Election Recount

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Election Recount

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:19 am

These people are just digging themselves into a deeper hole, IMO.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Election Recount

Post by Benko » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:38 pm

This makes the most sense:

The recounts, if done by hand, which can be demanded, may take longer than the last day for completing the official counts in a state and directing Electoral College voters. If all 3 states miss the deadline, Trump is at 260, Hillary at 232. No one hits 270.

Then this goes to Congress, where the House voting 1 vote per state elects Trump, and Senate selects Pence. This would be first time Pthis happened since 1824, but in that case, John Quincy Adams won in the House, though he had fewer electoral college votes than Andrew Jackson.

If this goes to the US House and Senate, and the result is the same as result from the Electoral College without the recounts, why do it? The answer is to make Trump seem even more illegitimate, that he did not win the popular vote (he lost by over 2.1 million), he did not win the Electoral College (did not reach 270), and was elected by being inserted into the presidency by members of his own party in Congress.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/201 ... ounts.html
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Benko wrote: If this goes to the US House and Senate, and the result is the same as result from the Electoral College without the recounts, why do it? The answer is to make Trump seem even more illegitimate,
I think this hurts Dems among the general electorate more than it helps. They're still in denial that the country actually preferred Donald Trump to their candidate, and stunts like this will have the exact opposite effect of what they intend. The same echo chamber that makes this sound like a good idea is what lost them the election in the first place.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:25 pm

The recount effort is going no where. Even Obama is saying it's a waste...

http://www.businessinsider.com/audit-th ... mp-2016-11

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/w ... unt-231849

Per Pennsylvania law, there has to be evidence of tampering or fraud to even do a recount, and none has been presented, so that one is likely DOA.

If there was actual hacking, the Blue states (PA, MI, WI) would have presented it by now.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:05 am

Trump tweeted: "In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally." He's throwing red meat to his voting base. Abrupt/wild/controversial tweet followed by a sane, direct statement coming from his press secretary. Publicity > Controversy > Official statement. Though obvious, the press seems unable to grasp that he's figured out how to play them like a harp while simultaneously giving a good number of people exactly what they want to hear.

The division we see seems to be between California and most every place else. In California, Clinton won by about a 2-1 margin, easily accounting for her entire margin of victory in the national popular vote and then some. In every place else combined without California, Trump won the electoral vote by a landslide and the popular vote. There is a big cultural divide between California and everywhere else, except perhaps Chicago. Cook (Chicago) and LA counties combined had over 2 million more votes for the losing candidate than the winner.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:46 am

From ZeroHedge on why Jill Stein is doing this....

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-2 ... g-recounts
That a person with absolutely no standing in terms of personal damages, and no presentation of credible evidence of wrongdoing could unilaterally disrupt a presidential election is not only a failure of Stein's personal character but it's a failure of our election rules and procedures that such reckless behavior would be permitted.
Just observed that the markets are down and gold is up today.

I recall during the Nixon/Kenndedy election that Nixon had tangible evidence that Kennedy cheated but didn't challenge the result. Everybody said he was patriotic for not doing it but I always figured it was a case of, to quote Doyle Lonnegan in The Sting, "What was I supposed to do - call him for cheating better than me, in front of the others?"
kingjack

Post by kingjack » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:09 pm

An attorney for Clinton said in a court filing that she argues, like Jill Stein, that hand recounts are superior to automatic recounts of ballots by optical scanners Hillary Clinton made her first move in the presidential election recount effort on Tuesday, declaring support for an attempt to force Wisconsin authorities to review the state’s 3m votes by hand.

dissertation help