Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Michellebell

Re: Trump and sexual harassment and the media

Post by Michellebell » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:21 am

I don't know. When it comes to sexual harassment, I guess it comes down to a he-said, she-said debate and we really don't know who to believe. Some claim these women were lying, and the timing of their claims really is quite fishy to me. Was Bill Clinton worse than Trump? I definitely believe so. Clinton outright lied under oath about his affair and then had to come clean later. But with all the liars out there, it ultimately unfortunately comes down to what we choose to believe.

I also don't know how common or substantial sexual harassment is amongst politicians. I've never been harassed or assaulted in my life, but I'm a teacher and don't work with very powerful or rich people. Recently I saw a flood of the #me toos on Facebook and was pretty surprised. The women who have claimed this have grown up in similar backgrounds to mine. I'm not sure if I should believe that sexual harassment and assault is really that common or if some women are leading men on and then blaming them after the fact. I can only go by my own experience, which is, I grew up in America, and men have always waited for me to reciprocate interest before making any moves. Even my mom says that men behave completely inappropriately around her all the time. The stories she's told me have been absolutely bizarre though. I truly cannot imagine anything like that happening to me.

As far as the tape goes, Billy Bush said that he didn't think Trump knew he was being recorded. He doesn't paint Trump in a positive light in this interview, but this is what he said according to this interview on this link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featur ... an-1005744

Since the article is long, I'm quoting the part here:

"Had you heard him speak like that about women before?

I don't recall anything to that degree. But he's a provocateur. Shocking statements flow like wine from him. And he likes to captivate an audience.

Did Trump know he was being recorded?

I would assume not. I've done many interviews with him, and he always knew when the camera was on and when the camera was off because [he] changed. He was very aware of the camera.

Trump chalked it up to "locker-room banter." Is that a fair characterization?

No. I'm in a lot of locker rooms, I am an athlete, and no, that is not the type of conversation that goes on or that I've participated in.

So is that seriously how Trump approaches women?

I felt that, in that moment, he was being typically Donald, which is performing and shocking. Almost like Andrew Dice Clay, the stand-up comedian: Does he really do the things that he's saying or is that his act? And in Donald's case, I equated it that way. When he said what he said, I'd like to think if I had thought for a minute that there was a grown man detailing his sexual assault strategy to me, I'd have called the FBI."

I don't know anything about Billy Bush really so I don't know how trustworthy he is either but this sounds honest, although I disagree with his "locker-room banter" view. I've heard men talk about women before, and women talk about men before. It can sometimes get a bit ugly.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

My wife, my daughter both sexually harassed. I believe the media accounts. It's a hidden sin.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:34 am

Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.

Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:14 am

WiseOne wrote:Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.
Works for me!
WiseOne wrote: Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
This is just one of the reasons that I'm an anarcho-capitalist.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 am

All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:57 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
WiseOne wrote:Judging by the number of politicians caught in actions that could be categorized as sexual harassment, pedophilia, or adultery, I would guess that if all prominent members of the US or state governments who have engaged in such behavior were to resign, the stampede out of Washington and state capitals would be deafening.
Works for me!
WiseOne wrote: Not that I'm saying that illegal behavior should be tolerated - it absolutely should not be. It's just that we should not be shocked and surprised when promiscuous or predatory behavior is detected, because it's probably an integral part of the politician personality. Nor should we assume that it's only present in those who have been caught at it. Plato's ideal of a "philosopher-king" is as much of a pipe dream now as it was in ancient Greece.
This is just one of the reasons that I'm an anarcho-capitalist.
Agreed.

Recently though seriously my view of humanity has been plummeting.
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:19 am

dualstow wrote:All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
That's just disgusting.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:08 pm

It could explain why Congress hasn't been getting much done lately; they're too busy sexually harassing people.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:49 pm

Michellebell wrote:
dualstow wrote:All this news sparked a memory of my wife’s, of a guy getting “handsy” on a crowded bus, ugh.15 years ago.
That's just disgusting.
it's even worse. I found out during further discussion that it wasn't his hands.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:29 pm

dualstow wrote:
Michellebell wrote:
That's just disgusting.
it's even worse. I found out during further discussion that it wasn't his hands.
Whose were they, then? He had an accomplice?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:39 am

That's right. The good news is he didn't get very far on that crowded bus, but still. :-\
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:19 am

dualstow wrote:That's right. The good news is he didn't get very far on that crowded bus, but still. :-\
Ugh, that is awful, dualstow. Did she try to get up and move to a different seat, or was that not possible? Or call the guy out in front of all the witnesses on the bus?

I've had a similar experience (not on a bus) and I bet most women have. Not recently though. This is one problem that improves as you get older!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 am

I believe everyone was standing on a very crowded bus. This was in China, btw, where they're used to being crammed in like sardines. They even have a saying (that has nothing to do with lechery): "If you're lonely and you want a hug, take the metro or the bus."

Sorry for the ambiguity and and derailing. To wrap it up, he tried to do a little grinding with his hips. Middle-aged man.
I've had a similar experience (not on a bus)
I'm very sorry to hear it!
You know, before all this Weinstein stuff went down, I gave out pepper spray to some female neighbors. It was because of violent crime, not casual perversion. But now, I think they have another reason to carry.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:37 am

Chinese buses, NYC subways....what's a woman to do? Sometimes you just have to go with this sentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4mqbNo0R4
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:39 am

;)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:31 pm

WiseOne wrote:Chinese buses, NYC subways....what's a woman to do? Sometimes you just have to go with this sentiment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4mqbNo0R4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfOQ7VVontE

?
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:37 pm

I am actually a bit curious right now as to why this stuff hasn't happened to me at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad. But at the same time I find it odd that it doesn't happen to me. I am getting the sense that most people expect most women to experience this kind of thing in today's society. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if it's something about the way I look or behave. I really have a hard time imagining that kind of thing ever happening to me.

Growing up, my father was definitely concerned that a boy would try to take advantage of me so he signed up me for self-defense classes and got me books about it and stuff. I learned some useful tips but luckily have never had to do any of it before, knock on wood.

If a guy tried to pull that kind of thing on me though, I'd call him out on it in front of all those people. At the very least, I'd probably gasp in shock and glare at him. Seriously, men do NOT treat me that way. And they have no right to treat any women that way at all. Most of the strangers I meet, especially in Ohio more so than in NJ, are very polite, hold open doors and stuff.

Trump's treatment toward women doesn't seem bad to me though. I know some of you must think I sound nuts, but really I don't think I'd be uncomfortable working for him. I think it's because he's so boldly honest. I feel like people who have a real problem with that kind of stuff would be much more secretive about it and be too afraid to joke about things like that. Plus the interviews I've seen from female employees have been positive.
Michellebell

Post by Michellebell » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Michellebell wrote:I am actually a bit curious right now as to why this stuff hasn't happened to me at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad. But at the same time I find it odd that it doesn't happen to me. I am getting the sense that most people expect most women to experience this kind of thing in today's society. I don't know if I'm just lucky or if it's something about the way I look or behave. I really have a hard time imagining that kind of thing ever happening to me.

Growing up, my father was definitely concerned that a boy would try to take advantage of me so he signed up me for self-defense classes and got me books about it and stuff. I learned some useful tips but luckily have never had to do any of it before, knock on wood.

If a guy tried to pull that kind of thing on me though, I'd call him out on it in front of all those people. At the very least, I'd probably gasp in shock and glare at him. Seriously, men do NOT treat me that way. And they have no right to treat any women that way at all. Most of the strangers I meet, especially in Ohio more so than in NJ, are very polite, hold open doors and stuff.
There is the secret. Don't live in NJ.
Michellebell wrote: Trump's treatment toward women doesn't seem bad to me though. I know some of you must think I sound nuts, but really I don't think I'd be uncomfortable working for him. I think it's because he's so boldly honest. I feel like people who have a real problem with that kind of stuff would be much more secretive about it and be too afraid to joke about things like that. Plus the interviews I've seen from female employees have been positive.
People who aren't from the Northeast (Phila, NY, NJ) often have a negative opinion of people from those areas, who tend to be blunt and outspoken.

Then add the 24/7 barrage of negatively slanted "news" about Trump from the "mainstream media" and it's fairly easy to see why he would be considered a monster by a lot of people. Obviously I'm not one of those people.

On the other hand, I would be very uncomfortable working for Hillary. A lot of her former employees and acquaintances have had terrible suicides.

And apparently Donna Brazile was concerned about the same problem for some reason: "Rich appears elsewhere in Brazile’s book, as the Post reported earlier in the weekend. She wrote that Rich’s murder haunted her and that she'd installed surveillance cameras at her home and would keep the blinds in her office window closed so she could not be seen by snipers, according to the Post." (http://www.newsweek.com/donna-brazile-b ... yptr=yahoo)

I can't figure out why would she be worried about a "botched robbery". Isn't that the official explanation of his death?
Ha, well I grew up in NJ and moved to upstate NY during college, then moved to Ohio when I was 21. I'm not sure if NJ is prone to more sexual assault or just has higher amounts of plain-old a-hole behavior, but I do find that Ohioans are much more polite and many are more religious. And yeah, I would be pretty afraid to work for the Clintons too. Really it's pretty amazing to me that Donna Brazile's story is making it out to the public right now.