Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

U.S. life expectancy falls for second straight year — as drug overdoses soar

Post by farjean2 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:42 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ameri ... es-n831676

Really bad news if you were born last year. Because of heroin....
Overall life expectancy for a baby born in 2016 fell to 78.6 years, a small decline of 0.1 percent, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) team found. At the same time, mortality from drug overdoses rose by 21 percent.
But it's not all bad news (I think).....
“The new report shows the decline in life expectancy occurred despite an overall decline in U.S. mortality,” the statement added.
This article makes my head hurt but the obvious conclusion is that we need to increase government expenditures in the war on drugs or else those 1 year old babies are at risk.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: U.S. life expectancy falls for second straight year — as drug overdoses soar

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:49 pm

farjean2 wrote:https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ameri ... es-n831676

Overall life expectancy for a baby born in 2016 fell to 78.6 years, a small decline of 0.1 percent, the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) team found. At the same time, mortality from drug overdoses rose by 21 percent.
“The new report shows the decline in life expectancy occurred despite an overall decline in U.S. mortality,” the statement added.
This article makes my head hurt but the obvious conclusion is that we need to increase government expenditures in the war on drugs or else those 1 year old babies are at risk.
This just in: life expectancy continues to be shitty for drug addicts. Now over to Tricia, with the weather.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: U.S. life expectancy falls for second straight year — as drug overdoses soar

Post by eufo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 pm

"but life expectancy calculations are forward-looking projections"

Zombie apocalypse and SkyNet are skewing the numbers
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:17 pm

farjean2 wrote:https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ameri ... es-n831676

With all due respect, how can the NCHS predict the life expectancy of a baby born in 2016 with the precision needed to compare year to year? No wonder your head hurts!

Put this in the same category as stock market predictions and move on.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:20 am

There is a very simple way to reduce this plague noticeably. It even SAVES the government money.

Deschedule cannabis.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:07 am

Libertarian666 wrote:There is a very simple way to reduce this plague noticeably. It even SAVES the government money.

Deschedule cannabis.
Absolutely!
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:05 am

Libertarian666 wrote:There is a very simple way to reduce this plague noticeably. It even SAVES the government money.

Deschedule cannabis.
It's been happening, slowly but surely. I predict it will be nationwide recreational use within a decade.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:27 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Deschedule cannabis.
We’re getting there.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:39 am

If you haven't seen the 60 Minutes segments on how the DEA has been handcuffed and intimidated by select congresspeople and McKesson regarding opioids, it is a sad eye opener that when you are big enough, just like from 2008, all you get are measly fines for terrible behavior.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Cortopassi wrote:If you haven't seen the 60 Minutes segments on how the DEA has been handcuffed and intimidated by select congresspeople and McKesson regarding opioids, it is a sad eye opener that when you are big enough, just like from 2008, all you get are measly fines for terrible behavior.
https://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-whistleblower/
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for the link, Dualstow. BTW what's the story behind the new avatar? It looks like a collector's item plate.

However, I am absolutely dumbfounded at the theory put forth by this video, that distributors are "pumping drugs" into people who don't need them and are therefore responsible for their deaths. They're talking as if opioids are something new. They're not. They've been around for thousands of years, have been commonly used in something like their present form for the past hundred or so years, and - here's the real kicker - they are all cheap, generic drugs that pharmaceuticals and distributors by definition don't make a lot of money on. For example, Vicodin is listed at $13 for 60 tablets on goodrx, and morphine 15mg tablets are $25 for 120. The real money is in brand name statins, diabetes meds, etc.

The other issue, of course, is that distributors (legal ones anyway) can't "pump drugs" into people. A prescription has to be written first. Some people then sell the drugs on the street - but that, too, has been going on for decades.

This has all the hallmarks of a manufactured crisis, and a way of deflecting attention from what is probably the real issue: the epidemic of depression and related psychiatric illness that causes people to self-medicate and commit suicide.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:55 pm

WiseOne wrote:Thanks for the link, Dualstow. BTW what's the story behind the new avatar? It looks like a collector's item plate.

However, I am absolutely dumbfounded at the theory put forth by this video, that distributors are "pumping drugs" into people who don't need them and are therefore responsible for their deaths. They're talking as if opioids are something new. They're not. They've been around for thousands of years, have been commonly used in something like their present form for the past hundred or so years, and - here's the real kicker - they are all cheap, generic drugs that pharmaceuticals and distributors by definition don't make a lot of money on. For example, Vicodin is listed at $13 for 60 tablets on goodrx, and morphine 15mg tablets are $25 for 120. The real money is in brand name statins, diabetes meds, etc.

The other issue, of course, is that distributors (legal ones anyway) can't "pump drugs" into people. A prescription has to be written first. Some people then sell the drugs on the street - but that, too, has been going on for decades.

This has all the hallmarks of a manufactured crisis, and a way of deflecting attention from what is probably the real issue: the epidemic of depression and related psychiatric illness that causes people to self-medicate and commit suicide.
I think TDS is probably responsible for some of this too.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:36 pm

I DON'T NEED LIFE, I'M HIGH ON DRUGS
- Evidently a fuck ton of people
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
WiseOne wrote:Thanks for the link, Dualstow. BTW what's the story behind the new avatar? It looks like a collector's item plate.

I think TDS is probably responsible for some of this too.
What's TDS?

I saw the 60 minutes segment and thought it was the kind of over-sensationalized one-sided story that is often typical of that show. It starts with a statistic of 200,000 deaths due to heroin overdoses and then gives the impression that this is entirely due to prescription drugs. I have no idea what the real statistics are but I'd be willing to bet this was a distortion of the facts.

The other side of this story is the number of people who can't get pain relieving drugs that they really need due to fear of criminal prosecution. I learned of this problem very well when my wife was sent home from the cancer institute to die at home but with prescriptions for Oxycontin and liquid morphine. Trying to find a pharmacy willing to fulfill those prescriptions was nearly impossible. I finally found one on the other side of town but they insisted that my wife had to be present at the counter to pick them up.

That was almost 20 years ago but I found out not much has changed when I went to a local clinic because I couldn't find anything over the counter to give me relief from the pain and itching of shingles. I hadn't been able to sleep for about 5 days at that time and was actually delirious. They gave me something for the itching but they were sorry, they couldn't prescribe anything for the pain even though they knew narcotics would help.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Those are very sad stories, farjean. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

FWIW, I can cite examples of patients who died from status epilepticus, because they were on a medication that was placed by New York State in the same category as opioids, which made it hard for them get the prescription renewed & filled. The prescriptions have to be written anew once a month, in a multistep process that takes about 10 minutes per prescription. Prior to this bureaucratic nightmare, these medications were commonly used and very effective for some patients.

But hey, what do I know compared to 60 minutes...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:17 pm

My understanding is that a large fraction of recent opioid overdoses in the Western world have been due to a proliferation of illegally manufactured fentanyl on the black market in recent years. From the wikipedia article on fentanyl:

“Authorities suspect that the drug is being imported from Asia to the western coast by organized crime groups in powder form and being pressed into pseudo-OxyContin tablets.”
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Tortoise wrote:My understanding is that a large fraction of recent opioid overdoses in the Western world have been due to a proliferation of illegally manufactured fentanyl on the black market in recent years. From the wikipedia article on fentanyl:

“Authorities suspect that the drug is being imported from Asia to the western coast by organized crime groups in powder form and being pressed into pseudo-OxyContin tablets.”
That might be true, but that's a long way from blaming prescription drug manufacturers and prescribers.

I'm really confused about where this new hysteria came from. It's completely out of the blue, like the transgender bathroom [non]issue. I looked up the stats on drug overdose deaths on the drugabuse.gov website. There's a very misleading chart showing absolute numbers of deaths since the 1990s. Yes they've increased, but so has the population. The rate probably hasn't increased, at least not by much. And the absolute numbers are comparable to the number of annual motor vehicle deaths and also the number of suicides - which is increasing by far more than the drug overdose rate. Interestingly, you don't hear much about those. And the link between suicides and drug overdoses is kind of glaringly hard to ignore.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:27 am

WiseOne wrote:BTW what's the story behind the new avatar?
It’s from an Australian show that vaguely reminds me of ‘Lost’ and was created by a sound wave of a certain frequency applied to sand or other granular substance
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:20 am

dualstow wrote:
WiseOne wrote:BTW what's the story behind the new avatar?
It’s from an Australian show that vaguely reminds me of ‘Lost’ and was created by a sound wave of a certain frequency applied to sand or other granular substance
Geek-dom at its best! I love it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:13 am

Oh, not The Deep State? O0
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 am

life expectancy means lots of different things .life expectancy from birth means little many times . while the max age we live to has fallen since 2014 , more and more of us are living to older ages .

as kitces pointed out :

For instance, a child born in 2014 has a life expectancy (average age at death) of 79. However, the median age of death for the same child is 83, and the modal (most common) age at death is 89! Given the shape of the distribution of ages at death (negatively skewed), it’s simply a mathematical fact that the mean is going to be lower than the median or the mode.