PP humming along again

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

PP humming along again

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:42 pm

I notice a distinct absence of threads bemoaning the PP's poor performance now that things are going well. ;) Everyone happy again?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: PP humming along again

Post by drumminj » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes and no.

Yes because my current PP investments are doing well.  No because I have more money I'd like to move into the PP, but not thrilled about doing it at near-highs for the assets :/

(clearly I'll never be happy)
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:30 pm

Last edited by l82start on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:55 pm

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:46 pm

Pointedstick wrote: Everyone happy again?
Could you throw in a toaster?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
curlew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by curlew » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I notice a distinct absence of threads bemoaning the PP's poor performance now that things are going well. ;) Everyone happy again?
No, because I only look in January. I'll get back to you then.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:02 pm

curlew wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I notice a distinct absence of threads bemoaning the PP's poor performance now that things are going well. ;) Everyone happy again?
No, because I only look in January. I'll get back to you then.
Now that's willpower!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:45 pm

drumminj wrote: Yes and no.

Yes because my current PP investments are doing well.  No because I have more money I'd like to move into the PP, but not thrilled about doing it at near-highs for the assets :/

(clearly I'll never be happy)
I had the same reservations to adding additional capital with the portfolio doing so promising YTD.
Decided to follow Sophie's lead and invested equally across all assets.
If you ascribe to the PP philosophy, this is the correct way to proceed.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:22 pm

Good for you, Budd.  If only I took my own advice!  I put in limit orders a few days ago for equal amounts of stocks, bonds and gold in a Roth account.  Guess which asset purchase went through, and which are still sitting there because the assets took off skyward and left my limit order in the dust.

Argh!!!

Next time I'll just put in market orders and call it a day.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:26 pm

Isn August decided that I was going to put 100% of my money in the PP over the next year, so I split it into 4 purchases. Bought in mid august and again in January. I still have two more purchases to go. In hindsight I'd had been better buying all at once as is suggested by HB.
But I'm very happy! 6% gain on 50% of my net worth is way more than the amounts I was getting trying to play the market. More time to focus on business and life too. :)
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Matthew19 wrote: Isn August decided that I was going to put 100% of my money in the PP over the next year, so I split it into 4 purchases. Bought in mid august and again in January. I still have two more purchases to go. In hindsight I'd had been better buying all at once as is suggested by HB.
But I'm very happy! 6% gain on 50% of my net worth is way more than the amounts I was getting trying to play the market. More time to focus on business and life too. :)
I don't think HB was suggesting you invest your entire nest egg at once (lump sum or dollar cost average).
What's more important is you purchase all 4 assets at once and not leg into the portfolio.
Its a classic example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."
That's what was going through my mind at the time. Sophie provided the inspiration, now just has to act upon it next time!
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:50 am

sophie wrote: Good for you, Budd.  If only I took my own advice!  I put in limit orders a few days ago for equal amounts of stocks, bonds and gold in a Roth account.  Guess which asset purchase went through, and which are still sitting there because the assets took off skyward and left my limit order in the dust.

Argh!!!

I never put in market orders because I'm concerned about a flash crash (or the opposite), or just a really slow market where someone has a "stink bid" in far from the current price.

Instead, I put in a limit order slightly above the market price when buying and one slightly below the market price when selling. If things are normal, I get that price or better; otherwise I try again shortly afterwards.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:35 am

Libertarian666 wrote: Instead, I put in a limit order slightly above the market price when buying and one slightly below the market price when selling. If things are normal, I get that price or better; otherwise I try again shortly afterwards.
I understand why you added, "If things are normal." I remember ~1999 something weird happened with a limit order. I called the brokerage house and was told that my limit price was only the trigger, but that the trade would still execute "at market."  :o Normally, that doesn't matter, but things can get screwy.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:03 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: I never put in market orders because I'm concerned about a flash crash (or the opposite), or just a really slow market where someone has a "stink bid" in far from the current price.

Instead, I put in a limit order slightly above the market price when buying and one slightly below the market price when selling. If things are normal, I get that price or better; otherwise I try again shortly afterwards.
That's exactly what I did.  It's not the first time it's backfired.  I have never put in a market order because the price fluctuations can be a bit unpredictable, but this was probably no worse than the occasional flash crash would be.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: Instead, I put in a limit order slightly above the market price when buying and one slightly below the market price when selling. If things are normal, I get that price or better; otherwise I try again shortly afterwards.
I understand why you added, "If things are normal." I remember ~1999 something weird happened with a limit order. I called the brokerage house and was told that my limit price was only the trigger, but that the trade would still execute "at market."  :o Normally, that doesn't matter, but things can get screwy.
I believe that you were told a lie. There is an order type like that, but it is called "market if touched", not "limit". A limit order should not be executed unless you get the limit price or better.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:36 pm

sophie wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: I never put in market orders because I'm concerned about a flash crash (or the opposite), or just a really slow market where someone has a "stink bid" in far from the current price.

That's exactly what I did.  It's not the first time it's backfired.  I have never put in a market order because the price fluctuations can be a bit unpredictable, but this was probably no worse than the occasional flash crash would be.
If you put a limit bid in slightly above the last price, it should have been executed. Was there a big gap?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: I believe that you were told a lie. There is an order type like that, but it is called "market if touched", not "limit". A limit order should not be executed unless you get the limit price or better.
That had always been my understanding, too.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:55 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
sophie wrote:

If you put a limit bid in slightly above the last price, it should have been executed. Was there a big gap?
Fidelity doesn't let you put in limit bids to buy above the price at market close when it's after hours.  Not sure why.  So I always put it in for just under the current price.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am

sophie wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
sophie wrote: That's exactly what I did.  It's not the first time it's backfired.  I have never put in a market order because the price fluctuations can be a bit unpredictable, but this was probably no worse than the occasional flash crash would be.
Fidelity doesn't let you put in limit bids to buy above the price at market close when it's after hours.  Not sure why.  So I always put it in for just under the current price.
Why would you put orders in after hours? You are asking to get a bad price.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:05 am

Probably a lot of people have this issue if they're at work and unable to trade.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:32 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
sophie wrote: Good for you, Budd.  If only I took my own advice!  I put in limit orders a few days ago for equal amounts of stocks, bonds and gold in a Roth account.  Guess which asset purchase went through, and which are still sitting there because the assets took off skyward and left my limit order in the dust.

Argh!!!

I never put in market orders because I'm concerned about a flash crash (or the opposite), or just a really slow market where someone has a "stink bid" in far from the current price.

I know little about the way the exchanges work, but I remember hearing something about limit orders being "visible" to counterparties making it somehow more likely that you get the exact limit price you set and not better... maybe something about your own own brokerage being allowed to execute on that limit price.  That said, it's a vague recollection and I still do the exact thing you all mention by setting a limit price slightly above/below the current market price.  If I'm not in a hurry I just use the current bid/ask.
dualstow wrote: Probably a lot of people have this issue if they're at work and unable to trade.
I'm actually running a free service these days to help people who have this problem. Just PM your brokerage login details to me, and the trades you want me to execute.  I'll handle it all for you!  No need to pay me, I'm just a really nice guy.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:53 am

;) dragoncar,
Will you need my social? I don't usually give it out, but you seem harmless.
Matthew19

Post by Matthew19 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:39 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Matthew19 wrote: I don't think HB was suggesting you invest your entire nest egg at once (lump sum or dollar cost average).
Harry suggested doing the PP with the money that you can't afford to lose. The rest can be variable portfolio, which for me is about 3%. The money that I could afford to lose was already lost  >:(
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:27 pm

dualstow wrote: Probably a lot of people have this issue if they're at work and unable to trade.
I think most people could use their smartphones to place a trade during lunch hours.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:51 pm

With a PP I'm not sure dollar cost averaging or spacing out purchases makes a whole lot of sense...it is a pretty good bet one of the three assets will be oinking and another flying...remember the assets are meaningless, it is the portfolio construction that matters.
Last edited by Kbg on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.