Free copy of my book (featuring PP)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jake

Free copy of my book (featuring PP)

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:39 am

I am giving away my latest book free on Amazon for the next few days only. It's called Job Free: Four Ways to Quit the Rat Race and Achieve Financial Freedom on Your Terms. It includes discussion of the permanent portfolio. Many members of the PP forum provided valuable feedback on the draft.

Please download a free copy now, while the giveaway lasts. http://getbook.at/jobfree
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Free copy of my book (featuring PP)

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:24 am

Brilliant!

I don't think I found the free link, though. I don't have kindle unlimited, so I tried "$0.00 to buy". Or is the promotion over?
RIP Marcello Gandini
Jake

Post by Jake » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:47 am

In order to get your free copy, please ignore the Kindle Unlimited link and instead click to "buy" the book (for $0). That should give you the book free of charge.

Amazon makes it very confusing because they are always trying to promote Kindle Unlimited.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:02 am

The $0.00 link seems to just refresh the page, but the Buy Now with One-click button did the trick.
Summary of the order says $0.

Many thanks for the free download! Looking forward to reading it.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Got it!  I will definitely enjoy reading this!
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:34 pm

The download worked great for me.  Thanks! 
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:48 pm

Jake,

Skimmed through most quickly, will read more in depth later.  I liked the personal stories.

My personal story is I always leaned toward the startup angle, with the big potential payoff of stock options, etc.  Followed closely by living very frugally.

Let me preface this by saying I am almost 49, and still working 40 hours a week in a cube, but I do like my job quite a lot.

The startups, of which I tried 5 or so on my own and 3 through existing spinoff companies, were mostly a great time while I was there, but none panned out in the end.  All companies folded, or those that didn't never saw their share price above the initial IPO level ever again (Palm is my major example).

Where I did not realize at the time I could have been wildly more successful was the frugal living and conservative investing.  If I had simply done the PP through my investing career, vs. lots of high risk investments, options, etc (trying to hit a home run). I would be at a savings level where I could likely have independence right now.  You live and learn, and at least I will be able to guide my daughters down a better path than I took when it comes to investments for most of my career.

So that leaves my working in a cube, continuing to save for retirement.  I am confident retirement will come earlier than most; I am targeting mid to late 50s, but you never know.  When I take days off, a lot of times I go stir crazy because I have little to fill my spare time when the weather outside is poor.  So work is "working" out for me, for now.
Test of the signature line
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Thank you Jake.  I'm looking forward to reading.  :)

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Oh fabulous!

But...

the Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only. To shop for titles available for your country, please visit Amazon.com.

Can you help me ?

Thank you.
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
mukramesh
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mukramesh » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks, Jake! Just grabbed a copy and am enjoying it so far!
Jake

Post by Jake » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 am

frugal wrote: Oh fabulous!

But...

the Kindle Store on Amazon.co.uk is for UK customers only. To shop for titles available for your country, please visit Amazon.com.

Can you help me ?

Thank you.
The link http://getbook.at/jobfree should automatically redirect you to your local Amazon site based on your IP address, but if you are currently abroad or using a VPN then you might have landed on the wrong Amazon store. Just go to your regular Amazon webpage in the country where you have an account, search for the book title, and you will find it there for free.
Jake

Post by Jake » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:57 am

Cortopassi wrote: Jake,

Skimmed through most quickly, will read more in depth later.  I liked the personal stories.

My personal story is I always leaned toward the startup angle, with the big potential payoff of stock options, etc.  Followed closely by living very frugally.

Let me preface this by saying I am almost 49, and still working 40 hours a week in a cube, but I do like my job quite a lot.

The startups, of which I tried 5 or so on my own and 3 through existing spinoff companies, were mostly a great time while I was there, but none panned out in the end.  All companies folded, or those that didn't never saw their share price above the initial IPO level ever again (Palm is my major example).

Where I did not realize at the time I could have been wildly more successful was the frugal living and conservative investing.  If I had simply done the PP through my investing career, vs. lots of high risk investments, options, etc (trying to hit a home run). I would be at a savings level where I could likely have independence right now.  You live and learn, and at least I will be able to guide my daughters down a better path than I took when it comes to investments for most of my career.

So that leaves my working in a cube, continuing to save for retirement.  I am confident retirement will come earlier than most; I am targeting mid to late 50s, but you never know.  When I take days off, a lot of times I go stir crazy because I have little to fill my spare time when the weather outside is poor.  So work is "working" out for me, for now.
Thanks for sharing your story Cortopassi! Great to hear from you.
Jake

Post by Jake » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:15 am

Hey guys, I made it to #1 on Amazon UK's Best Seller list in Personal Finance :)

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 am

Nice!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:09 am

You deserve it; the book's excellent.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm

Congrats Jake!  Well deserved.

I started reading it last night.  It's great so far, and love the pointers to other blogs & your podcasts.  I'll definitely have to check some of them out!
frugal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by frugal » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:33 pm

Hi,

how much salaries Jake uses to retire?

Does he advice 25 annual salaries?

Thank you!
Live healthy, live actively and live life!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:56 pm

I'm starting to realize that while I am sedentary, I have a few things in common with nomads. No cable bill (until last year, having spent the last 15-16 years in the States). No car!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm so jealous of the carless people. It's a shame more of the USA isn't built with carless mobility in mind. The west where I live is particularly bad, and although I've chosen to live in a pretty walkable neighborhood to mitigate it, it's still tough to avoid busting out the car a few times a week.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:19 pm

frugal wrote: Hi,

how much salaries Jake uses to retire?

Does he advice 25 annual salaries?

Thank you!
Hi Frugal!  Jake spent almost a year carefully putting his ideas and recommendations into a book and now he is offering it to you for free.

All you have to do is download it and read it!  What a deal!

But maybe your question isn't worth all of that effort.
Maybe your question is worth just enough to ask someone else to do the work for you.
Jake

Post by Jake » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:23 am

Today is your last chance to download the book for free! http://getbook.at/jobfree
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:02 pm

Pointedstick wrote: I'm so jealous of the carless people. It's a shame more of the USA isn't built with carless mobility in mind. The west where I live is particularly bad, and although I've chosen to live in a pretty walkable neighborhood to mitigate it, it's still tough to avoid busting out the car a few times a week.
I thought you lived in Albuquerque? It seems like it has a lot of bike lanes, flat, no humidity, all the things that make for a good biking city.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Pointedstick wrote: I'm so jealous of the carless people. It's a shame more of the USA isn't built with carless mobility in mind. The west where I live is particularly bad, and although I've chosen to live in a pretty walkable neighborhood to mitigate it, it's still tough to avoid busting out the car a few times a week.
I thought you lived in Albuquerque? It seems like it has a lot of bike lanes, flat, no humidity, all the things that make for a good biking city.
Indeed, but it's still primarily a driving city. It's large and spread out and many places are inaccessible except by car simply by virtue of being so far away. Oh, and the drivers are terrible. Except for me of course! ;D
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:34 pm

(PointedStick) It's a shame more of the USA isn't built with carless mobility in mind
I guess it was largely rebuilt for cars. Cars are the reason we have strip malls and tons of intersections where pedestrians are out of luck.
Between self-driving cars and millennials lack of zeal for cars in general, I think the future looks bright. I mean it.

By the way, my dad grew up in ABQ in the 50s. The city has expanded more than he ever thought it would. I haven't been there since my aunt died many years ago, but I saw how spread out it was.
Mark Leavy wrote: Hi Frugal!  Jake spent almost a year carefully putting his ideas and recommendations into a book and now he is offering it to you for free.

All you have to do is download it and read it!  What a deal!
;) +1
Last edited by dualstow on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:32 pm

Jake wrote:
Today is your last chance to download the book for free! http://getbook.at/jobfree
Downloaded! Thanks! Although I'm assuming these can only be read on a computer screen or a Kindle reader? (I wasn't seeing anything on Amazon to be able to download to a PDF file so that you can print it off yourself).
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius