TLO symbol changed to SPTLO

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

TLO symbol changed to SPTLO

Post by ochotona » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:24 pm

The symbol changed in my accounts, TLO is now SPTLO.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: TLO symbol changed to SPTLO

Post by ochotona » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:30 am

And the shares split at the same time, apparently.
Jeffreyalan

Post by Jeffreyalan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 am

Looks like the slashed fees on it. The current fee now shows as .06%.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am

It's not just TLO. State Street completely revamped their lineup of low-cost indices with very low fees all around. If you're shopping for a new fund, it's definitely worth a look.

http://newsroom.statestreet.com/press-r ... rtfolio-et
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

I love this race to the bottom in fees. Investing for pennies!
Jeffreyalan

Post by Jeffreyalan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Do you think this moves TLO to the top of the list for LT Bond ETFs? Traditional TLT was the #1 choice and TLO only used in cases where it was commission free, such as at Schwab.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:55 pm

You definitely have to be careful trading the smaller ETFs. Careful use of limit orders and watch the bid/ask spread.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 pm

MangoMan wrote:Probably related:
TDAmeritrade has increased its lineup of commission-free ETFs from around 100 to almost 300. Unfortunately, they are eliminating Vanguard and the common State Street funds like TLT and replacing them with more thinly traded offerings, but with lower expense ratios.

old list of commission-free ETFs: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_ ... 000834.pdf
new list: https://www.tdameritrade.com/retail-en_ ... 000835.pdf
This thing has me pretty upset. They sent me an email this morning touting how they were expanding their commission-free ETF lineup. Looking into it, all of my commission-free ETFs I use are getting cut.... TLT, IVV, IJH, IJR. Even the popular ones I used in the past... SHY, VTI, VNQ, BND, AGG, etc.

They are increasing the NUMBER of ETFs on the list, but cutting out some of the most popular funds. It's making me consider switching brokers.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:51 pm

eufo wrote:This thing has me pretty upset. They sent me an email this morning touting how they were expanding their commission-free ETF lineup. Looking into it, all of my commission-free ETFs I use are getting cut.... TLT, IVV, IJH, IJR. Even the popular ones I used in the past... SHY, VTI, VNQ, BND, AGG, etc. They are increasing the NUMBER of ETFs on the list, but cutting out some of the most popular funds. It's making me consider switching brokers.
That's too bad. If you do switch brokers, and if it's a taxable account, have them transfer the shares over intact, so you don't have a taxable event.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:59 am

ochotona wrote:
eufo wrote:This thing has me pretty upset. They sent me an email this morning touting how they were expanding their commission-free ETF lineup. Looking into it, all of my commission-free ETFs I use are getting cut.... TLT, IVV, IJH, IJR. Even the popular ones I used in the past... SHY, VTI, VNQ, BND, AGG, etc. They are increasing the NUMBER of ETFs on the list, but cutting out some of the most popular funds. It's making me consider switching brokers.
That's too bad. If you do switch brokers, and if it's a taxable account, have them transfer the shares over intact, so you don't have a taxable event.
I'm being overly dramatic, but I am genuinely displeased. I have a ton of information to mull over, though. The new State Street ultra low cost ETFs have some appeal, but some of them are using brand new indices they created, which I read as "unproven". Ugh.

Thanks for the advice on avoiding a taxable event. I think I'm going to end up keeping these ETFs intact and make new purchases in other vehicles... at least for my margin account.
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind