All Things Permanent Health

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

All Things Permanent Health

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:27 pm

Wow, could the infamous Tricky Dick's reputation possibly get any worse? YES!!! The guy is definitely jostling for the crown after FDR.
To kill off cancer, the US needs a second National Cancer Act

Decades after the US launched a huge initiative against the disease, new legislation is needed to cut bureaucracy and finish the job

By Vincent DeVita

SOME people believe that a lack of scientific progress is why we have not won the war on cancer. They point to the billions of dollars poured into research since the US government took on the disease via the 1971 National Cancer Act. And yet here we are, stuck in the trenches, they say.

The naysayers are wrong. Victory may be elusive, but not because the science is holding it back. I have seen the war from many angles: as researcher, clinician and director at the National Cancer Institute (NCI) in Bethesda, Maryland, as physician-in-chief at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, as director of Yale University’s Cancer Center, as president of the American Cancer Society and, most recently, as a patient.

No, the real impediment in the war is the regulatory environment and an outdated infrastructure for it, created well before we knew much about the disease.

As a result, outdated beliefs persist; bureaucratic battles erupt among physicians and medical groups; and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has yet to catch up with innovations in cancer drug development.

The National Cancer Act gave us the resources to amass the knowledge we now have. It also freed the research community to use its knowledge and tools efficiently, unencumbered by agency bureaucracies.

But it wasn’t perfect. The draft act had called for the NCI, rather than the FDA, to approve cancer drugs as the institute better understood the issues, both scientific and practical. That didn’t happen, and the FDA stands accused of being a roadblock for patients awaiting new drugs.

Its superior understanding also won the NCI independence from the rest of the National Institutes of Health, but it has allowed this independence to be eaten away. The act also established cancer centres in universities, but they got embroiled in academic politics and fundraising battles.

So I say it is time for a new act, one that combines additional resources with the flexibility to untangle strangling regulation. It should allow NCI-funded centres to operate as independent NCI replicas, where research is done in concert with treatment. It would shift authority for early clinical trials from the FDA to the cancer centres. This would get new discoveries to patients much quicker. Finally, we need a cancer czar with control over the programme’s budget.

If we do all this, we will soon see the end of cancer as a major public health issue. We have the critical mass of scientific knowledge; we need only to get around stifling regulations. The American people, who funded this war, deserve to see a victory.

This article appeared in print under the headline “Cancer’s final act?”

Vincent DeVita is a professor of medicine, epidemiology and public health at Yale School of Medicine, and co-author of The Death of Cancer (Sarah Crichton Books)

Magazine issue 3046, published 7 November 2015

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... ancer-act/
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: All Things Permanent Health

Post by Maddy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:41 am

Darn it; from the title of this thread, I thought it was going to focus on a formula for getting and staying in great health. I've been wishing for a broader version of the Permanent Supplement thread.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:54 am

Maddy wrote:Darn it; from the title of this thread, I thought it was going to focus on a formula for getting and staying in great health. I've been wishing for a broader version of the Permanent Supplement thread.
It's a process. We covered The Permanent Health Diet or was it The Perfect Health Diet a few years ago, so that was sort of an extension to the Supplement thread. I'm not a great writer otherwise I would have written a FAQ long before now.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:49 pm

Speaking of cancer research, there are some very interesting studies going on regarding the potential for treating cancer (as well as a number of metabolic diseases) with a ketogenic diet. One line of research that I found particularly intriguing is that being pursued by a Dr. D'Angostino at the University of South Florida, a mainstream institution. In a nutshell, this researcher has found that while cancer cells thive on glucose (think PET scans, which utilize radioactively labeled glucose as a tracer), they cannot effectively utilize ketone bodies as a source of energy. Of course, things that look promising in vitro often do not pan out in vivo, but I thought this was interesting nonetheless--particularly in light of the fact that the ketogenic diet is being used clinically, apparently with some success, in connection with some other serious illnesses (epilepsy, ALS).

Here's the link to an interview with Dr. D'Angostino. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjPgK7gWJeMI Warning: It's lengthy, and the interviewer is that kooky Dr. Mercola, but if you can get past Dr. Mercola's introduction, it's smooth sailing from then on.

If this video has been posted to this forum before, I apologize. I don't remember where I saw it originally.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:00 pm

This is really infuriating and I don't recall seeing any hyperbolism in the lamestream media about it (but then again, I rarely pay attention to it anymore).
In 2015, Darcy Olsen, the president and CEO of the Goldwater Institute, a national policy and litigation organization that has changed more than 200 laws nationwide, released a book titled The Right to Try: How the Federal Government Prevents Americans from Getting the Lifesaving Treatments They Need. Throughout the book, Olsen states that the FDA’s approval process for new lifesaving medications is needlessly costing tens of thousands of American lives each year. She reveals disturbing statistics that underscore the depth of this worsening problem.

“The FDA,” says Olsen, “takes as long as 15 years to bring a new medicine to market and Americans are waiting 60% longer for the FDA to approve lifesaving devices than they did just seven years ago. Instead of speeding medical innovation, the FDA is slowing it down—demanding more data, more tests, and more procedures on more subjects before it will approve a drug.”

The book begins with the story of Ted Harada, a father of three who was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) at age 38. Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is 100% fatal, with death occurring within two to five years.

But Harada was fortunate. In 2011, he underwent experimental stem cell surgery at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, that reversed his symptoms completely. A second surgery was done in 2012—and two months later, Harada had recovered enough to participate in an ALS fundraising walk.

Then the FDA intervened and decided Harada could not have any further surgeries. He is also unable to undergo surgery outside of the study because the treatment has not yet been approved by the FDA. This lifesaving surgery is also unavailable to the nearly 24,000 people who have died since the clinical trials began. Every 90 minutes, someone with ALS dies.

In an interview with Darcy Olsen, Harada posed the question: “If I have twice shown the surgery is safe and effective, why should I have to ask the FDA for permission to do it? If I have a doctor and a drug company willing to provide this to me, and I obviously have informed consent, why should I ever have to be in a position to go hat in hand to the FDA asking for their permission for something that has been shown to work for me twice? Why should my life rest in their hands?”

Full Interview: http://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2 ... ry/Page-01

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:39 pm

Here's a free 165-page book, Stop Renting Your Health -- Own It: A Three Step Approach, from a still active guy past 65 who still beats professional athletes in their 20's. I have not read it yet, but he advocates a Mediterranean diet, high intensity interval training, supplements, etc. so it sounds kosher. He also hasn't eaten any read meat in 35 years which is rather interesting.

http://www.mackieshilstone.com/wp-conte ... -05515.pdf

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:41 am

Eating only breakfast and lunch reduced body weight, HFC, fasting plasma glucose, C-peptide and glucagon, and increased OGIS, more than the same caloric restriction split into six meals. These results suggest that, for type 2 diabetic patients on a hypoenergetic diet, eating larger breakfasts and lunches may be more beneficial than six smaller meals during the day.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4079942/
Do not run more than 5-10 minutes a day!

http://content.onlinejacc.org/article.a ... ID=1891600

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:29 pm

Another good one from John Oliver... this one is about bullshit masquerading as science. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rnq1NpHdmw
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:36 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
Eating only breakfast and lunch reduced body weight, HFC, fasting plasma glucose, C-peptide and glucagon, and increased OGIS, more than the same caloric restriction split into six meals. These results suggest that, for type 2 diabetic patients on a hypoenergetic diet, eating larger breakfasts and lunches may be more beneficial than six smaller meals during the day.

This looks like a great endorsement for some limited running, though. It reduces overall mortality and cardiovascular mortality by a significant amount.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Reub wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:

This looks like a great endorsement for some limited running, though. It reduces overall mortality and cardiovascular mortality by a significant amount.
This from the study cited:

"Compared with nonrunners, runners had 30% and 45% lower adjusted risks of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality, respectively, with a 3-year life expectancy benefit. In dose-response analyses, the mortality benefits in runners were similar across quintiles of running time, distance, frequency, amount, and speed, compared with nonrunners. Weekly running even <51 min, <6 miles, 1 to 2 times, <506 metabolic equivalent-minutes, or <6 miles/h was sufficient to reduce risk of mortality, compared with not running. In the analyses of change in running behaviors and mortality, persistent runners had the most significant benefits, with 29% and 50% lower risks of all-cause and cardiovascular mortality, respectively, compared with never-runners.

Conclusions Running, even 5 to 10 min/day and at slow speeds <6 miles/h, is associated with markedly reduced risks of death from all causes and cardiovascular disease. This study may motivate healthy but sedentary individuals to begin and continue running for substantial and attainable mortality benefits."

So are all of you going to lace on your running shoes right now?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Reub wrote:So are all of you going to lace on your running shoes right now?
I "ski" in place for 20 minutes a day, 5x a week to target the optimal mortality reduction. I'm a fan of MEMR: minimum effort, maximum results.

If you don't like running, you can do the HIIT: 2 minutes slow, 30 seconds all out, repeat three times, for a total of 10 minutes a day. I posted that study somehwere else.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Got in my latest gut analysis. Despite taking a wide variety of probiotics and prebiotic fibers every day since the last test about eight months ago, it hasn't done much to improve my gut diversity except from an already ridiculously low 16th percentile to 30th percentile. WTF!! >:(

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:40 pm

At least the oral probiotic did something, although I was brushing only once a day more often also.

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:51 am

MachineGhost wrote:
Reub wrote:So are all of you going to lace on your running shoes right now?
I "ski" in place for 20 minutes a day, 5x a week to target the optimal mortality reduction. I'm a fan of MEMR: minimum effort, maximum results.

If you don't like running, you can do the HIIT: 2 minutes slow, 30 seconds all out, repeat three times, for a total of 10 minutes a day. I posted that study somehwere else.
Do you use a Nordic Track for the skiing? I used to have one before it got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:01 pm

MG,

How does one get a "gut analysis" done i.e. what company do you use and what is the test called?

FYI: I owe you and Reub (I think) thanks as I've healed my gut quite a bit thanks partly to the partially hydrolyzed guar gum that perhaps it was Reub and you recommended.

The other happy accidental discovery which has helped heal my gut quite a bit is called amla*. I take a teaspoon per day in my smoothie. Indian (as in Ayurvedic medicine) herb which I happen to try for another reason. Turns out it decreases gut inflammation. Taking the hydrolyzed guar gum and amla helped a friend who had "gut issues" as well.

*amla is one of the 3 herbs in triphala, but I could never take triphala itself because of the cramps it gave me.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:34 pm

Reub wrote:Do you use a Nordic Track for the skiing? I used to have one before it got destroyed in Hurricane Sandy.
No I just free form on a rebounder (mini trampoline) while watching Netflix. I do have one of those walker machines but it wasn't in a room with a TV until recently. It's easy to do HIIT on that. I want more variety so I'll probably throw that in soon. Depends if I can handle the stress or not. I'm so pooped out after weight lifting these days and defintely takes all week to recover.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Benko wrote:How does one get a "gut analysis" done i.e. what company do you use and what is the test called?
You can get a FREE $89 gut microbiome analysis from uBiome using the promo code on this page: http://ubiome.com/pages/personality

Alternatively, you can join their mailing list and wait for a 5-sites-for-1 deal for $89. I've received two (now three) kits for free and have only paid for two 5-for-1's.

I'll post the gut repair fiber cocktail I've been using soon. I guess going from 16th to 30th in diversity isn't nothing to sneeze at at just 5g a day (but it annoyingly makes me drowsy and crash-prone afterwards so only can take it near bedtime). My real aggravation is why I still have no lactic acid bateria despite taking a ridiculous array of expensive probiotics over the past year (PrescriptAssist, Ortho-3, Elixa, etc.), including a spore-forming lactic acid bacteria that definitely survives stomach acid. I thought maybe it was a bad sample and assay the first time, but nope! This shit be pissing me off.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:09 am

Here is the recipe for the prebiotic gut repair fiber mix that I've been taking:

60g Psyllium Husk Powder (Short Chain Fatty Acids)
https://www.pureformulas.com/psyllium-h ... y-now.html
33g Modified Citrus Pectin Powder
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... grams-pwdr
33g Inulin Powder (FructoOligoSaccharides)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... grams-pwdr
30g Larch Tree Powder (ArabinoGalactans)
https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson ... -8-oz-pwdr
27g Glucomannan Powder
https://www.pureformulas.com/glucomanna ... y-now.html
27g Baby's Jarro-Dolphilus + FOS (GalactoOligoSaccharides)
https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formulati ... 0013OSHDY/
14g Acacia Fiber Powder
https://www.pureformulas.com/acacia-fib ... y-now.html

They all specialize in promoting the growth of less common, but pro-health microbiota species (I have 3 very elusive now compared to just 1 before). I'm doubling my daily dose to two 5g scoops now. I'm also going to give probiotics one more shot and try the Life Extension dual encapsulated intestinal-wall sticking FlorAssist Balance Lactobacillus/Bifidobacterium which gets rave reviews -- especially from people who have tried a lot of other probiotics like I have -- before giving up completely. Prebiotics are far more important than prebiotics as prebiotics is the food; probiotics is just the seed.

I don't know what Modified Citrus Pectin is supposed to promote in the gut, but it is normally used to eradicate cancer cells inside the body since it is specially processed to be absorbed into the bloodstream unlike normal pectin.

Ubiome suggests ingesting OligoFructose to promote Akkermansia genus of which I have exactly 0% -- it feeds on the mucin secreted by the gut walls and one species is associated with obesity, inflammation and diabetes (see below). I also know Baobao fruit powder promotes Lactobacillus rhamnosus which has an impressive resume (I think I too took it as a single probiotic to no apparant result).
Obesity and type 2 diabetes are characterized by altered gut microbiota, inflammation, and gut barrier disruption. Microbial composition and the mechanisms of interaction with the host that affect gut barrier function during obesity and type 2 diabetes have not been elucidated. We recently isolated Akkermansia muciniphila, which is a mucin-degrading bacterium that resides in the mucus layer. The presence of this bacterium inversely correlates with body weight in rodents and humans. However, the precise physiological roles played by this bacterium during obesity and metabolic disorders are unknown. This study demonstrated that the abundance of A. muciniphila decreased in obese and type 2 diabetic mice. We also observed that prebiotic feeding normalized A. muciniphila abundance, which correlated with an improved metabolic profile. In addition, we demonstrated that A. muciniphila treatment reversed high-fat diet-induced metabolic disorders, including fat-mass gain, metabolic endotoxemia, adipose tissue inflammation, and insulin resistance. A. muciniphila administration increased the intestinal levels of endocannabinoids that control inflammation, the gut barrier, and gut peptide secretion. Finally, we demonstrated that all these effects required viable A. muciniphila because treatment with heat-killed cells did not improve the metabolic profile or the mucus layer thickness. In summary, this study provides substantial insight into the intricate mechanisms of bacterial (i.e., A. muciniphila) regulation of the cross-talk between the host and gut microbiota. These results also provide a rationale for the development of a treatment that uses this human mucus colonizer for the prevention or treatment of obesity and its associated metabolic disorders.

http://www.pnas.org/content/110/22/9066.long

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:23 pm

What the heck are they eating in Greece?

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Best of the best. The rest of the analyzers only look at less than 100 SNP's.
SelfDecode has 6400 SNPs from the new 23andme chip and 700 SNPs with custom made content (and counting).

SelfDecode can analyze ~8700 SNPs in total (but the new 23andme chip only has 6400).
https://www.selfdecode.com/

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 pm

MachineGhost wrote:Best of the best. The rest of the analyzers only look at less than 100 SNP's.
SelfDecode has 6400 SNPs from the new 23andme chip and 700 SNPs with custom made content (and counting).

SelfDecode can analyze ~8700 SNPs in total (but the new 23andme chip only has 6400).
https://www.selfdecode.com/
$19/month. Blimey!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:51 am

Just use it for up to one month then cancel.

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:17 pm

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

So, what is the bottom line of this picture and related hundreds (thousands?) of words in the link? What do I do with this information?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
So, what is the bottom line of this picture and related hundreds (thousands?) of words in the link? What do I do with this information?
Food for brain.

And I suppose if you want to live longer, get to work on fixing those nine hallmarks.