drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

bud split

Post by drumminj » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm
So... It's literally what he wanted.
Personally I very much appreciate it as well. Many threads lately seems to devolve into dealing with Budd and his moods -- it's a huge distraction.

You've shown great restraint, Xan, and openness to other ideas, but IMO this was long overdue.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:49 am

Xan wrote:
Don wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Tyler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Nah. Budd both figuratively and literally asked to be banned. I support Xan.
Ban all speech that we disagree with. That's so leftist these days. And pathetic.
Don, this was not at all about disagreeing. I've said over and over again that he's welcome to disagree. Many people here aren't PPers, and that's fine. Libertarian666 for example is I guess the mirror image of Budd in terms of investing philosophy, but he doesn't run around calling everybody names and saying how stupid they are for investing the way they do.

It would be similarly unacceptable for a rabid PPer to hang around the forum telling Libertarian666 and Desert and Pointed Stick and whoever else that they're unintelligent for doing something different from the PP. It's not the ideas, it's the behavior.

It's really, really hard to get banned from this forum. Budd was banned primarily because he asked to be. Earlier today in this thread he asked how to delete his account. I said that some combination of a ban and deleting his posts would be what we could do. Then he asked to be banned. So... It's literally what he wanted.
Yes, as a serious deviant from the PP philosophy, I respect those who follow it. As HB pointed out long ago, no one is going to repay you for losses that you incur by following any suggested investment approach. As an individual investor, the only one you have to answer to is yourself.
johntaylor
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by johntaylor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:22 pm

thanks @Xan for making this decision. You took great caution and patience with Budd and it was fully clear this was what Budd wanted himself also. As a beginner in PP and GI I can confirm that the info on GI can be very confusing if you want to inform yourself about the basics of PP, but it also pushes you to dig deeper and make your own substantiated decisions on your portfolio. That said, now Budd is no longer around it will become very silent in the GOLD scream room. Maybe someone can organize a Budd meme regularly popping up as soon as spikes and (especially) dips in the gold price arrive ;)
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Budd had about 2000 posts. I remember a lot of hand holding from med tex and craig. Nobody on this board has had more support from others. When you have had this high level of support and want to be banned it is OK by me.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:05 pm

Xan wrote:
Don wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Tyler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Nah. Budd both figuratively and literally asked to be banned. I support Xan.
Ban all speech that we disagree with. That's so leftist these days. And pathetic.
Don, this was not at all about disagreeing. I've said over and over again that he's welcome to disagree. Many people here aren't PPers, and that's fine. Libertarian666 for example is I guess the mirror image of Budd in terms of investing philosophy, but he doesn't run around calling everybody names and saying how stupid they are for investing the way they do.

It would be similarly unacceptable for a rabid PPer to hang around the forum telling Libertarian666 and Desert and Pointed Stick and whoever else that they're unintelligent for doing something different from the PP. It's not the ideas, it's the behavior.

It's really, really hard to get banned from this forum. Budd was banned primarily because he asked to be. Earlier today in this thread he asked how to delete his account. I said that some combination of a ban and deleting his posts would be what we could do. Then he asked to be banned. So... It's literally what he wanted.
It's hard to get banned from this forum? Are you sure?

Budd was an asset to this place and deserves to be here. You need to put on your big boy pants if you can't handle what he's saying.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:44 pm

For whatever it's worth, I think you did the right thing, Xan.

Budd was certainly a cautionary tale that money can't buy happiness. The guy is worth $13M and yet he's still coming on here constantly to whine when gold goes down a little bit. I don't think he kicked the tires enough before buying the vehicle, and then he felt like he'd been burned by a shifty salesman, when really he only had himself to blame for not understanding the role that gold is supposed to play, which I still think he doesn't understand despite our repeated ad nauseam best efforts to explain it.

Xan, if I ever confess that I have over $5M to my name, and I'm still coming on here to complain about anything, please ban me too.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:44 pm

If I ever act like a turd, I wouldn't fault ya'll for rickrolling the fuck out of me.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:44 pm
If I ever act like a turd, I wouldn't fault ya'll for rickrolling the fuck out of me.
You’re the funniest person here, an Anti-turd.
Hmm, even with the anti that’s not a pleasant title, is it.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 pm

So freedom of speech means nothing to you?

"Hey, I don't like what that guy's saying. Let's ban him. "Here, here!"
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Don wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 pm
So freedom of speech means nothing to you?

"Hey, I don't like what that guy's saying. Let's ban him. "Here, here!"
Can't please everyone, I guess.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_mille ... the_donkey

Don, the ban was Budd's idea. Take it up with him if you'd like. Your characterization is unfair in many ways. Also it's "hear, hear".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:23 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm
Can't please everyone, I guess.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_mille ... the_donkey
Good parable. I should have used that in college when friends walked in successively & messed with my equalizer.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 am

I agree Xan, you made the right call.

Doesn't stop me from feeling a bit sorry for Budd but then it's hard to feel sorry for a guy with $13 million in the bank. Also some of his posts were kind of fun to read, in the same way that you just can't stop watching a car accident.