Furthering my financial education

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Furthering my financial education

Post by ochotona » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:00 pm

I have been considering going back to school and getting some more financial education, in case I have to make an involuntary exit out of the oil industry next year.. I have a wealth adviser friend who has been trying to pull me into his practice. Having been through these oil industry cycles before, I did have the foresight to earn an MBA in 1992, back when I had the time and energy, and my employer paid for it. In order to practice as a wealth adviser, I'd of course need the FINRA Series 7 / 66 licenses, and then there is an alphabet soup of different certifications; CFP, CLu, CRPC, CMT, CPA,... and on and on.

Does anyone have any insight / opinions / commentary on which alphabet soup is valuable? Personally, I am drawn to Chartered Retirement Planning Counselor (CRPC). This whole collection of topics surrounding safe withdrawal rates, taxes, health insurance, annuities, legacy, philanthropy, estate planning is very fascinating, and crucially important to me and to people in my family.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Furthering my financial education

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:47 pm

So you're not going to jump straight off into lion taming?

Sorry, I couldn't resist the Monty Python reference.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:12 am

I am in lion taming already. The lion is winning.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:08 am

ochotona wrote: I am in lion taming already. The lion is winning.
:)

Back to your financial education: do you think your MBA and previous education is related to your predilection for tinkering (i.e. not passively investing), or are those two things mutually exclusive?
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:10 pm

dualstow wrote: Back to your financial education: do you think your MBA and previous education is related to your predilection for tinkering (i.e. not passively investing), or are those two things mutually exclusive?
No, not at all, because I was a passive investor from 1986 - 2015, then in my mid-50s I realized my exposure to sequence-of-returns risk, and I started to look for ways to decrease MaxDD and increase Sharpe and Sortino. I thought the Permanent Portfolio was it, then after gold and long Treasuries shocked me out, I realized it was not free of short term risk.

As I have written before, I'm still too early in my life to ease into the PP CAGR; I need more juice for another decade. I really do think a Faber / Antonacci approach is going to work for the bulk of my portfolio, with my 2015 - 2030 bucket of assets in a PP where the gold is gradually bought, and the Treasury maturities are gradually lengthened, so avoid shocks.

I really don't mind the whipsaw this year with the 200 day MA. As long as it's for a well-studied, well-documented reason, I don't mind doing it. Many authors have studied absolute momentum, it's a real thing.
Last edited by ochotona on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Disorientation
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Professor Disorientation » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:11 pm

I got a chance to go into the financial industry some years ago, and it was a career change for me. I had the Series 7 and 66 licenses and I was certified in mutual funds. This is what I learned, and I wished someone would have been honest with me. You are selling financial products. If you don't sell financial products, you are out the door. It has little to do with how smart you are and everything to do with selling financial products. I knew this guy who wasn't that bright but people liked him, he had the right personality and that's what counts.

I'll never forget my first day on the job-cold calling for clients. I called this lawyer and got a good cussing out. That was my real-life education in the financial field. Some guys are lucky and their fathers leave them a book-of-business. I wasn't that lucky. How will you get clients? Are you an extrovert? Will your conscious allow you to sell a financial product to someone if you need to meet this month's sells quota?

I passed the Series 7 and less than two weeks later the Dow hit an all-time high. When the fall of 2008 hit and the financial meltdown was happening (I was watching CNBC and the Dow was falling hundreds of points), I knew I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making it. My supervisor's wisdom to me was to make more cold calls.

I went through the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. It could happen again. I feel sorry for the guys who came after me when the market began to go up. God help them when the market goes down. It's not pretty.

Good luck.

Michael
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm in large account technical sales now, so I know what you mean about being smart vs. being an extrovert and a closer.  ;)

The choices that lie before me are if oil stays where it is, and my current employer wrecks, I can leverage off of my existing MBA and financial knowledge and be a seller of financial products  and services somewhat quickly, or I can be unemployed or way underemployed for years at something I don't know anything about until the oil prices comes back up. So I choose the former. And being a CFP or whatever would be interesting.
Last edited by ochotona on Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:10 pm

ochotona wrote: Thanks for the advice. I'm in large account technical sales now, so I know what you mean about being smart vs. being an extrovert and a closer.  ;)
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:35 pm

Over lunch with a wealth manager friend, he said the CRPC certification was "lightweight", but agreed it could be a way to take a nibble at the subject matter. Cost is $1180 for an online course, takes about 10 weeks, and the curriculum looks interesting. And if you earn it, the online college lets you skip 1/3 of the CFP coursework. The CFP, by the way, costs $4800. Given how important retirement prep is, and wealth managers are expensive (1% fee), getting a CRPC could be an economical value-add for anyone who wants to self-manage their retirement process.

I mean, if you have only $118,000 in capital, avoiding a 1% AUM fee for one year pays for the course right then and there.

Last edited by ochotona on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:22 pm

ochotona wrote: Over lunch with a wealth manager friend, he said the CRPC certification was "lightweight", but agreed it could be a way to take a nibble at the subject matter. Cost is $1180 for an online course, takes about 10 weeks, and the curriculum looks interesting. And if you earn it, the online college lets you skip 1/3 of the CFP coursework. The CFP, by the way, costs $4800. Given how important retirement prep is, and wealth managers are expensive (1% fee), getting a CRPC could be an economical value-add for anyone who wants to self-manage their retirement process.

I mean, if you have only $118,000 in capital, avoiding a 1% AUM fee for one year pays for the course right then and there.
You've lost me here. The easiest and quickest way to avoid that fee is to manage your investments yourself. Why would you need any certification to manage your own investments?  :P
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:05 pm

Libertarian666 wrote: You've lost me here. The easiest and quickest way to avoid that fee is to manage your investments yourself. Why would you need any certification to manage your own investments?  :P
Investments are only part of what it takes to retire well. Click on the link, have a look at the syllabus. I think it will give you a well-rounded approach to the topic... except for the gold, of course.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I don't see anything there that I would want or need to pay $1180 for, but obviously everyone is different.
blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blackomen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:32 am

If you want to work in the industry, go for CFA.

If you just need advice for managing your own investments, trustworthy forums and blogs are you friend.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

blackomen wrote: If you want to work in the industry, go for CFA.
Not a CFP ?
blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by blackomen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:43 pm

ochotona wrote:
blackomen wrote: If you want to work in the industry, go for CFA.
Not a CFP ?
CFP is fine too and one of the most respectable designations (in addition to CFA and CPA.)  Like the name suggests, it's best for a financial planner or advisor.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:35 pm

Thanks
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:26 am

The CRPC class is relatively easy and fun. A few time value of money brain teasers sharpened up my TVM calculation skills. It's a good review, and I am learning new things. But, as expected, NO discussion of precious metals / commodities as an investable asset class. And it downgrades "timing" as an investment strategy. To be expected. Definitely worth the money, even if I never use the designation as a professional. If the knowledge helps me to avoid one costly mistake, it was worth it.

BTW, the CFP I can't get, because it requires several years of financial industry experience. I am still in geoscience (ah... for the time being). It will all depend on the price of oil.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 pm

One day before the deadline, I tested and earned the CRPC designation. I learned quite a bit more than I expected, mostly around how the government is out to screw everything that moves. I'm glad I did it, I am certain it was worth the time and money. I would not have ventured into all of the curriculum topics by myself without the carrot-and-stick of extra letters to put in back of my name, and maybe failing a test. What I learned mostly did not overlap with my MBA, which surprised me. MBA students don't spend any time studying Social Security Retirement and Disability, Medicare / Medicaid, Pensions, etc. all vital for retirees.

Ochotona, MBA, CRPC
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:57 am

ochotona wrote:One day before the deadline, I tested and earned the CRPC designation. I learned quite a bit more than I expected, mostly around how the government is out to screw everything that moves. I'm glad I did it, I am certain it was worth the time and money. I would not have ventured into all of the curriculum topics by myself without the carrot-and-stick of extra letters to put in back of my name, and maybe failing a test. What I learned mostly did not overlap with my MBA, which surprised me. MBA students don't spend any time studying Social Security Retirement and Disability, Medicare / Medicaid, Pensions, etc. all vital for retirees.

Ochotona, MBA, CRPC
Congratuations! And, thanks for the analysis.

... Mountaineer
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:12 am

Estate planning basics, same sex marriages and domestic partnerships, income tax strategies, the list of government fostered pitfalls goes on and on... I leapt up in a rage when I realized my wife's Social Security is going to be dinged because of GPO WEP. I got sad when I saw all of the non-obvious mistakes my Dad made in his retirement which caused him to run out of money.

You don't know what you don't know, until you take a class.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:23 am

ochotona wrote:Estate planning basics, same sex marriages and domestic partnerships, income tax strategies, the list of government fostered pitfalls goes on and on... I leapt up in a rage when I realized my wife's Social Security is going to be dinged because of GPO WEP. I got sad when I saw all of the non-obvious mistakes my Dad made in his retirement which caused him to run out of money.

You don't know what you don't know, until you take a class.
Sounds like it's worthwhile for my folks (approaching SS age) to seek out a CRPC. Any tips?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:10 am

ochotona wrote:Ochotona, MBA, CRPC
MBA is about managing people/organizations, no?

I never heard of CRPC before you mentioned it, but it sure sounds more real-world useful than ChFC, CFA or Series xx.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:59 am

There is no CRPC study guide from 3rd party vendors, but there are for the CFP. A CFP study guide from Amazon will expose you to what the CRPC covers, and more. The CFP is more ambitious than the CRPC. If you want the designation, the course is "only" $1200. Much less costly than Trump University.