TLT and interest rates

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

portart
Executive Member
Executive Member

TLT and interest rates

Post by portart »

Looks like TLT's price will be going down for awhile with strong growth numbers published today. I think it says one more report like this and interest rates will most likely start going the other way having bottomed here.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: TLT and interest rates

Post by moda0306 »

The thing is, I really don't know how much LONG rates will adjust.  There's currently about a 0-3.2% spread between long and short rates.  This is a huge spread, historically, so I highly doubt if short rates went to 2%, we'd see long rates at 5.2%, but I could be wrong.  I don't know where I get this, but I sort of see a 4.5% ceiling on long-rates for a while to come, yet...

Not that a 3.2%-to-4.5% jump in rates won't be a drop worth considering to your TLT values.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Ouch. A pretty big hit today. Moda, if you are right, I will be rebalancing into bonds at higher rates and happy for the higher overall yield in my PP (I'll be steadily venting on the way down though. Grrr.).
dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dragoncar »

barrett wrote: Ouch. A pretty big hit today. Moda, if you are right, I will be rebalancing into bonds at higher rates and happy for the higher overall yield in my PP (I'll be steadily venting on the way down though. Grrr.).
That's a spicy meatball.... but I still hate gold more.