IMPORTANT: PP FORUM *NOT* GOING AWAY

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IMPORTANT: PP FORUM GOING AWAY

Post by craigr » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks for the kind words. We are working on some options and will update soon. Have a good new year.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:29 pm

I'd be happy to kick in some $.

Happy New Year!

Mike
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:42 am

Craig, if you post a description of exactly what's involved in keeping the forum going, we might be able to split up the work among us, if it's too much for one person to deal with.

And I second Cortopassi et al: I'd be willing to kick in small donations to keep it going. After Craig's announcement, my inbox was flooded with questions from people who rarely post, and were generally interested in the forum's main topic.

Oh and Happy New Year everyone!!!! I suppose we should be grateful that the number of terrorist attacks overnight was limited to one, with none in the US or Western Europe.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:50 am

sophie wrote:I suppose we should be grateful that the number of terrorist attacks overnight was limited to one, with none in the US or Western Europe.
For those who know a little bit about Turkish history it will be interesting to see if Ataturk was right after all...
ILoveMoney

Post by ILoveMoney » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:28 pm

I wouldn't mind kicking in a few dollars to keep the forums going, in it's current form.

It would be a sad day, if all momentum from the past years that went into building this community went to waste.

In my humble opinion a community like this needs to exists, where would everyone go to b*tch about the gripes of the current assets that's under-performing? (Just trying to make a point -- it would be scary to be in any port when hit with a situation like 2008 or even a lesser equivalent. : ) While I love the people over at BHs, I wouldn't feel at home there, while maintaining a PP.

Also, I don't mind there's only a "few" posts that get made, in the PP forums. They are still interesting to read and I read them daily. It's quality over quantity.

Not a big fan of Google / FB groups, or other social platforms. Hope we can keep this forum going. My 2 cents.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:39 pm

while i think a few members here are a bunch of douche bags and i no longer post here for the most part , i do copy the mail and would also throw a few bucks in . i think it does do the investment community a service . tyler and machine ghost have made for very interesting reading even though at times we had our differences of opinion .
bitcoininthevp
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bitcoininthevp » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:03 pm

Ive posted before, but maybe it is worth another try for a Slack group.

https://permanentportfolio.slack.com

You can signup here:

https://permanentportfolioslack.herokuapp.com/

Not a forum style with threads but can have a room for gold/bonds/etc
Salmon

Post by Salmon » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks Craig and MT for all that you have done.

Happy New Year!
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:25 am

Money may not be an issue but $50 or $60 per year may be a target amount. One hundred subscribers @ $50 per buys a lot of beer for the new administrator.

Also, I signed up for the Google group, I think. I may need help as I often have trouble merely logging in. Where would I be without those PMs to TPG? (I envy the posters in the "Apple Sucks" thread- and we are Apple with Apple TV)!
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:16 am

For 20-30 $ /month you can run this board on a dedicated server which is 10 -20 times more powerful than it needs to be.
Throw some adsense ads on it and you make multiples of that back.

I really have no idea how this forum is even running into limits, the traffic is very low ???
distefam

Post by distefam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:15 am

While I'm a late arriver to this community, I agree with most in this thread that this eclectic group of people should have a place to congregate and discuss investing as it relates to the Permanent Portfolio.

I am a software engineer and comfortable running servers. I find discourse (made by the people who make Stack Overflow) to be the best forum out there. There are import options out there too if we wanted to preserve some of the history of this forum, though it might be nice to start fresh.

Discourse offers hosting for $100-200/mo (depending on traffic. I would set up a Patreon or similar to help pay for the upkeep. Alternatively, I could host it on a VPS, which would probably be cheaper, albeit with a bit more maintenance.

Update: Looks like a VPS hosted version could be as cheap as $10/mo, though that would depend on traffic.

Please reply to this message so I can gauge interest. I can set up a new Discourse forum today with the trial and we can figure out the demand for paying for upkeep based on interest on this thread. Craig, if this sounds like a good idea to you let's discuss migration options. Everyone, how important would migration be rather than starting over?
stpeter

Post by stpeter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:25 am

bitcoininthevp wrote:Ive posted before, but maybe it is worth another try for a Slack group.

https://permanentportfolio.slack.com

You can signup here:

https://permanentportfolioslack.herokuapp.com/

Not a forum style with threads but can have a room for gold/bonds/etc
+1 to Slack. Once you go Slack, you never go back! ;-)
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:19 pm

distefam wrote: Everyone, how important would migration be rather than starting over?
The best thing would be to keep the setup as it is right now, same forum, same everything.
That way organic traffic is not affected. Google won't like it when all your content is suddenly gone.

There's not really any reason for donations or any funding, like i said before, 20-30 $ will get you a dedicated server that's WAY better than needed.

http://www.serverbidding.com/?country=US
48 GB ram and 2 x 2TB enterprise disks, for a few 100 unique visits/day.... that's 31 euro. Just 1 example.
Some adsense thrown on here will earn that back easily.
stpeter

Post by stpeter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm

distefam wrote: Update: Looks like a VPS hosted version could be as cheap as $10/mo, though that would depend on traffic.
I have my own VPS, too. Easy enough to run such things. :-)
distefam wrote: Please reply to this message so I can gauge interest. I can set up a new Discourse forum today with the trial and we can figure out the demand for paying for upkeep based on interest on this thread. Craig, if this sounds like a good idea to you let's discuss migration options. Everyone, how important would migration be rather than starting over?
Migration is very important - there is a *lot* of historical information here and we're always pointing newcomers to older threads.

I'm sure that many folks here would be happy to contribute small sums now and then to keep things running smoothly.
distefam

Post by distefam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:24 pm

The self-hosted version of Discourse has a docker container so installs are pretty easy. They have a special install tutorial for Digital Ocean but most VPSs will be pretty trivial to do an install. $10/mo isn't bad at all. I'd want others to moderate if I run the servers though.

As for migration. I wonder if simply hosting an archived version of this phbBB would be a good idea so links could be referenced but still using a clean forum. Thoughts?
dutchtraffic
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dutchtraffic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Why does everybody want to reinvent the wheel? Why use another platform and lose all organic traffic...? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever ???
distefam

Post by distefam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:36 pm

dutchtraffic wrote:Why does everybody want to reinvent the wheel? Why use another platform and lose all organic traffic...? Doesn't make any sense whatsoever ???
That's fair. I just offered to run Discourse because I find it to be superior to a traditional forum and I'd feel more comfortable running it than a traditional bulletin board. Others on here have offered to re-host the same phbBB version, which would work too.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Please hold off on creating alternate sites. It's looking like this one will be able to continue, at the same address with the same software. I wouldn't say the panic level can go down to zero just yet, but it's maybe a 1 rather than a 10. Details to come.
distefam

Post by distefam » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:41 pm

That's great to hear. I just offered because I don't want to see the site go away. My main concern is that the site is up and running and I'd be willing to help that in any way. Happy to hear others are working on something.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Here's the update.

Xan has offered to host the site going forward. It will be the same message DB we have here perhaps minus a couple days as the DB transitions over to the new host. The domain will be the same, etc.

Stand by for more details.

-- Craig
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Xan wrote:It's looking like this one will be able to continue, at the same address with the same software.
With the old posts intact? That would be great!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years