Armageddon In Paris

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Armageddon In Paris

Post by Reub » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Any doubt that it's emissaries of the religion of peace? Dozens dead all over Paris. A hundred young hostages.

Maybe if we stick our heads in the sand they'll like us and they won't come here?
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Armageddon In Paris

Post by AdamA » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Reub wrote:
Maybe if we stick our heads in the sand they'll like us and they won't come here?
What do you think we should do?
Simonjester wrote: i heard the Muslim immigrants are voting for a new french state motto

"veni vidi Vichy vici"

"I came; I saw; they collaborated; I conquered"
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:12 pm

Yikes, crazy. Hollande has closed the borders.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:57 pm

AdamA wrote: What do you think we should do?
If there's any personally-applicable lesson to learn here, it's this: if they try it here, shoot back. Carry your guns. I'm wearing one right now and you should be too. Don't go down without a fight. Do your part to protect your society and your civilization.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:55 pm

The Eagles of Death Metal, the so called "American Band" at the concert hall is a band that I have followed since their inception and would likely have attend their concert if it were in my city.  Craziness.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Pointedstick wrote:
If there's any personally-applicable lesson to learn here, it's this: if they try it here, shoot back. Carry your guns. I'm wearing one right now and you should be too. Don't go down without a fight. Do your part to protect your society and your civilization.
That's why they won't try it here, or if they do, they won't be very successful.
Unless it's in a "gun free zone", of course.  :(
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Gosso wrote: The Eagles of Death Metal, the so called "American Band" at the concert hall is a band that I have followed since their inception and would likely have attend their concert if it were in my city.  Craziness.
What so-called; they're from California.
RIP Marcello Gandini
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Obama just told me that we can't rush to judge who was behind this, so I'm going to wait and see.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Pointedstick wrote:
That's why they won't try it here, or if they do, they won't be very successful.
Unless it's in a "gun free zone", of course.  :(
I suppose in most states, rock concerts and sports stadia are gun free zones.
Stay free, my friends.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:18 pm

dualstow wrote:
Gosso wrote: The Eagles of Death Metal, the so called "American Band" at the concert hall is a band that I have followed since their inception and would likely have attend their concert if it were in my city.  Craziness.
What so-called; they're from California.
I know, but from the media I have watched they were being referred to as just the "american rock band", or something along the lines of the "Eagles of Rock Music".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:27 pm

Ah, I see.
RIP Marcello Gandini
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:51 am

Reub wrote: Any doubt that it's emissaries of the religion of peace? Dozens dead all over Paris. A hundred young hostages.

Is someone proposing that we stick our heads in the sand?

Far from sticking our heads in the sand, didn't a U.S. drone just turn that guy who was cutting off people's heads last year into a pile of charred lunchmeat earlier this week?
Last edited by MediumTex on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:36 am

It does some like just yesterday (It's been 2 years) that many of us were saying ISIS is none of our business and it's not "coming to our town" and nothing to worry about.
Now, we've already had two attacks in Paris alone.
Next stop, Times Square?
I'm glad we're better at thwarting attacks than France is, but how do you stop every single attempt?
RIP Marcello Gandini
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:16 am

dualstow wrote: It does some like just yesterday (It's been 2 years) that many of us were saying ISIS is none of our business and it's not "coming to our town" and nothing to worry about.
Next stop, Times Square?
I'm glad we're better at thwarting attacks than France is, but how do you stop every single attempt?
Please link us to what "many of us" were actually saying. I don't think anyone thinks Isis to not a threat at all, nor that they couldn't possibly "Come to our town."  Of course they are "our business" to a degree.  The question is whether they are a catastrophic threat to the safety of our country (or Europe) worthy of engaging in permanent war with.

Application of soft power or sanctions is far, far different than a state of permanent war.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:30 am

Pointedstick wrote:
These kinds of attacks don't work well in concealed carry states!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:53 am

moda0306 wrote:
dualstow wrote: It does some like just yesterday (It's been 2 years) that many of us were saying ISIS is none of our business and it's not "coming to our town" and nothing to worry about.
Next stop, Times Square?
Please link us to what "many of us" were actually saying. I don't think anyone thinks Isis to not a threat at all, nor that they couldn't possibly "Come to our town."
~
I like how, in the process of calling me on quotes, you changed "are not" to "couldn't possibly." At least you wisely left that part out of the quotes.But anyway, here's the first example of what I was thinking of. Took about 6 seconds to find.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... ghborhood/

I'm not going to comb through all the ISIS search results, just to show that my memory of two years ago is more accurate than yours from one post ago, Moda. But, if you want to look for yourself, I seem to remember such turns of phrase as "burn themselves out" or "will burn itself out."

And let me be clear: I did not mean for my post above to sound like an "I told you so." The same people who said that ISIS was not a big threat to the West are members that I consider to be friends, here. Hell, I may have even been one of them! That's why I said many of us and not "many of you." I'm just saying that it is rather startling, what strides ISIS has made since we first heard of them. At least, to me it's startling.
RIP Marcello Gandini
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:13 am

dualstow wrote:
moda0306 wrote:
Next stop, Times Square?
Please link us to what "many of us" were actually saying. I don't think anyone thinks Isis to not a threat at all, nor that they couldn't possibly "Come to our town."
~
I like how, in the process of calling me on quotes, you changed "are not" to "couldn't possibly." At least you wisely left that part out of the quotes.But anyway, here's the first example of what I was thinking of. Took about 6 seconds to find.

http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... ghborhood/

I'm not going to comb through all the ISIS search results, just to show that my memory of two years ago is more accurate than yours from one post ago, Moda. But, if you want to look for yourself, I seem to remember such turns of phrase as "burn themselves out" or "will burn itself out."

And let me be clear: I did not mean for my post above to sound like an "I told you so." The same people who said that ISIS was not a big threat to the West are members that I consider to be friends, here. Hell, I may have even been one of them! That's why I said many of us and not "many of you." I'm just saying that it is rather startling, what strides ISIS has made since we first heard of them. At least, to me it's startling.
Sorry for misquoting you. I wasn't trying to engage in hyperbole.

That link really shows no hard opinions on the matter.

The most dovish thing I think I've seen on this board about ISIS is that they are not a catastrophic threat to the US and we shouldn't use them as an excuse to engage in permanent war. I don't think I've seen anything more extreme than that.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:19 am

Hey, I'm all for dovishness when the horse isn't already out of the barn.

Took a break from my soupmaking and found a quote from my beloved Jan Van (Goldmember avatar)
At some point Isis will self implode, you heard it here first!
http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/ot ... y-isis/72/
Let's hope it's sooner rather than later, Jan.  ;)
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:25 am

Elsewhere-
(Clacy) Someone, somewhere has to stand up to these barbarians.  The US certainly can't do it alone, but there is NO WAY they can be defeated without the US's leadership (as well as money/weapons/etc).
By the way, Clacy nailed it more than anyone else on this forum. Early and often.

fnord, who is far and away the most helpful math guy on the forum, replied. And fnord, I envy you your pacifism, but looking back...I don't know. As bad as Iraq was, maybe turning away is not an option.

(fnord)Why is the US leadership required? Why do we need to defeat them?

Let's say they setup a crazy, behead-happy theocracy in western Iraq and eastern Syria, mostly composed of Sunnis.  Why is this our problem?  The US is running massive deficits.  Saudi Arabia has a budget surplus of tens to hundreds of billions of dollars a year. Why not let Saudi Arabia deal with them?  Germany has had budget surpluses recently in the billions - why not let them deal with it?  Both countries are much closer to Syria/Iraq than we are.

Why should we bankrupt our country further and impose massive debt on our children to try to force the population in the area in question to live under an oppressive government we pick rather than one they pick?
For the record, I agreed in several places about how Saudi Arabia should really step up. The only problem is that they don't do enough.

Edit: fixed quote tags.
Last edited by dualstow on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:26 am

Reub wrote: Maybe if we stick our heads in the sand they'll like us and they won't come here?
If the choice is either to stick our heads in the sand or respond to this attack the way we did to the 9/11 attacks, I will take the first option.

Especially if this is the result of waging war on Isis...

http://www.fox8live.com/story/30428985/ ... ew-orleans
Last edited by Fred on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:08 am

What we need to stop is the invade the world/invite the world insanity. One or the other, preferably both. But for Christ's sake, if we're going to bomb or attack a region of the world, we can't let their refugees into our country! Those are people who are going to be bitter and angry, avoid assimilating, and be a drain on the economy, and their kids will become gang members or domestic terrorists.

When it comes to ISIS, I think the USA has less to worry about then Europe because of the geographic distance, but it's clear that these lunatics want to blue us up too, they just haven't figured out a wood way yet. I propose a total ban on all immigration and visa issuance to Muslims and Arabs until ISIS is dead and gone, and a ramping up of concealed carry laws throughout the country, with federal pre-emption of gun-free zones. If the terrorists want to try a Mumbai/Paris-style attack here, let them eat bullets.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:17 am

Pointedstick wrote: I propose a total ban on all immigration and visa issuance to Muslims and Arabs until ISIS is dead and gone,
It must suck to be a Muslim fleeing Assad, only to find yourself unwanted by a large group of people in your new homeland because of the actions of a few from your old homeland. But, the world is (still) unfair. This is the cruel reality we're living in.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:39 am

Long-term, I think it would be in the west's interests to help the middle-eastern states stabilize and become nicer places to live so the substantial number of people living there don't turn to terrorism and flee their oppressive governments, civil wars, or political violence. Easier said than done, obviously.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:31 am

Pointedstick wrote: Long-term, I think it would be in the west's interests to help the middle-eastern states stabilize and become nicer places to live so the substantial number of people living there don't turn to terrorism and flee their oppressive governments, civil wars, or political violence. Easier said than done, obviously.
Sure, but an obvious first step is for the US military to get out of there and stay out.
Jake

Post by Jake » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:03 am

Days like today remind me of the article that Harry Browne wrote on September 12th, 2001.

http://www.antiwar.com/orig/browne2.html