How about US mid-caps?

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

How about US mid-caps?

Post by ochotona »

If you look at portfoliovisualizer.com or Portfoliocharts.com, US mid-caps really seem to be long-term outperformers. I am going to make sure I always have a generous slice of the mid-caps in my allocation. The PP with mid-caps backtests very well. Past performance no guarantee of future blah blah blah.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: How about US mid-caps?

Post by Dieter »

I assume familiar with Mel Lindenauers 'Unloved Mid-Caps' on Bogleheads?

The original (2000) : http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... ageIndex=1

Discussions from 2014 (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137723) and 2015 (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=169637)

Why I don't worry when folks say that Vanguard Small Cap Value is not as 'Small' as can be.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Nice old threads, the academic debate goes on while investors pocket gains for decades.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

My pp's stock portion is 27.7% VIMAX (Vanguard's midcap blend). That wasn't a calculated move. I had a midcap and a smallcap index fund pre-pp, and lazily moved them over to the stock portion instead of starting from scratch. Good enough.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I was just looking through Vanguard's fund performances for funds that I own, YTD. REITs did nearly twice as well as Midcaps.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

dualstow wrote:I was just looking through Vanguard's fund performances for funds that I own, YTD. REITs did nearly twice as well as Midcaps.
Agreed. I have a fantastic REIT in my HSA, symbol FREAX. 100% of my HSA is in FREAX. I'm applying dual momentum to manage it in case of a crash.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Of course, looking at 3, 5, 10-year returns, things start to really smooth out. As long as you're in an index, things turn out well.
These are the months that I wish I were in an all-stock portfolio. Cut to November, and maybe I won't be feeling that. >:D
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

You'll probably enjoy this -- MCV and MCG are now in the Portfolio Charts calculators.

https://portfoliocharts.com/2016/08/08/ ... t-updates/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Awesome, Tyler.

In addition to the new calculator options, I'm lovin' the fruit analogy. And to think I spent time over the weekend using the digital color meter app and google images to get RGB values of nice colors for my spreadsheet cells. From fruit. Wasteful, I know, but my point is that I could have got half of them from your new page. O0
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

I never really looked at it before, but that Portfolio Finder is almost genius!

Of course, what's missing is a rational basis for clustering the assets. ;)
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Thank you for what you do, Tyler!
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

There goes (went) my evening. :) Yes, Mid-Cap well represented, esp. at the higher minimum returns.

The least painful portfolios with at least a 4% 15 year REAL CAGR (where did I get that 4%? :) all had:
* 40% stock (if inc. REIT as stock)
(20% SCV or MCV)
* 40% Bonds (if inc. TMM/Cash as bond)
* 20% Gold

Golden Butterfly-ish for the win! :)

By min CAGR, least pain portfolio:

* 4% min: LCV, SCV, ITT, STT, GLD (4.4% CAGR; -8.7% worst year)

* 5% min: MCB, SCV, TBM, LTT, GLD (5.2% CAGR; -9.8% worst year)

- Not that much more painful than the 4% least painful

- Change TBM to STT: 5.1% CAGR; -9.9% worst year

- Worst year jumps 50% (-10.7% to -15.5%) when min CAGR moved from 5.4% to 5.5 (5.6) %
(basically where jump from 40% to 60% stocks, REIT as Stocks)

* 6% min: Intl SM, TBM, LTT, REIT (6.1% CAGR, -20.1% Worst Year)
(E-gads, the tracking error; double worst year vs 5% min CAGR)

* 7% min CAGR, 1 portfolio total: MCV, Intl SM, LTT, REIT (7% CAGR; -26% worst year)
(from 50% stocks to 75% stocks)

Misc observations in top 10 by CAGR at the above levels:
* Almost no intl before ~5.8% CAGR
* TBM appeared more than expected
* Gold basically disappeared starting at 5.9%
* Not much LTT at the 4% level
* Exclude gold: volatility jumps; INTL & TIPS instead
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Can't require LCB

Post by Dieter »

If I require LCB, 0 portfolios at 0% min CAGR (everything else open / default)

Requiring TSM or LCG gives 10 portfolios.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Can't require LCB

Post by Tyler »

Dieter wrote:If I require LCB, 0 portfolios at 0% min CAGR (everything else open / default)
Thanks for the heads-up. It should work now -- luckily that was a relatively simple bug to find and fix.

I'm glad to see everyone finds it useful! :)
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Can't require LCB

Post by Dieter »

Tyler wrote:
Dieter wrote:If I require LCB, 0 portfolios at 0% min CAGR (everything else open / default)
Thanks for the heads-up. It should work now -- luckily that was a relatively simple bug to find and fix.

I'm glad to see everyone finds it useful! :)
Verified working. Thanks for the quick fix.
smither17

Post by smither17 »

A mid-cap company is a company with a market capitalization between $2 billion and $10 billion. As the name implies, a mid-cap company falls in the middle of the pack between large-cap and small-cap companies. Classifications such as large-cap, mid-cap and small-cap are only approximations and may change over time.
smither17

Post by smither17 »

What is 'Mid Cap'

A mid-top organization is an organization with a market capitalization between $2 billion and $10 billion. As the name infers, a mid-top organization falls amidst the pack between huge top and little top organizations. Orders, for example, vast top, mid-top and little top are just approximations and may change after some time.

BREAKING DOWN 'Mid Cap'

There are two primary ways an organization can raise capital when required: through obligation or value. Obligation must be paid back yet can for the most part be obtained at a lower rate than value because of expense preferences. Value may cost all the more, however it doesn't should be paid back in times of emergency. Subsequently, organizations endeavor to strike a harmony amongst obligation and value. This adjust is alluded to as a company's capital structure. Capital structure, particularly value capital structure, can educate speculators a ton concerning the development prospects for an organization.
Sir_Bondalot

Post by Sir_Bondalot »

I believe I recall noticing that many of the mid-cap indicies are ever so slightly "overweighted" with REIT's, compared to small-caps or large-caps. Perhaps this is a contributing factor in some small way given their past performance pre-2007/2008

I also think mid-caps are undervalued and overlooked. I have a mega tilt toward mid-caps, and tend to favor actively managed funds in this regard, only because I don't mind paying the difference for someone to pick the better performing mid-caps, given that they do seem 'overlooked', there might be opportunities for out-performance. I'm willing to take that chance. A 0.60% expense ratio isn't too bad for active management.