Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Discussion of the Gold portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Post by steve » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:38 am

I capitulated, I sold all my GTU that was held in taxable account to take advantage of a tax loss harvest, I bought IAU which has a low expense ratio. With Sprott extending the offer another time I thought this was a good time to get out. GTU expenses have been going up because of the Sprott hostile take over battle, I know that I do not want to own Sprott PHY because of high expenses and the way the company operates so for now I'm out. One of the key things about the PP is that you do not have to worry or follow it so close. I was happy with GTU and more then likely I would have just held without doing a tax loss harvest, but the thought of having to figure out my taxes and new tax forms  if Sprott takes over succeeds  was part of my reasoning to get out.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sprott Intends to Make Exchange Offers for Central GoldTrust and Silver Bullion

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 am

I'm envious, Steve. For me it would not be a loss harvest, just a loss.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:00 am

Now Sprott is attacking the GTU trustees for running up legal bills defending against a hostile takeover... initiated, of course, by Sprott!

"Over the first nine months of 2015, the GTU and SBT Trustees have spent in excess of US$7 million of unitholders' money on litigation they initiated and campaigns against parties seeking change at the respective funds."

(from http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sprott ... 2015-11-11)

I think they have generated a new entry for the definition of "chutzpah".  :P
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:34 am

I'm going to start mailing all of the notices I get in the mail back to Sprott.

They will have to hire hundreds of new employees to manage this volume of mail.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm with you, AdamA. Getting pretty tired of the junk mail Sprott is sending. Was even called at home, ugh.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:32 pm

http://m.marketwired.com/press-release/ ... 074806.htm

Maybe this is their way of trying to get Sprott to leave them alone.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:32 pm

11/26/2015

"Today, Central GoldTrust ("GoldTrust") entered into a new definitive agreement with Purpose Investments Inc. ("Purpose") regarding the conversion of GoldTrust into a gold bullion exchange traded fund ("ETF") managed by Purpose and Central Gold Managers. The proposed ETF conversion,  which is subject to unitholder approval,  has the unanimous support of your Independent Trustees and represents an exciting opportunity for GoldTrust unitholders."

"The proposed conversion is expected to immediately result in the units trading in-line with net asset value ("NAV"), to eliminate any material future discounts to NAV and provide unitholders with significantly enhanced liquidity,  consistent with other gold bullion ETFs."

"Put simply: the proposed ETF conversion represents a clearly superior alternative for all GoldTrust unitholders compared to Sprott's inadequate offer."
Last edited by Reub on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:19 pm

Interesting development.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:30 pm

What does that mean for us?  Higher expenses?  Different taxation?
jason
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jason » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:07 pm

I've owned GTU for years and I haven't been interested in the Sprott offer until now.  I bought GTU for four reasons: 1. It's in Canada, giving me at least some level of international diversification (I live in the US). 2. It's a closed end fund, which has lower tax rate than gold ETFs.  3.  In the very unlikely event gold in the US is confiscated like it was an 1933, it may not be affected and 4. I had the perception that it was less likely to be leveraged (have fractional reserves) than an ETF like GLD or IAU. 
I chose GTU over Sprott because Sprott's redemption feature can cause the fund to realize capital gains, triggering capital gains taxes that are to be absorbed by the shareholders.  GTU dos not have this issue.
Now GTU is saying they are changing over to become an ETF??  That makes little sense to me.  Anyone who was looking for an ETF would have bought IAU, GLD, etc., not GTU, right?  Am I going to lose all benefits that made me choose to buy GTU over IAU in the first place?
If so, I think I will vote to accept the Sprott offer.
But then there is a chance that both the Sprott offer and the ETF switch over could both get voted down. 
So, I am conflicted - should I vote to accept the Sprott offer, or should I just do nothing?  What I really want is to just keep GTU, with no changes.
It seems like there is a chess match going on here that I don't really understand.
Thanks!
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 pm

I just saw a notice from Fidelity that said that GTU's trustees have been replaced, effective immediately, by a board selected by a Sprott entity. Here's the relevant part of the announcement:

'GTU (US$)) announced today the removal of Brian E. Felske, Glenn C. Fox, Bruce D. Heagle, Ian M.T. McAvity, Michael A. Parente and Jason Schwandt as trustees of GoldTrust and the appointment of Marc Faber, James R. Fox, Sharon Ranson, John Wilson and Rosemary Zigrossi (the "Appointed Trustees") as trustees of GoldTrust. The removal and appointment of trustees was made pursuant to a written resolution of Sprott Asset Management Gold Bid LP, as the holder of powers of attorney from unitholders owning approximately 55.11% of the outstanding units of GoldTrust. The Appointed Trustees, in addition to J.C. Stefan Spicer, who was nominated as a trustee by Central Gold Managers Inc., the administrator of GoldTrust, shall remain trustees of GoldTrust until the next annual meeting of GoldTrust or until such trustees cease to hold office prior thereto.'

I find it very hard to believe that the unitholders realized that they were giving Sprott powers of attorney that authorized that. I also find it hard to believe that the "former trustees" are going to take this lying down, especially since I'm pretty sure that they got a court to tell Sprott they couldn't do that, as it violates Canadian security laws.

It's also not mentioned on the GTU website. I wish I had seen this earlier today so I could contact GTU and ask them what is going on.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Interesting that GTU says "The ETF Conversion is not expected to have any material adverse tax effect on GoldTrust or its unitholders and will preserve GoldTrust’s tax efficient structure"

Since I did buy some at a premium, however, I'd like the opportunity to liquidate at a premium in the future
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:55 pm

So how are you guys votings?
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LazyInvestor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:58 pm

This is getting annoying. Not sure what to do...
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:04 pm

MangoMan wrote: I don't think it matters any more. Sprott now controls >50% of the voting shares.
I thought some votes needed more than a simple majority
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:06 pm

dragoncar wrote:
MangoMan wrote: I don't think it matters any more. Sprott now controls >50% of the voting shares.
They decided to replace the trustees to make an end-run around the rules.

Whether they will get away with this is another matter.
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
dragoncar wrote:

There's still the vote for ETF conversion though
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:03 am

dragoncar wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:
dragoncar wrote: I thought some votes needed more than a simple majority

There's still the vote for ETF conversion though
so how are people planing to vote on the etf question?
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:48 am

Would the etf not require actual physical gold backing and would GTU then lose its tax advantages?
steve
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by steve » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:47 pm

I held GTU for years and was quite happy until Sprott got into the picture. Discounts and premiums never bothered me because I follow the PP and it only benefited me. Not long ago I sold all my GTU for tax loss harvest purposes and picked up more physical bullion to add to my core gold and switched the rest to IAU.  Not long after I had the opportunity to do another tax loss harvest with IAU and now have GLD.  Other options I am looking into are Merk gold trust ticker OUNZ.  I like to have some online gold for easy re balance and tax loss harvest purposes  I have also found a reasonable cost safe deposit box insurance that I am looking into which helps minimize risks if a large amount is held.    https://safedepositboxinsurance.com/  If anyone has information about safe deposit box insurance I would love to hear from you.
rickb
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by rickb » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:56 pm

steve wrote: If anyone has information about safe deposit box insurance I would love to hear from you.
See http://gyroscopicinvesting.com/forum/go ... your-gold/
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:09 pm

steve wrote: I held GTU for years and was quite happy until Sprott got into the picture. Discounts and premiums never bothered me because I follow the PP and it only benefited me. Not long ago I sold all my GTU for tax loss harvest purposes...
Agree. Down on GTU now that it looks like it may be converted either to an ETF or to PHYS. Thinking of just selling for tax loss harvest myself. Current "discount" -1.3. Better to sell now or wait for possible conversation?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:43 pm

I sold it all and replaced it with Schwab's commission-free SGOL. Too much drama for my taste.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:02 pm

I'm keeping it because I love getting mail!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:56 pm

Reub wrote: I'm keeping it because I love getting mail!
I must have thrown out 7 copies of the latest mailings. Slice open the plastic, recycle the paper...
As soon as it hits breakeven, I'm selling it. I hope I don't have to wait 20 years.
RIP Marcello Gandini