Schwab S&P500 Mutual Fund has 0.03% expense ratio, trades for free

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Schwab S&P500 Mutual Fund has 0.03% expense ratio, trades for free

Post by ochotona »

The Schwab S&P500 mutual fund, SWPPX, now has a 0.03% expense ratio, and it trades for free at Schwab. I checked with a rep over there, there is no minimum holding period for SWPPX.

This is a better offering than Schwab's large cap ETF, SCHX, also with expenses 0.03%, and trades for free at Schwab. I backtested them against each other, and SWPPX won; CAGR +0.05, lower drawdown, better Sharpe / Sortino ratios. Testing period was 2010-today.

SWPPX stacks up fine against IVV and VOO. VOO has 0.03% more CAGR, but the tiniest bit worse drawdown, and same Sharpe / Sortino ratios. This is hair-splitting territory.

I like mutual funds in a way because they trade in fractional shares... I hate having little cash fragments lying about because I can't buy fractional ETF shares. Though I have learned to wait until a few minutes before market closes to place my trade, so I'm happy with the price that I will probably get at end-of-day.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Schwab S&P500 Mutual Fund has 0.03% expense ratio, trades for free

Post by mathjak107 »

be careful here . the schwab s&p 500 fund is quite tax inefficient if it matters to you .

not all s&p funds own all 500 stocks . only 50 funds really dominate the index . the rest act as just filler so some funds more than other trade in and out of the less crucial stocks creating tax liability.

compared to vanguard the schwab s&p 500 fund has more than 2x the effective tax liability and is actually one of the worst in that respect .

if it is inside a retirement plan , not an issue but in a brokerage account you may want to think twice .

schwab is number 6 .

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Damn, that is a low expense ratio. I am pretty happy with Vanguard's S&P fund.

I also like being able to buy fractional shares. Until recently, I had Vanguard's smallcap blend fund on auto-invest, with the same amount of money going in every week.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo »

iShares IVV gives you an ETF option for S&P500 currently at 0.04% ER. http://etfdb.com/etf/IVV/

Competition has definitely been a good thing for us little guys! ;)
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

i can trade ivv free as well as shy and tlt at fidelity
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Mathjak, in a severe waterfall market decline, is a mutual fund safer than an ETF? You can sell an ETF at a price way different than the underlying NAV, which could be really bad. At least with a mutual fund you get the true NAV after the close , correct?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Why sell during a "waterfall decline"?
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:Why sell during a "waterfall decline"?
Good point. Hypothetical question, along the lines of ammo stopping power.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 »

the ramifications of that can be a double edge sword .

in a waterfall decline like we had after brexit look at what happened to some very popular etf's like DVY .

they became so out of whack from trade imbalances that at one point some etf's which had pretty heavy volume were down an insane amount vs the markets .
DVY was being sold out when it was down a whopping 35% while the underlying stocks were down only 5% if you had a stopp loss on it . .

it took a few minutes for arbitrators to get things back in line .

etf's can be a lot more volatile because they are sold short . you also have spreads to deal with . look at those spreads on SLYV at times .

bond etf's can also sell at a premium or discount compared to a fund . that is not so bad with stock etf''s but bond etf's are another story . they tend to develop wider spreads .

buy at a premium and sell at a discount and you get extra whacked . open end funds are always at nav .

i like etf's because i do tend to take advantage of certain situations and trade but they do have some other factors to be concerned about .