friend but it be good for me to have at least a handful of selection.

TIA, do put your suggestions.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Top VPN

Post by boglerdude » Fri May 11, 2018 2:05 am

I use privateinternetaccess for torrents after getting a threat from Spectrum
europeanwizard
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by europeanwizard » Fri May 11, 2018 2:58 am

Be sure to configure the SOCKS proxy for your torrent client. If you don't, and the VPN unexpectedly drops connection, the torrent client will continue and your IP will be visible once more.

If however your VPN provider offers a SOCKS proxy, it offers an extra level of protection. Privateinternetaccess offers this.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri May 11, 2018 6:24 am

I have just started to use proton VPN, I am not sure it rates as a "top" VPN but I ended up with it because I wanted a better email provider, and proton is a very clean, ad free, and potentially encrypted ..non Microsoft, google, yahoo, email service that (unlike the latter) respects privacy.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 am

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am
The Opera browser has a free VPN built in that can be turned on/off. It will not work for torrents, and if you are trying to fake your location to use services blocked in your country, I don't know if it will work or not so Google it.

For paid services, Shade You VPN is the cheapest out there but works great. If the tunnel is lost, all traffic is blocked so no separate SOCKS configuration is necessary.
Dentist knows his tech! ;)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 am

I use Nord, mainly on my iPhone when on an unsecured public WiFi network. I rarely use it on my home network. I also sometimes use ProtonMail but have not tried their VPN service as I already had purchased Nord when I noticed that Proton had a VPN service.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Have you seen this article?
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/

Spoiler: they pick IVPN
“IVPN excels at trust and transparency, the most important factors when you’re choosing a virtual private network. The company publicly displays information about its leadership team so you know who you’re trusting with your online activity. After interviewing IVPN’s CEO about the company’s internal procedures, we’re convinced that the team is dedicated to its promises not to monitor or log customer activity. But a trustworthy VPN is only as good as its connections, and in our tests IVPN was stable and fast, with very few exceptions. IVPN defaults to secure connections with the OpenVPN protocol on Windows, macOS, and Android, plus a few other platforms. Its apps are easy to set up and use, and they’re secure even if you use the default settings. (We don’t recommend any VPN service’s native app for iOS, but IVPN has options for Apple devices, too.) And you can make IVPN even better with two clicks: one to enable IVPN’s “firewall,” a kill switch to stop traffic when you aren’t protected, and one to auto-connect IVPN when you’re joining unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Even though IVPN is more expensive than some competitors, we found it to be worth the price for its combination of trust, security, and usability.“
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Sun May 13, 2018 11:13 am

I'm kind of considering this

https://disconnect.me/offer

It's not the best due to its location(s). I see it as more of a hint to your ISP that you value privacy, rather than something keep the feds out... but $49 for life!
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:19 pm
thisisallen wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:15 pm
Have you seen this article?
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-vpn-service/

Spoiler: they pick IVPN
“IVPN excels at trust and transparency, the most important factors when you’re choosing a virtual private network. The company publicly displays information about its leadership team so you know who you’re trusting with your online activity. After interviewing IVPN’s CEO about the company’s internal procedures, we’re convinced that the team is dedicated to its promises not to monitor or log customer activity. But a trustworthy VPN is only as good as its connections, and in our tests IVPN was stable and fast, with very few exceptions. IVPN defaults to secure connections with the OpenVPN protocol on Windows, macOS, and Android, plus a few other platforms. Its apps are easy to set up and use, and they’re secure even if you use the default settings. (We don’t recommend any VPN service’s native app for iOS, but IVPN has options for Apple devices, too.) And you can make IVPN even better with two clicks: one to enable IVPN’s “firewall,” a kill switch to stop traffic when you aren’t protected, and one to auto-connect IVPN when you’re joining unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Even though IVPN is more expensive than some competitors, we found it to be worth the price for its combination of trust, security, and usability.“
I know nothing about IVPN or thewirecutter; I will just say that many of these review sites are not as unbiased as they appear. Do a search on this forum for "mattress" and you will see what I mean.
Your point is well taken. However this article gave a lot of background info and the exact criteria they used to make their decision. So I found it very helpful.
New York Times is the parent company of wirecutter.com, if that helps -or hurts. :)
blue_ruin17
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blue_ruin17 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am

Check out That One Privacy Site. It features what is easily the most comprehensive comparative list of VPNs on the internet.

His most highly recommended VPN is Mullvad.

I personally use AirVPN because it is faster in my region than Mullvad but has a similiarly excellent reputation for privacy and security. I've been a paying customer for years, and I'll be renewing my annual subscription once more next month.

This is a pretty good comparison of your options here as well.
STAT PERPETUS PORTFOLIO DUM VOLVITUR ORBIS

Amazon: Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of the Permanent Portfolio
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:56 am

Five years later ... time to resurrect this topic.

What are your current recommendations on VPN?

I started using IPVanish many years ago based upon a recommendation. But I stopped using it because certain things were not working when it was on (Netflix?).

I started it again yesterday and could not seem to connect to Amazon with it being on.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:05 am

blue_ruin17 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am

Check out That One Privacy Site. It features what is easily the most comprehensive comparative list of VPNs on the internet.

His most highly recommended VPN is Mullvad.

I personally use AirVPN because it is faster in my region than Mullvad but has a similiarly excellent reputation for privacy and security. I've been a paying customer for years, and I'll be renewing my annual subscription once more next month.

This is a pretty good comparison of your options here as well.

Just went to the first URL in the first sentence above.

It has been updated to 2023 and quite comprehensive.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:19 pm

I have used Nord for several years. I am happy with it. I briefly tried Proton (free) for a while before renewing Nord but decided the paid Nord VPN was overall higher value to me, although I would say try Proton. It might meet your needs.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.