Reub

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Reub

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Okay, what's the full story on Reub and how long has he been banned for?  Enquiring minds want to know!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Reub

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Damn, is he banned? That explains the absence of a "Religion of peace comes to Brussels" thread.  :o
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:59 pm

I heard through private messages (aka the Dark Forum) that Reub got a 30-day ban for something particularly incendiary that he said about someone's child. However I can't find his user so maybe he deleted his account entirely! :-\
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I heard through private messages (aka the Dark Forum) that Reub got a 30-day ban for something particularly incendiary that he said about someone's child. However I can't find his user so maybe he deleted his account entirely! :-\
You can't find Reub's profile?
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I heard through private messages (aka the Dark Forum) that Reub got a 30-day ban for something particularly incendiary that he said about someone's child. However I can't find his user so maybe he deleted his account entirely! :-\
I don't know about any suspension, but I do recall the comment and calling him out for it. Yes, it was offensive. I really appreciate his contributions here, though I frequently disagree with him. But sometimes his point gets lost in the tone of his comments which can be unnecessarily acerbic.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:00 pm

Ad Orientem wrote: I don't know about any suspension, but I do recall the comment and calling him out for it. Yes, it was offensive. I really appreciate his contributions here, though I frequently disagree with him. But sometimes his point gets lost in the tone of his comments which can be unnecessarily acerbic.
a grain of sand is abrasive, but without it you cant have a pearl - nothing but sand and you get a desert where nothing grows,

rube is a welcomed contributor, but its up to him (end each of us) to modulate and temper our posting style and avoid unnecessary confrontation.. there are plenty of forums and comment sections across the entire Internet, where abrasive, corrosive and offensive comments are not only welcomed but encouraged, i like to think that we are shooting for not only a higher standard of conversation but a largely self regulating one..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:33 pm

Greg wrote:
You can't find Reub's profile?
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/profile/?u=398
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 pm

That's odd, for me he doesn't show up in searches or on the member list here: http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/mlist/
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:19 pm

hmm...  It looks like banned users' profile pages still exist, eg:
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/profile/?u=894
but their names do not show up in the list you linked to.  Maybe that is what happened to Reub.  Or it could be that's the case for the duration of any temporary ban.

As an aside, Kshartle is still averaging more than two posts per day!!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Ad Orientem wrote: I don't know about any suspension, but I do recall the comment and calling him out for it. Yes, it was offensive. I really appreciate his contributions here, though I frequently disagree with him. But sometimes his point gets lost in the tone of his comments which can be unnecessarily acerbic.
If Reub is "unnecessarily acerbic", I'm awful curious how you would describe my fine self. ;D
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:32 am

MachineGhost wrote:
If Reub is "unnecessarily acerbic", I'm awful curious how you would describe my fine self. ;D
Eclectic with a supplemental grain or two of sand?  ;D

... M
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:50 am

Xan wrote: As an aside, Kshartle is still averaging more than two posts per day!!
LOL! That, in a nutshell, is why I'm leery of data mining.
RIP Marcello Gandini
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 am

Maxwell Smart is no longer with us.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:41 pm

So when exactly does Reub get unbanned?  It seems a little quiet around here without his "unnecessarily acerbic" comments.

WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:03 am

I hope he comes back too.  Despite the cave man tone he's contributed a lot.

You might recall he's been through a lot recently too:  losing his home in Hurricane Sandy, then his father not too long ago.  The tone of his posts changed after that event, so I figured he deserves a bit extra latitude.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:57 pm

MachineGhost wrote: If Reub is "unnecessarily acerbic", I'm awful curious how you would describe my fine self. ;D
Cracked me up  ;D
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:18 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
You have your moments. But I don't ever recall you suggesting that the son of another member of the forum was contemplating murder.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:14 pm

Ad Orientem wrote: You have your moments. But I don't ever recall you suggesting that the son of another member of the forum was contemplating murder.
Wow, what did I miss?  All the good bad stuff happens when I'm away.  :'(