Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How Overvalued Are Stocks?

Post by ochotona » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
ochotona wrote:
dualstow wrote:I have considered buying puts, but I have never made use of my options application, even to sell covered calls.
I just don't like the idea of options expiring worthless.
Me neither, unless I'm selling covered calls. O0
Better to just have the right, i.e. comfortable, pp/vp stock allocation.
Even trend-followers need a "sleep well at night" allocation, because you're possibly one calendar month away from the exit, and lots of sh** can happen in a month.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 pm

ochotona wrote:
dualstow wrote:
ochotona wrote:
I just don't like the idea of options expiring worthless.
Me neither, unless I'm selling covered calls. O0
Better to just have the right, i.e. comfortable, pp/vp stock allocation.
Even trend-followers need a "sleep well at night" allocation, because you're possibly one calendar month away from the exit, and lots of sh** can happen in a month.
The above is why running separate tranches of the same portfolio is a good idea if you can...some of your stuff will be out immediately and you slowly unwind as well as dial back in. But the biggest benefit is it reduces start day/timing risk which can be amazingly high for some systems.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:45 am

there really may not be a sleep well allocation for most folks .

losing money is losing money and even conservative portfolio's show no better results when the crap hits the fan as far as folks not exhibiting bad investor behavior .

do you really think if someone was looking for a nice sleep easy portfolio after brexit and bought in to the pp that they would not be pressured to flee when they were possibly down almost double digits by years end ?

study after study has shown as a group investors do just as badly compared to what the fund got whether it is a balanced fund or growth fund .

some balanced funds showed worse behavior because it is the more skittish folks who are in them in the first place. i can tell you dollar wise sometimes the gb makes moves on par with about 70% stocks when you get those days where all assets move up or down together . especially because a small cap value fund moves like it is leveraged at 2 to 3x the s&p moves .
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:49 pm

dualstow wrote:I have considered buying puts, but I have never made use of my options application, even to sell covered calls.
If ONLY I never made use of my options application 20+ years ago, I would be so much better off financially. Don't do it! My opinion.

Even the "safe" covered calls. The minute you sell those, your stock will either rocket up, putting you in a much smaller gain position and losing your underlying, or it will fall drastically, putting you in a nervous position of writing calls at strikes below what you paid.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I hear you. O0 My friends enjoy it, (selling calls that expire), but I've always just held the investment.

I don't think they ever did what you wrote in your last line, but they may have bought their own calls back at times.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:03 pm

dualstow wrote:I hear you. O0 My friends enjoy it, (selling calls that expire), but I've always just held the investment.

I don't think they ever did what you wrote in your last line, but they may have bought their own calls back at times.
Oh, yeah, I did that too. Buy the call back, at a higher price, because I didn't want to lose the underlying.

I started writing calls before 2008. Went great for ~ a year. Then the crash. All my underlyings were underwater significantly. Trying to write a $21 strike call that paid out a measly $200 on a stock I paid $30 for that was now at $18 was impossible. Everything was so volatile, the premiums were reasonably high, but more often than not, I'd either keep the premium, because my stock was getting killed even more, or the stock would rise so much I'd buy the call back because I didn't want the underlying called at a loss. It was a terrible time for me.

I barely look at my holdings 2x a week now with the PP. What a relief.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 pm

regardless of your allocations you should not look at your investments to frequently .

but most of us with an interest do
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:53 pm

All I can say about today is WOW. They love The Drumpf!
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Quite an amazing honeymoon considering it sounds like all he is going to do is put the US into even more debt than before.

That would have been my confirmation bias answer if I were not in the market and still only in gold and miners. Now that I am diversified in the PP, I don't care. Bring it on. Dow 25k. High inflation. Trade wars. Interest rate hikes. Crazy PE ratios. Whatever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Cortopassi wrote:Quite an amazing honeymoon considering it sounds like all he is going to do is put the US into even more debt than before.

That would have been my confirmation bias answer if I were not in the market and still only in gold and miners. Now that I am diversified in the PP, I don't care. Bring it on. Dow 25k. High inflation. Trade wars. Interest rate hikes. Crazy PE ratios. Whatever.
here here! :)
RIP Marcello Gandini
pauliacovelli

Post by pauliacovelli » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:48 am

I would also take it on 6% interest.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am

I got a fun little alert email today... "PSQ has outperformed NASDAQ over the last two weeks". PSQ is the short NASQAQ ETF.