Sign Up at IRS.gov, SSA.gov, AnnualCreditReport.com Before Thieves Do It For You

General Discussion on the Permanent Portfolio Strategy

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Sign Up at IRS.gov, SSA.gov, AnnualCreditReport.com Before Thieves Do It For You

Post by MachineGhost »

Need I say more?  The security is weak as hell, so it's a race to the finish.  IRS.gov is especially bad in how easy it is to get all the taxpayer information needed to file fraudulent returns.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sign Up at IRS.gov, SSA.gov, AnnualCreditReport.com Before Thieves Do It For You

Post by MachineGhost »

MangoMan wrote: Already signed up at SS and ACR ages ago.
How does one sign up/in to IRS.gov?
Took me a while to figure it out.  Use this link and it will let create a login account: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Be advised that despite the character limits stated, it wants a lot less maximum characters for the username, password and phrase.  I also had to physically type in the password to get it to pass, despite using Roboform's generator.  Took me a bloody half an hour of retrying to finally get it to submit.  Only the government can be such a royal pain in the ass like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Sign Up at IRS.gov, SSA.gov, AnnualCreditReport.com Before Thieves Do It For You

Post by sophie »

Many thanks MG!  I wouldn't have thought to do this if you hadn't posted this.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Krebs has an article on this if you want more information.
sixdollars

Post by sixdollars »

Is there anything else you can really do with ACR besides file forms periodically to monitor for fraud?
"There’s nothing wrong with Harry’s portfolio—nothing at all—but there’s everything wrong with his followers, who seem, on average, to chase performance the way dogs chase cars."

-William J. Bernstein
stpeter

Post by stpeter »

sixdollars wrote: Is there anything else you can really do with ACR besides file forms periodically to monitor for fraud?
Not that I know of. I don't even see a way to register an account there, unless I'm missing something really obvious...
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Tortoise wrote: Looks like you called this one, MG!

Data Thieves Gain Access to 100,000 U.S. Taxpayers' Information: IRS
Wish I could take the glory, but Krebs originally called it.  I was just passing it on.

Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

"The online Get Transcript service is currently unavailable. Transcripts may still be ordered using the Get Transcript by Mail service. We apologize for any inconvenience."

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Looks like the IRS.gov URL in above posts still works....

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."