Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 pm

Where the heck did this one come from? This is a black swan if ever there was one.

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Immediate 5% across-the-board Mexican tariffs

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 30, 2019 8:33 pm

"On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied, at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow."

- DJT
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm

In the details it looks like it will go all the way up to 25% by October 1st. Seriously, this is all just because I'm vesting for a very large chunk of company stock on Monday. FML... seriously... I swapped to a PP so I wouldn't have to stress about stocks anymore, and Trump is hitting me with this 2 trading days before the biggest vesting I am likely to ever have when the market has already been puking. Worst. President. Ever.
Last edited by pmward on Thu May 30, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 pm

I fail to see how stepping on numerous supply chains for companies large and small by having a tax collected in the US by US Government agents helps the immigration issue at all.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:47 pm
I fail to see how stepping on numerous supply chains for companies large and small by having a tax collected in the US by US Government agents helps the immigration issue at all.
It doesn't. It also doesn't help his re-election any.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 30, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah I'm really stressing now. Trump just lost my vote. I am so over the whole nightly Tweet dropping the market thing. I've been planning on selling this stock the day it vests and moving it over to my PP for months now. I had the thought earlier this week to take some profits on my stocks or use some of my cash to buy some puts to hedge my large vesting just in case. I didn't do it though because the company stock seemed to be catching support the last few days. I'm really regretting not doing that right now. It will be pointless to sell any stock or short tomorrow too because it's going to be a bloodbath right at the open. I'm at the mercy of what the stock does between now and Monday when I can finally sell it and move on. All of my vestings after this will be 1/4 the size and spread out every 3 months, so it won't be this stressful. I'm just in awe of how bad my luck in timing is for this.

The only thing I'm thankful for is that I moved over to the GB a couple months back. I would be in much worse shape if I didn't have the bonds, gold, and cash, so I guess there is a sliver of silver lining.
Last edited by pmward on Thu May 30, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 9:21 pm

pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu May 30, 2019 9:24 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:33 pm
"On June 10th, the United States will impose a 5% Tariff on all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming through Mexico, and into our Country, STOP. The Tariff will gradually increase until the Illegal Immigration problem is remedied, at which time the Tariffs will be removed. Details from the White House to follow."

- DJT
This is Trump making good on his campaign promise to 'make Mexico pay for the wall'. There may be some short term pain, but my prediction is that it works to reduce illegal immigration. Time will tell.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 pm

pmward wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm
In the details it looks like it will go all the way up to 25% by October 1st. Seriously, this is all just because I'm vesting for a very large chunk of company stock on Monday. FML... seriously... I swapped to a PP so I wouldn't have to stress about stocks anymore, and Trump is hitting me with this 2 trading days before the biggest vesting I am likely to ever have when the market has already been puking. Worst. President. Ever.
Maybe I don't fully understand, but isn't it better if the stock is worth less on the day you vest? = lower taxes?
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:26 pm
pmward wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm
Maybe I don't fully understand, but isn't it better if the stock is worth less on the day you vest? = lower taxes?
No, because I only pay 25% of it in taxes... it's much less money I see as the stock goes down. The higher the price, the more money I will get.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 9:24 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:33 pm

- DJT
This is Trump making good on his campaign promise to 'make Mexico pay for the wall'. There may be some short term pain, but my prediction is that it works to reduce illegal immigration. Time will tell.
Mexico doesn't pay for Tariffs, we do. He just passed the border wall funding off on the American public with the bill due starting in less than 2 weeks. And neither the wall nor the tariffs are going to do squat for illegal immigration. It's a joke.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu May 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Tarriffs won't cost me anything because I'll just buy less. That'll be good for the economy