Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

20 Years Old Hits the Mega Millions

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:23 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... a6640b381f

The kid sounds like he has his head screwed on more or less right. Apparently he hired a lawyer and got some professional help. I just hope his new found high priced friends aren't steering him into a bunch of crazy investment schemes. See also here

http://www.tampabay.com/news/Lawyer-cha ... _164483706

and here

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... G2drsuJRaI

In fairness though, I can't even imagine what I would have done if I had come into that kind of money at age 20.
sweetbthescrivener

Re: 20 Years Old Hits the Mega Millions

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:00 pm

Would you advise him to put it all in the Permanent Portfolio? Just jump in?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:12 pm

sweetbthescrivener wrote:Would you advise him to put it all in the Permanent Portfolio? Just jump in?
With that kind of money, probably not. He can afford to be a bit more aggressive. But I'd still suggest sticking to index funds, at least for the stock part of the portfolio. Maybe 10% each in cash and gold and the rest split between bonds and a couple of stock market index funds. And this may be one of the few times I would actually consider using a low cost municipal bond fund. I did some quick math and I think the kid is likely to walk away with about $177 million and change after paying the income tax (37% thanks to Mr. Trump). Florida has no state income tax.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:14 pm

sweetbthescrivener wrote:Would you advise him to put it all in the Permanent Portfolio? Just jump in?

I sure would. I might tell him to tweak it slightly by increasing the cash amount, so maybe 20% Gold, 20% stocks 20% LTT and 40% cash. Real growth to his portfolio is pointless (in my humble opinion). As long as he can pace inflation and pay for withdrawals/taxes, your family is set for generations to come.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:20 pm

The lump-sum payout after taxes netted him $211mm. Divide that by four for the Permanent Portfolio. At today's spot price for gold, he'll get to purchase over 39,000 1oz gold coins.

Works for me!

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:36 pm

Tyler wrote:The lump-sum payout after taxes netted him $211mm. Divide that by four for the Permanent Portfolio. At today's spot price for gold, he'll get to purchase over 39,000 1oz gold coins.

Works for me!
That's based on the mandatory tax withholding. The actual Federal Income tax is going to be around 37%. And with that kind of money I'd consider only buying a thousand coins, and the rest in bars. Bars typically deliver more gold for the buck.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:30 pm

If one were buried up to one's neck in 1-oz gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, I wonder how hard it would be to move. Or breathe.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 am

Tortoise wrote:If one were buried up to one's neck in 1-oz gold coins like Scrooge McDuck, I wonder how hard it would be to move. Or breathe.
I predict it would be a big hit among altitude-mask-wearing bros I see all the time at the gym.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:56 am

For practicality's sake, I would probably have no more than $1m in physical gold and use ETF's for the rest. I would also have no problem replacing half of the "gold portion" with REIT's and/or NNN properties.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Fun to dream, isn’t it. I’d be setting up safe deposit boxes near trusted relatives.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm

He's going to become suddenly MUCH more attractive to a LOT of women.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Tyler wrote:The lump-sum payout after taxes netted him $211mm. Divide that by four for the Permanent Portfolio. At today's spot price for gold, he'll get to purchase over 39,000 1oz gold coins.

Works for me!
That's based on the mandatory tax withholding. The actual Federal Income tax is going to be around 37%. And with that kind of money I'd consider only buying a thousand coins, and the rest in bars. Bars typically deliver more gold for the buck.
What he should really do is get a dealer account at a big wholesaler. That will lower the spread on kilo bars to about 1/2%.

For some reason the coin spreads are a lot higher than usual right now. Maybe because the US market isn't open?